Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just finished a Army CLS class, Heres the opening video. What would you do?

For the Love of Cats

wow. just wow.

Done right?

Primary:
    ABC

1. Airway? He wasn't breathing the greatest but he was breathing - move on.
    2. Bleeding - stop the bleeding (tourneys on arm/leg (bandage arm)) (still breathing? move on)
    3. Circulation - IV to replace missing blood. Still breathing? major bleeding still stopped? - move on.

Secondary:
    1. check and stop additional bleeding - a bunch of small bleeders can be as life threatening as one big one.
    2. immobilize - get onto stretcher to facilitate evacuation, and to prevent additional damage.

Done wrong?

- He clearly breathed easier while in a more vertical position, they could have propped the stretcher up to elevate the head to make it easier.
    - Granted the head was a mess, but they should have bandaged/wrapped the wounds at the very least to keep the dust/dirt out. I know they had to allow the blood to flow out, or it would have backed up inside and drowned him, but they should have been able to staunch it somewhat.
    - good eye on the right side lung issues Stormy - they should have elevated the left side of the stretcher to ensure that the good lung was higher than the bad.
    - I don't know if it would be considered 'wrong' per se, but given the damage to his face, they should have intubated him. Had he stopped breathing, as it was (at any time prior to reaching a hospital operating room) they would have been in a mad panic to do it while his brain quickly died. Why not a 'wrong'? they may not have had the equipment or expertise to do so. Personally, I would have been more inclined to do a tracheotomy, or at the very least placed a scalpel (wrapped) and a tube on his chest, ready to go. (for either option)

That is all for now...
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Bacon saver

Well all I can tell ya is when I watched it the first time it was interrupted by MIL.... was using the speakers then tried to finish watching it. Then said screw it and sat down and went full screen with the head phones and the volume turned all the way up. I could hear almost everything but I could get a better effect and it was a one shot deal. All I can say is......I guess maybe I assessed myself at the same time. It was a bit of a rush for the 'ol SAR dude.. Personally I think they did a hellofa job patchin his ass up and getting his ass out!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
    My initial knee jerk when I started watching was to check for pulse, then the classic start the breathing, stop the bleeding, check for wounds, treat for shock. He obviously started breathing again after a moment. Tourniquets would've been a given. Any discoloration would've been a red flag for internal bleeding. Thats my extent of interpretation and abilities. Collapsed lungs etc are beyond my abilities. However I am confident I could perform a field expedient tracheotomy.
    By knowing what to look for, you can bypass the field expedient trach sometimes. But the smart money is to put a nasal pharyngeal in, it doesnt hurt the situation any, and can only help either way. Collapsed lungs are easy to deal with, thats where you use the 2nd rib down from the clavicle and punch him with a hypo/angiocath. Allows the lung to fill back up with air, which air in the body = 99% good stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vodin View Post
    May I use this link on another site? I will respect your wishes Stormfeather.
    Of course you can, its open source material. I would like to see other peoples opinions, so when ya post it, can ya link it back to us here?
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Do you have a robot?
    Stormfeather thanks for the post. Yesterday my daughter started an intensive EMT course I sent the link to her and told her to pass it around to see what their assessments of it would be so I might be a little. There is an active shooter segment of the course and I asked her to get the input of her instructors. She said she wasn't sure if he knew about it, I told her I wanted my money back if he didn't.

This situation would be nice to have suction to get some of the crap and blood out of the airway. Many times the decision to sit up will be left to the patient and it is usually correct. The problem with the Sked is you really can't prop them up because if has not sturcture. These guys did a hell of a job, calm and efficient.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    So far awkward silence. Guess you need to have been in that type of situation to comprehend it. Will keep you posted Stormfeather.
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

Bacon saver

Go back to me being the "First Responder" on the thread. "31 views, no replies" some people just go blank. That's why I went "full effect" took a little trip so to speak. Full effect was just what "I" needed for a little kick in the pants and gee, what are the odds a couple of days later, a huge mass casualty of over 100 dropped on your doorstep all GSWs. Sucking chest wounds arterial s from hell, gut shots, bleeders, SHOCK, SHOCK, SHOCK...that's what ya get in a gun fight. Granted it wasn't really but just an example, take you and your band of merry men and women get into a "skirmish", think about all the holes you're going to have to assess and fix in the aftermath. GREAT TRAINING let's keep it up!

OK, back on track before I derail but that is what this is all about is it not? As I said earlier, I'm going to base this all off of a one time running off my little "trip". All I could think of was airway. Stormy said "nasal" from my perspective I couldn't tell I could hear him breathing, from what I saw, I couldn't the condition of his mouth other than his teeth were blown out,. What's gone down the pipe? The nasal is only good for so far down,"I" just couldn't tell. So they might the right call obviously. My "old" training was "if they were breathing, fine, if there was rasping, then we got a problem, if there is none(breathing), then we check it for an obstruction and we got clear it and get some air in there." A lot of that training came and comes from "in your face" experience. Every casualty is different and yet the same.............they suck. OK, got a little trng. I need to conduct myself, out!

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I had nothing to say about this, because I was never taught that level of first aid. If he had to rely on me, he probably would not have done so well.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I'll most likely shit myself

I'm with Helo. Other than pressure or a TQ on the bleeds, I wouldn't know where to start.

I have been following this thread trying to pick up any little nugget I can. But since I had zero to add I've just been reading posts. But without support, both material and transport, and somewhere with doctors I don't see how anyone would make it very long in a similar situation.

For the Love of Cats

Don't condemn the masses too quickly BWRR...

I was one of the 31... actually I was at least eight or ten of the 31. I clicked on the thread several times at work over a couple days, but could not watch a video there (firewall). I tried from home as well, but my internet sucks at best, and the video failed to play multiple times. After your post I went into work early and watched it on my laptop, when no one else was there. It took a while, but once I could actually watch it, I was all over it like a band-aid on a spurting artery!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Bacon saver

There there Little Bear. It's all square. No condemnation here, only our government "condemns" things. Like it means something to them anyway, like it's going to make it all better.

No hey not everyone here has had training or experience. Mine is/was limited to what was provided, then the real world hit............totally different scenarios almost everyone, others were textbook EMT. Nothing can prepare you for what will happen then again it may never happen all. Some guys in the military spent their whole careers waiting for that one rescue, that one save. To most it never comes, to some there are too many, and to others they take it in and pass it on and become our mentors. People we want to emulate.......sometimes wish they didn't. I had a few that got out because of it.

Now me..............I can see it's time to ramp up on my training and refresh my skills, any volunteers. One of my "young sailors" finished up CLS down at FT. Swamp, Polk. I am supposed to get a digital copy of said training materials............standing by for that one.

What about you Stormy, you get a digital copy? Maybe we could disseminate this when one of us gets it?