Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
31 views, no replies.......OK, here we go. So they are checking for wires, looks like they just got to that area and are doing a sweep. Comment "Looks like they were pre-staging" the ANA guy walks up says a few words and no one stops him as he walks through. They were obviously getting ready to move forward once they were SURE it was clear, not just there, but out in the distance as well. I'll just call this the unknown factor at this point and straight to the shit. All I kept thinking was AIRWAY!. The guy's helmet cam prevented most of my initial assessment of his head injuries so my head is ducking around my laptop trying to get a better view. Tourniquet, everything gets a "T" nowadays, they hit they limbs immediately. Initial assessment was L leg and arm, Head injury was jaw, teeth blown out, needed to do a sweep, took like what seemed an eternity till I heard the words. I was wondering why they didn't tube him to prevent aspirating on any frags or blood. He was all set to do a "trache", changed his mind when the other medic got there. They did a secondary(clothes off) once they got him somewhat tuned up, bandaged up left arm (almost looked as though the "T" wasn't needed) I wasn't there, can't say for sure. You might as well skip the dirt thing, we ain't in Kansas any more Toto. Shit dude all I can tell you I was white knuckling it like there was no tomorrow trying to get my hands in there. Fuckin shit sucks! All I can say is when shit like this goes down it's a flailex, you pray you did all the right things. Even though you did you'll always second guess yourself, the day you stop is the day you fuck it up.

Now having said that and watching this twice (thanks for the memories Stormy!) I know I missed shit, I watched it without stopping it because that's how it happened, then made my critique as best I could from the chaos. Now you (Stormy) being the "graduate" can fire away.

Did you go to Ft. Carson or Polk?
He was still to with it to do any invasive airway management without a crap load of ketamine. They are truly limited in the field with what they can do. Hell, I don't even know if they have suction in those kits that's worth anything...