Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just finished a Army CLS class, Heres the opening video. What would you do?

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues

Just finished a Army CLS class, Heres the opening video. What would you do?

So, we went thru a CLS (Combat Lifesaver Class) which is your normal deployment first aid class. The difference with ours, is we get an upgraded version done by former SF medics versus the run of the mill one done by Active Army. They opened up the class showing this video, and asked, what went right, what went wrong?

Take a look, and give me your diagnosis.

WARNING, this aint pretty in no way/shape/form.

https://www.funker530.com/graphic-vi...-steps-on-ied/
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Bacon saver

31 views, no replies.......OK, here we go. So they are checking for wires, looks like they just got to that area and are doing a sweep. Comment "Looks like they were pre-staging" the ANA guy walks up says a few words and no one stops him as he walks through. They were obviously getting ready to move forward once they were SURE it was clear, not just there, but out in the distance as well. I'll just call this the unknown factor at this point and straight to the shit. All I kept thinking was AIRWAY!. The guy's helmet cam prevented most of my initial assessment of his head injuries so my head is ducking around my laptop trying to get a better view. Tourniquet, everything gets a "T" nowadays, they hit they limbs immediately. Initial assessment was L leg and arm, Head injury was jaw, teeth blown out, needed to do a sweep, took like what seemed an eternity till I heard the words. I was wondering why they didn't tube him to prevent aspirating on any frags or blood. He was all set to do a "trache", changed his mind when the other medic got there. They did a secondary(clothes off) once they got him somewhat tuned up, bandaged up left arm (almost looked as though the "T" wasn't needed) I wasn't there, can't say for sure. You might as well skip the dirt thing, we ain't in Kansas any more Toto. Shit dude all I can tell you I was white knuckling it like there was no tomorrow trying to get my hands in there. Fuckin shit sucks! All I can say is when shit like this goes down it's a flailex, you pray you did all the right things. Even though you did you'll always second guess yourself, the day you stop is the day you fuck it up.

Now having said that and watching this twice (thanks for the memories Stormy!) I know I missed shit, I watched it without stopping it because that's how it happened, then made my critique as best I could from the chaos. Now you (Stormy) being the "graduate" can fire away.

Did you go to Ft. Carson or Polk?
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Seriously if this happens to me, please just put me out. I truly don't want to come back from that.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    OK, so here was my assessment...

Primary- tourny the arm and leg. (Stop the bleeding)
    Clear the mouth (Start the breathing)
    Now heres where it gets hinky...

1- Chest is showing Torsion Pneumothorax on right side, coloration and difficulty breathing tells me collapsed lung. So yes, get ready to hit below the 2nd rib down from the clavicle with the angiocath.. then the dude sits up and can breathe fine... So, do you hit him with the needle or let him sit up and breathe? Does it do more harm or good to hit him with the angiocath? Had to make a call, and I was right, let him sit up and breathe on his own versus adding another hole in the guy.
    2- Now.. as BWRR said, I would have also gave him a nasal pharyngeal him since he had all the broken teeth and facial damage, which they didnt do. Not my call, but an additional step to ensure airway was open.
    3- Treat for shock, send out the 9-line, and wait for the bird.

I was down at Bragg.

Now, the interesting part, this guy survived, with only the loss of his foot. So Helomech, while it looks harsh, its survivable.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    OK, so here was my assessment...

Primary- tourny the arm and leg. (Stop the bleeding)
    Clear the mouth (Start the breathing)
    Now heres where it gets hinky...

1- Chest is showing Torsion Pneumothorax on right side, coloration and difficulty breathing tells me collapsed lung. So yes, get ready to hit below the 2nd rib down from the clavicle with the angiocath.. then the dude sits up and can breathe fine... So, do you hit him with the needle or let him sit up and breathe? Does it do more harm or good to hit him with the angiocath? Had to make a call, and I was right, let him sit up and breathe on his own versus adding another hole in the guy.
    2- Now.. as BWRR said, I would have also gave him a nasal pharyngeal him since he had all the broken teeth and facial damage, which they didnt do. Not my call, but an additional step to ensure airway was open.
    3- Treat for shock, send out the 9-line, and wait for the bird.

Now, the interesting part, this guy survived, with only the loss of his foot. So Helomech, while it looks harsh, its survivable.
    Wow, only his one foot? Amazing.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Wants to know if that is a nut tool for a fire hydrant nozzle

My initial knee jerk when I started watching was to check for pulse, then the classic start the breathing, stop the bleeding, check for wounds, treat for shock. He obviously started breathing again after a moment. Tourniquets would've been a given. Any discoloration would've been a red flag for internal bleeding. Thats my extent of interpretation and abilities. Collapsed lungs etc are beyond my abilities. However I am confident I could perform a field expedient tracheotomy.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Overall, Im impressed. Field emergency room shit sucks ass. They did what they could with what they had. Most impressive was from boom to dust off in less than 10 minutes, maybe 20 to the MASH (Im old skool) so the golden hour was still salvaged.

That poor fucker, man he took a hell of a hit!

My CLS was not by SF. But I was on the rescue squad 6 years, ran hundreds of calls, some looked almost like that but were MVA.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

I have still yet to grow a brain
    I passed over everyone's reply to mention these 2 things. 1st thing I would say is in no way am I saying those providing aid where wrong or could have done it better.

The 2 issues I saw
    1 the lead aid provider had one of his hands with no glove. I have always been taught protect yourself first. (Minor yes but I believe it is a valid position with an unknown victim.)
    2 he did not elevate the neck to provide a better clear of the airway. (He was breathing yest but there had to be bodily fluids draining into his esophagus..
    My final analysis of the situation is a simple one no mater what improper, incorrect or devastating impact it had on the victim. The victim was transferred alive to a better trained group of individuals.
    This only comes from one with minor instruction from CERT training.
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    May I use this link on another site? I will respect your wishes Stormfeather.
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Id have to watch again, but IIRC they never actually got the IV started.. which is not great... The moment they could have stuck him would have been the best chance to get a vein, *before* he goes hypo and/or shock and the veins are impossible to find (for field medics anyway...).

Airway... It may have not been perfect, but it was working... From what I see, short of an EOA I dont see anything working, and he was too conscious to be a candidate.. he would have fought it.

TK on the leg was a good call, Im thinking the TK going on the arm was for the intended IV.

I cant believe that dude was sitting up at one point! Jesus!

EB

- - - Updated - - -

Actually... my bad, he needed an intubation to keep the airway clear.... EOA would not have done it unless they got a blind intubation by a stroke of luck.
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"