Thread: Maritime Telecommunications U.S. VHF Channels & Freqs.

Bacon saver

Maritime Telecommunications U.S. VHF Channels & Freqs.

OK for all you Ants that have the capabilities and are within range of said coasts and waterways, give this a shot and let me know how this works out for you. I know there are some of you that have handhelds that can pull this off. Good Luck!

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtVhf

Be advised there is a lot of dirt on this site so don't get too lost!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    If you pick the right freqs, no one in land would be listening or using it. Im so far from water I can run 100w and no boat would hear me.

It would be a good backup to MURS if you needed to frequency hop!!

You could even setup two radios to tx and rx on different freqs, like a repeater but just for the two.... Would screw up someone's day who was trying to capture the whole conversation!!

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    If you pick the right freqs, no one in land would be listening or using it. Im so far from water I can run 100w and no boat would hear me.

It would be a good backup to MURS if you needed to frequency hop!!

You could even setup two radios to tx and rx on different freqs, like a repeater but just for the two.... Would screw up someone's day who was trying to capture the whole conversation!!

EB
    Duplex operation. Hankers back from the days of a dedicated separate rcvr & xmtr. Sort of thing that would give the wankers at Meade and Bluffdale a workout for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesephist View Post
    Duplex operation. Hankers back from the days of a dedicated separate rcvr & xmtr. Sort of thing that would give the wankers at Meade and Bluffdale a workout for a few days.

Meh. With a laptop and a $20 SDR dongle https://www.amazon.com/NooElec-NESDR...ords=sdr+radio
    you can find and monitor likely frequencies pretty quickly.

Bacon saver

Well I looked at it this way in the original post. I have a pair of Quansheng TG UV-2s and they are capable of loading the maritine freqs. so if I do run to the coast I have a backup marine radio. Also good for SHTF scenario............monitor all boat traffic, hey, just thinkin ahead. If I got it I'll use it, stow it away for later, eh? BUT, due to my current geographic location I was hoping someone out there might be willing to give it a go with one of their units.

All of the suggestions above are relevant and damn good ones. Anything you can do to keep your comms secure. Scramble away!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.