Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: my garden

I am now in the planning stages of the 2017 garden. From the 2016 garden quite a bit of lettuce came up from the plants we let go to seed and we will soon start using some of it. Kale plants are looking and tasting good in salads. My wife's pride n joy is the strawberries and we are already seeing a few early blooms, though this weeks storms and cooler weather will probably stop them from producing soon. I hope to add a few more blueberry bushes to the two we put in last spring. Avocados are doing well, we are using some on a regular basis and giving them to friends. Orange tree has a large crop and will soon be ready to squeeze fresh juice!

My wife and I are discussing what veggies what we will plant soon.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Started planting my garden today. Got the romaine lettuce in the ground today, planting carrots, cucumbers, squash, cayenne, and salad bowl lettuce left to plant. Hoping to get started on the green house again when tax returns come in.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I'll most likely shit myself

My onion slip order showed up,yesterday. They will get planted mid March, along with the taters. Cabbage will get planted in the next week or so. May do some culiflour and book choy as well.

So our strawberries have just been going bonkers. We (ok, my wife mostly) has picked and picked. We have had so many that a few spoiled. She picked a very large bowl this evening, we just finished eating some strawberries with whipped cream. Tomorrow, I think I will make my first attempt at dehydrating strawberries.

Our oranges are very good this year, lots of juice in each fruit. The blueberries are just about ripe. Tasted one today that looked about ripe but it still had some tartness to it. Try again Sunday. Due to the recent hot weather here, in the 90's, most of our lettuce has bolted. I will let it go to seed. Kale is doing well again, I won the aphid battle, though the war never ends. Boysenberries have set and looking good. Our grapes have now set the little berries that become grapes and it appears to be a good crop, if only we can get it before the bears do!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Would it be possible to get some seeds/pits? off of you? I've been wanting to plant some, but cannot find them.
    VERY LATE REPLY... let me check my stash... I may have some for ya still

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a robot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
    So our strawberries have just been going bonkers. We (ok, my wife mostly) has picked and picked. We have had so many that a few spoiled. She picked a very large bowl this evening, we just finished eating some strawberries with whipped cream. Tomorrow, I think I will make my first attempt at dehydrating strawberries.

Our oranges are very good this year, lots of juice in each fruit. The blueberries are just about ripe. Tasted one today that looked about ripe but it still had some tartness to it. Try again Sunday. Due to the recent hot weather here, in the 90's, most of our lettuce has bolted. I will let it go to seed. Kale is doing well again, I won the aphid battle, though the war never ends. Boysenberries have set and looking good. Our grapes have now set the little berries that become grapes and it appears to be a good crop, if only we can get it before the bears do!
    I'm jealous I would like to grow citrus but we get too many cold snaps, I have a hard enough time just keeping the lemons and mandarins from getting frost bit. This year they are getting a set of christmas lights to keep them warm when we get a frost.

I just finished putting four yards of planters mix in the raised beds. I also got what was left over from last years compost pile and added a bunch of material to it. I mixed it up real good some of it is still real wet. I have about ten yards worked up so since it is getting hot now I should have some good compost to spread around sometime in June.

We had so much rain this winter nothing could be planted early. So we planted inside. It seems everything took and is growing good. We have melons, cantaloupe and crain, peppers bell and jalapeno, five different types of tomatoes, spaghetti and crookneck squash.

The fruit trees were all pruned and sprayed this year. We had lots of starter cherries but now they are all gone, nothing is eating them. Almonds, pears, apricots, apples, plums and nectarines are all coming in good. The pomegranates I'm not sure about right yet. They were cut back a lot and had a nice bunch of buds but the heavy raining may have taken their toll. We landscape several areas of the yard with strawberries and they are taking off. I want to plant a bunch of blueberries this year, we only got a few last year. For those of you who have blueberries I understand they like an acid soil? What do you add to them? Thanks
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.