Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: vehicle electronics and EMP

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

I should have said make the equipment work inspite of itself. Expedient field fixes were the norm. cant find the problem replace that continually blowing fuse with a short steel rod- problem found. By pass all interlocks,stuff worked much better that way.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodin View Post
    Batteries will be good. This is the reason I stated a Sine Wave Inverter. Attach it to car battery and convert 12V to 120V
    But wont an inverter be fried as well? There are electronics in it, correct?
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

For the Love of Cats

I cannot think how many times I wrapped those old round fuses in cigarette paper foil and slapped em back in the fuse box, just to drive home... and then forget about them for the next 50,000 miles.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    The original stance was
    "We all know that if an EMP is 'deployed' most of our electrical everything is fucked... so the question is, what parts would you need to stash in your handy dandy Faraday cage to get your rides up and running??"

So all the dead cars on the streets have batteries. Hook up a Sine Wave inverter that was protected in a Faraday cage and you have power for a period of time..

- - - Updated - - -

A friend was having issues with his fuses blowing out and the car would be inop. I clearly and repeatedly stated fix it asap and only do it to get the car to the shop for repair. A month later his car caught fire. Trust no one but yourself was what I learned..
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

Do you have a robot?
    Okay so if you have a vehicle in a wooden garage could you limit the damage from an EMP by taking out the battery and disconnecting the spark plugs? I am considering on getting a UTV and way to harden it as much as possible. If I do get one I plan on storing it in a Conex box to protect it as much as possible as well as get replacement parts for it.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Bacon saver

I think we just need to build and EMP widget and test it out so we can get some solid answers. This is just a guessing game half the time. We need to go fry something and see what happens. Anybody got any ideas????????????
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

There is an awful lotof guess work in determining how shielded/hardened a piece of electronic equipment may be. Size of blast, distance from blast, etc. Every explosion, conventional or not produces an EMP field. Best defense is a steel re-enforced concrete enclosure, with some form of copper or metal mesh curtains to cover window openings, all of which are shunted to ground. Think of it as a large Faraday cage. Dissipation and grounding to kill the EMP are the main goals. For general electronics in civilian hands, electronics stored in a trash can and placed in an underground bunker, or concrete basement should be adequate. Automobiles are another story. Todays cars and trucks have many computers controling among other things fuel delivery, spark and timing, and the transmission. Short of keeping spares and being able to access the area where the computers are, you are basically screwed when it comes to protecting your transportation from EMP. The only other real option is to have a pre 1968 car or truck without the computers.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Watch this, I believe this is very plausible. Got the trashcan and the tape ready to go..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3S2KDuVxaU

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

Here is info on how to build a cage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMct99DiZak

Would a vehicle parked in 3rd level below ground parking structure survive an EMP? There are so many large parking garages with levels going down to 5 levels at least here in So. Cal I would think we would actually see many vehicles survive. Those garages have lots of steel and cement in the structures and are certainly grounded.