Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defense

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Defense

I was discussing armor with my brother and brought a question to mind for the colony....

I know most everyone is geared towards the offensive chain of thought, best weapon, chest rig, nice pack. The question is..........

Do any of you use/have armor?

I have both soft armor and hard plates.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Bacon saver

Hmmmmmm? Good question, however based on the code of conduct and the oath that I took I am only required to give specific information to the enemy. There for, "Brownwater Riverrat 13, Senior Chief Petty Officer (one each), serial number 123-45-6789!"
    So in the interest of OPSEC I'll refrain from answering that one.

Who loves ya Baby? (Kojak) Ooops, forgot my lolypop!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I've got both. My level 2a vest is expired, not gonna throw it out, but wouldn't ask a buddy to shoot it to make sure it works at this point. Lol. Hope it never comes to the point of NEEDING it but I've got hard plates in a chest rig as part of my setup.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Ak, since you mentioned it....me and another buddy actually put rounds into an expired panel and it worked just fine. Of course, this is by no means a qualified test or voucher for anyone elses gear. lol
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    I dont have any, wish I did have some, dont have the money, will construct my operations around the lack of armor... thus, watch your back whilst I sneak up on you because I wont be going toe to toe.

I have this book, it is AWESOME!

https://www.amazon.com/Special-Force.../dp/0873649214

See, were (you, me and millions of other patriots) wont have support like the "real military" does... supply, medical, logistics, etc.. etc..

The "real army" fires thousands of rounds to hit hundreds of targets... We cant just call back for another 5 cases of ball, so we cant behave like that.

Thats the mind set anyway.

So whats the alternative? Small group guerrilla tactics folks... You sneak in close, take out 2 or 3 of the platoon and beat feet. Do this randomly and you should not have incurred any casualties and still made an impact on the enemy.

Brings to mind two important concepts:
    1) Eat an elephant one fork at a time
    2) Live to fight another day

That is all...
    EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Bacon saver

MY advice, go back and watch the second "Red Dawn" and see how the procure their inventory. To steal some quotes, "You keep what you kill", "Claim, claim, Claim", "You weren't using it anyway", "only used once", etc.

I was in a "mood" the other night after something else happened and it (Red Dawn) came on "regae" TV so I grabbed the DVD so I could watch the uncut version. It put me back in the mindset again. I'm sure it was HILLARY......this whole election thing has got me seriously bugged!

Do you have a robot?
    I like US Armor Level IIIA soft body armor. Do not get the level II it is a waste. I have used a Safariland heavy vest with Protech level III plates, they are big and bulky but do the job. The US Armor poly plates will stop the same thing and are half the weight. If you are going to order plates I suggest only the poly plates because of their durability. Ceramic plates although they will stop rifle rounds they are fragile. Ceramic will crack if dropped and even in heavy use they can crack. Steel plates are just too heavy. Now most people wear soft armor and then a light sturdy plate carrier with plates. It makes a very nice package.

As for shooting vests, I generally shoot a vest to demonstrate the effects of handgun, shotgun and rifle rounds on them several times a year. I have yet to have a vest not stop a handgun round. We shot a vest two weeks ago which was made the late 90s and it worked. FYI they all stop shotgun slugs, you just do not want to be wearing it when it is shot......
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

For the Love of Cats

The best body armour in the world wont stop a head shot (planned or accidental)

Easy for me to say... I don't have any. It is on the list, but not very high up it.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

This is a general commentary, not a criticism of anyone.

Too often, people focus on the SuperHyperTactiKewl stuff, weapons and cammo and armor. Those are important, but I've seen too many people worry about that before they have water, food, shelter, first aid, and most importantly:

SKILLS.

I've been a prepper for .... well, all my life. I grew up on SAC target bases, when the risk was much higher than since the Vietnam war.

My body armor was one of the very last major expense items I acquired. Because it wasn't that important.

Why worry about armor if you don't know how to navigate? How to communicate? If you don't have a source of water? Sufficient food for you and your family?

A couple years supply of LTS food isn't cheap, it isn't especially fun to have, but its probably more important to your survival than a plate carrier.

Bacon saver

I concur with both you and Sniper, I've also talked before about "shot placement" ........Izzy is at a funeral today for a LEO that was killed for just that reason. He was hit in the neck and that's all there was to it. Above the the body armor........RIP.