Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Generators

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Generators. Awesome to have but bad bad bad to have where I live. Noise will attract the vermin if I need it and the SHTF. In my opinion an inverter (silent) attached to a car battery will provide a brief charge. Longer if the car is running.
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

I'll most likely shit myself

I didn't do any comparisons today, but mayberries.com had the Eu3000 for $1999. That's where we bought the one for our radio group. No tax and free shipping at the time.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Socalman....I just have to ask if you might think about building your own solar generator? Easy to build, super easy to set up, and definitely quieter than any gas generator...just sayin.
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    The Honda EU gensets are a lot quieter.. no need to change the muffler, simply put it in a hut or similar and the noise signature is reduced by 75%!

I have a heavy canvas tarp thrown over two pallets for an A frame type deal, so its a tent more or less.. It gets enough air to keep cool, and is much quieter than without.

HTH,
    EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

I think you have overlooked Yamaha. The Yamaha EF4500iSE or EF3000iS are right up your alley. Price is comparable and the technology is the same.
    They say that the cockroaches will be the last creature alive on this earth.
    I intend on being the last person alive still stomping cockroaches.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    yup, AT has a point...
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Ive been doing some serious research into them as well. In my experience, what I have seen work best is to either build a hut for it, or I have seen folks dig a pit for them, and that seems to work even better. A tarp covering 3/4 of the pit and the noise is literally gone. I assume the same could be said for a hut.
    As for models, Im looking at a Generac, but I am also looking at a home generator hooked into the NG line that wont be portable in any way.
    Hope this helps.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

To re-direct the noise of a generator, I have four panels of plywood, 3x4', that are loosely tied together on the short ends with rope. After the generator is running, I set these panels on end around the generator, forming a kind of box.

This provides enough of a baffle to direct the noise essentially upward. There is enough airflow to keep everything cool, the plywood is cheap and lightweight (it's 1/4"), and the generator can be seen if needed.

This is similar to the technology the movie industry uses on location shoots. Rather than attempt to muffle all the sound, they redirect the sound upwards where it doesn't much matter.

I suppose that thin rigid insulation panels could also be used, but they are quite fragile.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I did basicly the same thing this summer when I took my 2000W Generac generator to Bonnaroo. I made a 3 sided box from 1 inch foam, open in one end and put a one piece sloping roof on it to protect from the rain, and to help direct the sound out and up. It worked fairly well.
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Domeguy View Post
    I did basicly the same thing this summer when I took my 2000W Generac generator to Bonnaroo. I made a 3 sided box from 1 inch foam, open in one end and put a one piece sloping roof on it to protect from the rain, and to help direct the sound out and up. It worked fairly well.
    Sometimes simple things work