Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US Power Grid

Bacon saver

US Power Grid

I was watching the history channel the other day and I don't remember what the show was called but they referenced the United States Power grid. Well here's what's got me worried..............DID YOU KNOW THAT IT'S DIVIDED UP INTO ONLY THREE SECTIONS?

Yup, east, west and Texas. So when the grid takes a shit it's going to really take a shit. I just thought it was noteworthy.........
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Just 2 or 3 mice or squirrels will do the job....don't ask

And part of those east and west distribution networks stretch up into Canada as well so much larger than just the U.S.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

glad Texas has its own
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Do you have a robot?
    You are right only three. Texas is its own grid so the rest of the US is really divided in two. There have been some interesting write ups on it. No one seems to be concerned, "Nothing to see her keep moving". Now for me it is more like clicking my heels and saying there is no place like home three times. Well at least we have our health care.........
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Yeap things in the US are becoming questionable. But that was the plan all the time right?
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    glad Texas has its own
    Lucky bastards.............

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    You are right only three. Texas is its own grid so the rest of the US is really divided in two. There have been some interesting write ups on it. No one seems to be concerned, "Nothing to see her keep moving". Now for me it is more like clicking my heels and saying there is no place like home three times. Well at least we have our health care.........
    You're killing me Smalls!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    glad Texas has its own
    That just means more visitors to Texas if the lights go off east or west.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    If theres a EMP, grid goes down, doesnt matter the state, just saying...
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

may be in trouble

Yes, either a solar event, or some dimwit pops high altitude nukes in the right places.. EMP.

I recall reading the book WARDAY, which described a ridiculously optomistic nuclear exchange. Most of this country lost its electrical capabilites owing to six high altitude nukes being set off, which sounds about right.

(Mind you, this book was about as blatant a piece of pro-California propaganda as you could ever hope to avoid; the continental strikes in the exchange took out the Dakotas, Wyoming, San Antonio, Omaha, DC and New York City. Nothing happened to California... riiiiiight)

The nastier, more insidious variant of dropping the grid, so far as I've seen in fiction, is cybernetically. Computerized switching being hacked. Put too much of a load HERE, disable safety devices THERE, stir, you get large scale blackouts... or worse, if the overload is big enough. The 'Net doesn't fry, it starves.

Local power can get restored as long as the fuel to feed the generators holds out... and these facilities will be fought over, from a county sized hydro plant, all the way down to some poor farmer with a 100 gallon tank on his truck feeding a 3k generator to keep his chickens unfrozen during the winter.

The moves to a unified national power grid are totalitarian, expensive, and just plain STUPID. Ditto utilities offering things like 'smart' thermostats and outlets.

Was me and had my own means of power, I'd still stay on the grid, with spares of all my electronics in tightly lidded galvanized garbage cans, with 2 gauge jumper cables clamped to the lid and a central ground. I'd also have a old fashioned big switch to swap over from line to local generation. (No computerized switch there) , so:

Electricity as an everyday thing in the existance of mankind has only been so in the last 150-odd years. All of us have, I'm willing to wager, a grandparent or great grandparent who did their day to day without it. The Amish seem to be doing well lacking it.

My .0005 tr oz Ag.

Kesephist

KI7CIL

Do you have a robot?
    Hey, Hey we in California are special people so nothing will ever happen bad out here. Everyone says California will have an earthquake and fall into the ocean we I think it will be the rest of the US that will fall into the Atlantic.........so there....... We ride in special small buses with our special helmets. Life is good what possibly could happen.............skip, skip skip what a wonderful sunset..............
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.