Thread: Hurricane Preps and weather guessing (Bug Out or not to Bug Out?)

Bacon saver

Hurricane Preps and weather guessing (Bug Out or not to Bug Out?)

OK people here's what we have. Hurricane season is in full swing and storms are whippin around like aaaahhh, storms. So what do we do, do we stay and hunker down or do we bug out? The weather channel says we need to run! My neighbor says,"I'm stayin put". What do YOU do? Well it's called a "Training Time Out", let's stop and take a look at the situation and what do we have in our tool box to make a real solid SAFE decision. Now this is what the Ol'Rat does and did through out his career in the Navy and I still use today. It hasn't failed me yet because I used it enough to know what to predict. Those of you who do not live in a hurricane prone area can also use this "tool" for your own geo areas for other storms as well. So it's time to practice watch and predict what's going to happen next. Here's what you need to do:

1. Watch the news, weather channel, etc. What are they saying and what are they're warnings? What are the predicted areas? (zone of impact)
    2. Use the site (water vapor loop) I provided for your predictions. Here are the things you need to know.
    a. The dark areas are high pressure areas with the light browns (swirls) being the jet streams.
    b. The lighter areas are lows and the white are the Clouds and blue into rain and of course the yellows and reds means it's getting pretty bad, eh?
    3. Pay attention to the motion inside the high pressure ares this is showing you the "jetstreams" it also shows the "Push" of the high pressure area and it's effect on the lows. These motions is what drives the direction of the low pressure areas. It forces the heart of these storms in a certain direction.
    4. Predict the path of the storm of your choosing and compare with the weather channel you monitored......who was right? Did you run for no reason? Did someone steal all your shit?

Now it's your turn to call the storms path, will you run or stay put. You make the prediction, see if you are right, there are more storms coming. Make the call, you to can be the "weather guesser" no need to have the television tell you what to do from now on. Get out there and practice........at someone Else's expense for now. I'll be looking forward to your feedback. Have fun!

Good luck, that is all, OUT!

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-wv.html

I can post more links to different areas if you can't find them, just ask, sometimes it's difficult to navigate....
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

Good info there. Let this swab jockey add a little bit. Having done close to 66 trips around the sun, and having lived on the east coast for all that time, I've been through a few of these storms. have also ridden two out at sea.

1. Know your area! Is it flood prone during heavy rains? Are there large shallow rooted trees near your home? If so you want to keep a eye constantly on the weather report and storm track. Live near the beach, storm surge at high tide is a killer.
    2.Fill your gas tank, so you can leave if necessary.
    3. Candles, flashlight batteries, a portable radio, charcoal or propane for the grill would be nice. Power outages are common.
    4. Pick and store, or tie down securely anything that the wind can pick up. If not they will become missile hazards for you and your neighbors.
    5. If you lose power, stay out of the refrigerator as much as possible.
    6. If you are prone to power outages, fill containers with water, even the tub. It maybe awhile before you get power back.
    7. Stay away from down lines.

Be safe and use your head. If you think you need to leave , do so before the storm gets there.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Bacon saver

I Concur (agree) a lesson learned when I was stationed down in Ingleside, Texas (Corpus Christi). I wasn't going to bug out, I boarded and battened down, helped the neighbors, etc. They bugged out, we stayed, the storm/hurricane did what I thought, doglegged to the left and hit Brownsville. Sucked for them, but here's the real lesson a tragedy actually.

Those that bugged out were stuck on all the roads during the storm traffic blocked for miles and they were all in their cars, DPS were idiots. They should've had one way out traffic, major discontent from the genpop! Here's the lesson, PLAN Ahead! If you're leaving, leave early like the man said.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Do you have a robot?
    Sounds kinda like a crap shoot when predicting the path of a hurricane. Good ideas and they can be adapted to other scenarios too. If I were in an area that was prone to flooding my first thought is move. I know easy to say hard to do, it is not always possible. So with that in mind I would prepare my valuables for an easy move. I know we all collect too much. However if you had things you need to survive in say plastic tuff boxes to protect from weather and at the same time allowing for easy moving would be the way to go. I would say for the things that could not be moved, furniture having proper insurance would be critical. I would also have an enclosed trailer to protect my things and in a pinch I could live out of it.

Food, water, candles, lanterns flashlights with lots of batteries obviously are important to have all the time. I would also have extra large tarps in the event my house was compromised. Plywood pre-cut for the windows.

I am not big on jacked up trucks however if I lived in an area prone to flooding I would consider this. We have floods out in our area and it never ceases to amaze me the stupidity of people. The road is washed out so I have a four wheel drive and I'll just drive across the river. However for standing water over the roadway I do not have a problem driving through. However when you see the water rushing over the roadway and do not know if it is still there I won't chance it. Having seen the long lines of people trying to evacuate the coastal areas I would make sure gas tank is full and have extra gas. How much, at least enough to fill the tank with me. I would make it a point to refill whenever possible at a station. It is so easy to sit back when not in the situation to say, they should have left sooner, again not always possible.

You will always forget something, that happens.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.