Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Phyical Fitness

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel MD View Post
    There are a few variants of the sort of diet I follow - Atkins, Paleo, Keto. Most are close to what I think is ideal - Atkins, for example, had the right idea but advocated pretty high protein intake (as a result of his food recommendations). I try and make it simple, which makes it easier for me to follow. The basic premise of what I normally eat is based on two things - it had a face (animal protein) and green (green leafy vegetables, low in sugars).

I will occasionally eat other foods, but not as a regular item.

I even eat at McDonalds, occasionally. No fries, but I will get two McDoubles, and throw the bread away from one and use the meat and condiments on the other one...making a McQuad, I guess. BTW, the bread at McDonalds has a ton of sugar added, and so do their condiments - ketchup, even mustard, are sugar added because kids like it. I'm not saying never eat that stuff, just be aware of it and avoid it most of the time.

I can even eat at a Dennys....A build it myself slam, double eggs, bacon and sausage. No bread. Fills me up for the day. In short if it takes a combine to harvest, I don't eat it.
    On athletic keto I keep my protein at just over 1 per pound. I get about 175 grams of protein each day, and about 130 grams of fat per day. While keeping my total carbs below 35grams. I am getting 2000 total calories per day, but I am not adding in the calories I burned during my workout. Feeling really good.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    I started my new lifestyle TODAY partly based on this thread, mostly because im so tired of my ulcerative colitis (a living nightmare) from the last 15 years, its what put me on medical retirement from the Guard.

Its based on the paleo AND SCD (select carbohydrate diet).

Just TODAY, i am already feeling better.

i plan in 1week to start my exercise.

in 1 month, start the quit of tobacco, maybe sooner... (dip, pouches).

as of today, zero starchs, zero sugar, zero processed foods or meats (hot dogs, balonha, etc). zero soft drinks, going with only water an unsweet tea.

taking 1/2 a 200mg caffeen tablet every 4 hours, and will taper back over the mont, so as to keep headaches away in the beginninh.

Wish me luck, i need it! my UC is already measurably better... not good, but better!

im gonna miss bread and pasta!!!

EB

- - - Updated - - -

posted on my cell^^^
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

Wow... that's a whole lot of major lifestyle changes... All the best buddy!

bon apetit!

Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

You make bad choices. Here is my low carb, NON vegan meal. Spicy buffalo shrimp.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

HAHA! Ill take a diet water with that!

I hope to write up the science behind my diet, its 99% geared for UC. In short, "common carbs" and "common sugars" are NOT being broken down in my digestive system, it is simply feeding bad bacteria and fermenting, creating gas and... other undesirable side effects. By taking away the stuff that feeds the bad bacteria ("common carbs" and "common sugars"), it will resolve the condition. I will also loose weight and feel better for a quality diet. (At least, thats the plan, lets see how it pans out in the following months!)

Its 5:13pm EST now, and I just had a B.M., best one Ive had in years... No emergency, no need for a pressure washer! (I know, TMI but anyone else with UC would be happy for me!) I physically feel better than I have in as long as I can remember, so Im motivated to see what the following weeks bring!

Im getting ready to put some beef patties on the grill, Ill top it off with some Montery Jack cheese and enjoy an unsweetened green tea. Im ready to eat now!

EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

Update: Down to 230 this morning, weight seams to be falling off... waiting for a plateau which will eventually happen but... thats okay, the body does like that.

Still no sodas or junk food, started eating some rice and a little bit of bread. Still no pasta or condiments, or SUGAR. I had 1 beer last night. Been eating zero processed foods or meats, I just got paid so I got some veggies to juice (my UC does not like pulp/fiber from raw veggies, but does perfectly fine with juice!!).

Im feeling a *LOT* better, I wake up a lot easier and feel a ton better when I do. I also feel a ton better during the day.

As soon as this weather clears, Ill start my exercise program.

Using some office type program on my phone and made a simple spread sheet to track my progress and keep notes, thats pretty handy.

BTW, the UC is far from cured but its a *LOT* better than a week ago!!

I think in July or August or so, I was 255 trying for 56.. so yeah, my clothes are already starting to feel big! Oh, and Ill be 50 in March. Wow. AARP, here I come!

Thats all for now!
    EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

finally pooped
    I actually am in better shape since leaving the military than when I was in it. I'm down to 220 from 240 in just a few months. I think its the less stress combined with actually being told I can do things now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

For the Love of Cats

I can’t believe I forgot to go to the gym today...

That’s 7 years in a row now.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    Update: Down to 230 this morning, weight seams to be falling off... waiting for a plateau which will eventually happen but... thats okay, the body does like that.

Still no sodas or junk food, started eating some rice and a little bit of bread. Still no pasta or condiments, or SUGAR. I had 1 beer last night. Been eating zero processed foods or meats, I just got paid so I got some veggies to juice (my UC does not like pulp/fiber from raw veggies, but does perfectly fine with juice!!).

Im feeling a *LOT* better, I wake up a lot easier and feel a ton better when I do. I also feel a ton better during the day.

As soon as this weather clears, Ill start my exercise program.

Using some office type program on my phone and made a simple spread sheet to track my progress and keep notes, thats pretty handy.

BTW, the UC is far from cured but its a *LOT* better than a week ago!!

I think in July or August or so, I was 255 trying for 56.. so yeah, my clothes are already starting to feel big! Oh, and Ill be 50 in March. Wow. AARP, here I come!

Thats all for now!
    EB
    I'm no doctor, far far from it... just got back from wikipedia's article about UC... and the damnedest thing...

NICOTINE?

Ehhh...

One thing about diet of all kinds ... in a SHTF situation, a far more physical lifestyle than before will be the norm. Some of the things so dangerous to a more or less sedentary lifestyle are dangerous in that they aren't being burned off, or so I see it.

I mind the Amish of my boyhood, while not ripped and sixpacked, were strong and robust, and of a very active livelihood. An MD friend of mine told me of the few times that an Amish had an autopsy, even in the elders...his phrase "they had arteries and veins you could drive an HO train set through". Then, too, their diet wasn't up to the gills in complex preservatives, either.

just my 30 mg of silver.

Kesephist

Quote Originally Posted by Kesephist View Post
    I'm no doctor, far far from it... just got back from wikipedia's article about UC... and the damnedest thing...

NICOTINE?

Ehhh...

One thing about diet of all kinds ... in a SHTF situation, a far more physical lifestyle than before will be the norm. Some of the things so dangerous to a more or less sedentary lifestyle are dangerous in that they aren't being burned off, or so I see it.

I mind the Amish of my boyhood, while not ripped and sixpacked, were strong and robust, and of a very active livelihood. An MD friend of mine told me of the few times that an Amish had an autopsy, even in the elders...his phrase "they had arteries and veins you could drive an HO train set through". Then, too, their diet wasn't up to the gills in complex preservatives, either.

just my 30 mg of silver.

Kesephist

While a post SHTF lifestyle will be far more physically demanding than most have today, if you're not in good shape when TSHTF, your chances of lasting long enough to get healthy are pretty slim...