Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Phyical Fitness

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    Yesterday scaled in at 229, first time in 15 years or more its been that low. Once I get to 195 ill evaluate my condition for any new goals.

starting back on weights this week.

EB

I recommend the Rippetoe method of weights....

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Im researching that now, I tend to do segments of different methods, or variations of methods.

Been using Dogg Crapp for a core for many years with good results. Been building strength and bulk, which is what I want.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

I don't care about bulk...I have enough trouble finding shirts that fit. Just strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel MD View Post
    Good work.

As you say, diet is the key. You cannot exercise enough to compensate for a bad diet. And what is bad? Pretty much everything the government tells you to eat. Grains, carbs, and diet sweeteners; eating lots of small meals. Funny how the obesity and diabetes (both types) epidemics started pretty much the same time the government started shilling for agriculture.

There are a couple of books I recommend:

The Big Fat Surprise https://www.amazon.com/Big-Fat-Surpr...words=teicholz

and

The Obesity Code https://www.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-...g+obesity+code

In short, don't worry about your blood glucose: Worry about your blood insulin. Dont snack. Dont worry about dietary fat: Worry about carbs - including 'healthy' fruit. The sugar in fruit, fructose, is REALLY bad for you: Far worse than glucose or table sugar. And excess blood glucose is converted to FAT, by insulin.

Your body does NOT require ANY external carbohydrates. Your body will produce all the glucose it NEEDS, from fats and proteins. Excess sugar is just bad.

what about oatmeal, quinoa, legumes and brown rice? Any they any good?

Crotch Rocket

I would personally say not even those, and would recommend the book "Eat Meat and Stop Jogging". It lays out a clear, reasoned argument on what to eat, what not to eat, and why.

Welcome to the forum.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Quote Originally Posted by bigman888 View Post
    what about oatmeal, quinoa, legumes and brown rice? Any they any good?
    Oatmeal,quinoa, and brown rice are all grains, and have relatively high glycemic indexes. Personally I can't handle oatmeal, too much soluble fiber. Legumes (beans) are better but why? Still carbs...

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    I would personally say not even those, and would recommend the book "Eat Meat and Stop Jogging". It lays out a clear, reasoned argument on what to eat, what not to eat, and why.

Welcome to the forum.

thank you sir.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel MD View Post
    Oatmeal,quinoa, and brown rice are all grains, and have relatively high glycemic indexes. Personally I can't handle oatmeal, too much soluble fiber. Legumes (beans) are better but why? Still carbs...
    one last question- the books you mentioned (and tunnelrat), does it have info in regards to those who wish to eat once a day? I'll be ordering shortly for my kindle but was curious b4 I made the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by bigman888 View Post
    thank you sir.

- - - Updated - - -

one last question- the books you mentioned (and tunnelrat), does it have info in regards to those who wish to eat once a day? I'll be ordering shortly for my kindle but was curious b4 I made the purchase.
    The Obesity Code by Fung is perfectly OK with it...he advocates short (~18 -24 hour or so) fasts, which now that I've tried it isn't so crazy seeming... I will often eat only one meal a day, without signs or symptoms of starvation.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I fast for 16 hours every day. never thought I could do it, but when you are eating good food it isn't hard at all.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Crotch Rocket

From what I've read, it depends on your goals and activity level. What helo has described is called intermittent fasting, and yes, that is discussed. Well, it is in "Live It, Not Diet" anyway.

One of my delivery drivers at work is my age. I got an impression yesterday that he was incredibly ripped. When I asked what his deadlift is, he was around 450, with a pr of 500 before a work related shoulder injury. I am nowhere near that, and will never get near it eating once a day. You have to fuel the machine, just like my other.

Might I ask why you only want to eat once a day?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!