Thread: Camping Shelter

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Camping Shelter

One area where I was particularly weak is what I call "camping shelter".

Before I go too far, I should point out my views on "bugging out" are rather dim. The whole concept that you're gonna sense danger in the wind, load up the family to head to the hills, live off berries and somehow avoid detection seems all very nonsensical too me.

I preferred to relocate my family to an area of the country that offered better all-round conditions for mid-term and long-term SHTF events. In short, I moved to my bug-out location.

So with all that behind us, I have upgraded my sleeping/shelter options greatly since we all last chatted. I started out with some $30 Walmart sleeping bags that basically stayed on the shelf in the garage. Should we be forced outside, or even used them to camp, they'd have been functionally useless.

Tent: I decided to go with a basic Academy/Bass Pro/Cabella's generic tent for family camping and the odd situation where we need temporary shelter. It's big enough to fit the family, some gear and a small stock of food/water. You can spend a lot of money for a lot better tents, with a lot better features. I decided that the tent was a limited purpose item and not worth investing big dollars right now.

Personal Sleeping: I've gone hammock for spring/summer/fall outdoors sleeping. Rainfly and extension straps naturally. I went with the Eno Doublenest. I'll toss a cheapo foam sleeping mat in it as the temps drop.

Sleeping Bag: Snugpak Softie Elite 2 Sleeping Bag. I chose it for two reasons: lightweight and temp range. It's crazy compact and 2.8lbs. Comfortable temp rage down to the low 30's. For my geography that's plenty good. Obviously, if I'm suddenly going to Alaska that's not gonna work. As luck would have it, I'm not suddenly going to Alaska.

Shelter: Snugpak 92860 Stratosphere One Person Bivvi Shelter. For another 2.5lbs I gain a 1person tent for shelter from the elements. The combo of Bivi and sleeping bag works well for when I need to go to ground. I've not used it in inclement weather so I don't know how dry it actually is. I "hope" to find out eventually....not really.

Woobie: For our military readers, I'm a massive fan of the woobie (waterproof pancho liner). I carry one year round when camping as it can be used so many ways. Now that the temps are dropping I can add it to the sleeping bag/bivi arrangement for a touch more warmth.

Foam Mat: I'm considering one of those super cool self-inflating sleeping pads. Right now I've been using your basic foam pad that you roll up. It's not great but gives a touch more comfort and doesn't cost anything.

Survive Outdoors Longer: Escape Bivi. I did try this one for a while. Its like a foil reflective blanket but in sleeping bag format. Its....ok. I guess. It's crinkly and very hard to get into. I didn't really care for it. Of course, I was using it in a hammock, so maybe on the ground it's way better.

This is all gear I've actually used out in the woods. In fact, am trying to put together a few camps for early Nov.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

finally pooped
    Word of experience about the self inflating sleep pads, they are kind of worthless about providing much heat insulation. If you do decide to get one though tape a 3/4 inch dowel rod to the bottom of it. Makes it much easier to roll up and keep compact while only adding a tiny bit of weight.

If you want heat insulation the best thing I have found is to get a REALLY thick foam carpet pad. They sell the remnants dirt cheap at flooring places and it is SO WARM. For longevity take it to a boat winterizing place and have them seal it with their boat wrap material. It crinkles some but makes it last almost forever, then same thing with the dowel rod at the bottom and put a few pin holes at the top to allow the extra air to escape as you roll it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

I'll most likely shit myself

I have to disagree about the self inflating mattresses. The wife and I have carried the Therm-a-Rest brand for years and yep they are 1st gen models. We got the full length thin ones to cut weight as mush as we could since we were backpacking with them. We've been out for single digit weekends and never had an issue with the mattress. It did take it longer to inflate, but once it did I always add a puff or two to tighten them up. I have found them very comfortable.

I did look at some of the new, thicker models and brands at Cabela's a few months back. They are a lot more plush than our's but heavier to.

Our tent is a four season Kelty, great in winter or cool weather. But it's not vented enough for warm/hot weather use. And it's only a 2 person, not even big enough for much gear. We have a camper that we use to camp most of the time any more and plan to drag it with us in some bug out scenarios. I do want to get a 4-8 man tent to used to fill in other needs.

For sleeping bags, I have a gore tex shelled Marmont 800 fill down bag. It weights less than 2 lbs and is rated at -5. I've never made it quite that low, but normally have to leave it unzipped a little to vent it. The wifes bag is rated at -10 and is a Seirra Designs down bag. She got a little cold at about +2 one night. I pulled one of my arms out and stuck it down her bag and within 5 minutes she was good for the rest of the night. We also have a bunch of down Military bags that we keep in various places for use as needed.