Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: location, location, location

Crotch Rocket

location, location, location

As usual, lots of good discussion was to be had in meeting ftf. This was one of them. It is also one staying at the forefront of my mind, considering that I'm finally going to get off my ass and purchase my own home next year. I've got some limitations based on having a fixed region I'll be relocating to, but even at that... when I did a "distance elimination" of locations in TN I learned the best area in that regard was also terrible with meth and related crime. So, there are trade offs.

Current plans run toward a defendable homestead with as many natural resources as possible, and from there a solid bug out location. That last, here in MI, does fall in well with distance requirements, so I'll start with those.

100 miles from populations of 500,000. +
    75 miles from pop. Of 100,000 - 500,000
    50 miles from pop. Of 50,000 - 100,000
    25 miles from pop. Of 10,000 - 50,000, also interstates.
    10 miles from pop. Of 5,000 - 10,000
    5 miles from town
    2-5 miles off any paved road

As I was saying, there is a region in MI that meets those parameters for a BO locatio, as well as having a decent hospital within 30 minutes by car. I'll work within these as best as I can in picking a home. What I'd like to hear from the colony is your thoughts on resources, defense, and any of the related miscellany I may not be considering.

Water is abundant where I'm looking. Mature fruit trees would be a plus, but hard woods for burning a necessity for heat. Acreage needs? Storage?

It's not particularly hilly terrain, so a high ground advantage may be a pipe dream. What other aspects are essentially for good defense. Accessibility and ? And whatnot.

We tend to agree on so much elsewhere I'll be interested to see if there's any difference of opinion here.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

your "distance" chart was discounted 30 years ago ... you need to factor in more criteria than "I'm far enough away" - simple refugee flow mapping quikly shows the fallacy ....

just as a quik example - your "spot" is equal 100 miles distance from two major cities - with the usual road web of interstate and secondary roads ... when the two cities refugees collide in between they begin their spread or midpoint encampment - 250,000+ unprepared and bare azzed sheeple don't bode well for you ....

and that doesn't include FEMA - if there's time for Fed involvement for city evacuation - your area could be the destination for 10,000s of Section 8 sheeple with their hands out - depending on FEMA - good luck ....

Crotch Rocket

First I've heard of that. Got any resources you can share for doing it? Searching gave me articles on Europe and Syrian refugees.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    your "distance" chart was discounted 30 years ago ... you need to factor in more criteria than "I'm far enough away" - simple refugee flow mapping quikly shows the fallacy ....

just as a quik example - your "spot" is equal 100 miles distance from two major cities - with the usual road web of interstate and secondary roads ... when the two cities refugees collide in between they begin their spread or midpoint encampment - 250,000+ unprepared and bare azzed sheeple don't bode well for you ....

and that doesn't include FEMA - if there's time for Fed involvement for city evacuation - your area could be the destination for 10,000s of Section 8 sheeple with their hands out - depending on FEMA - good luck ....
    The last even vaguely organized or even partial evacuation of a major city was London during the Blitz... and that was with a sizable % of them knowing of warfare and what to expect, given experiences from WWI, and a lot more give-a-damn about others than we are liable to see in the rest of our lifetimes. Even then, London was hardly rendered an empty shell.

New Orleans and Katrina should have been instructive enough about the situation in the US.

Pardon the bluntness, or not, but deriving a place to bug out to by formulae will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesephist View Post
    The last even vaguely organized or even partial evacuation of a major city was London during the Blitz... and that was with a sizable % of them knowing of warfare and what to expect, given experiences from WWI, and a lot more give-a-damn about others than we are liable to see in the rest of our lifetimes. Even then, London was hardly rendered an empty shell.

New Orleans and Katrina should have been instructive enough about the situation in the US.

Pardon the bluntness, or not, but deriving a place to bug out to by formulae will not work.

???? - that's blind no facts formula planning is EXACTLY what you're proposing

you don't even factor in geography for crying out loud - 100 miles radius period - doesn't matter - crossing a couple of major rivers or a mountain pass just tends to serve as refugee flow hiderance - especially when state lines are crossed ....

100 miles is 3 gallons of gas and 1 1/2 hours of driving - that 100 miles is based on the BS premise that the Golden Horde will all be on foot for some reason ....

London wasn't evacuated during The Blitz - NOLA was - same same for the entire Gulf coastline east - so were parts of the NYC area .... what's your point - FEMA wouldn't evacuate a city? .... FEMA updates their city evac planning on a regular basis - get a copy and learn about the potential - that livestock auction barn down the road is on someone's list

may be in trouble

My error... "by formulae ALONE"... And there were enough horror stories about the NOLA evacuation to merit it being filed under "clusterfuck".

FEMA's reputation is as toxic as its trailers.

Perhaps I'm not the best to have commented; I've managed to jam myself in a situation completely untenable for escape.

Crotch Rocket

Illini, did you mistake Kes for me?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

I'm Not sure of the mileage thing. Out west that might work great. Down here not as much. Wouldn't be a bad starting point anyway.

For land to really fit my wants/needs it needs a large spring fed pond at a minimum. Large springs and a creeks would be more in lines. Hardwood timber would be high on the list as well for multiple reasons, firewood, leaves for compost/mulch/long term dirt, wildlife habitat. I also want decent if not outright great soil. To me it's not worth having if you can't feed yourself from it. There are many others, orientation is a big one if you want solar power. Can help with food production as well.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I would think that only a place that seemed uninhabitable to just about everyone would be safe. A hundred miles down a dirt road in the desert might be the only place someone, or many someones won't find you.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I feel pretty good about my location. 3 hours in a car from Houston or Dallas, but on foot that is a long ways. Our county has so many dirt roads that there is no way many people will be walking down them to find our place. I just wish I had a flowing spring.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson