Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paper or Plastic?

Do you have a robot?
    I realize that thing called the pay phone is almost non existent but I also travel with a roll of quarters just in case we have to do laundry. I do not know about you folks but my debit card is now covered just like my other credit cards. I also have the limited amount in the debit account in case it gets compromised, I can always transfer more into the account.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

For the Love of Cats

It is nice to see the States finally getting on board with Debit cards. They have been the main mode of transactions up here for over 30 years, it is still tough to use it down there, other than in an ATM
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

I find it interesting you say you can't use your debit card down here other than in an ATM. Depending on the network and your bank, you may have to use it as credit to get an approval. I've had that problem in a few places. If i run the card as intended no go, but hit credit instead and instant aproval.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

Do you have a robot?
    I agree when I went overseas there was no problem using a debit card. I haven't been up in the Great White North for a few years so maybe I will have to try it this year.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    It is nice to see the States finally getting on board with Debit cards. They have been the main mode of transactions up here for over 30 years, it is still tough to use it down there, other than in an ATM
    I have used a debit card for at least the last 15 years with no issues. Just in the last year or so I started using a credit card for the protection and the rewards money.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I'll most likely shit myself

I've used a debit card since 1999, but almost always run it as credit for the protection. Still. Omes out of my account.

Premium Member
    We don't use debit cards. Use CC for protection and to get points and rewards to get free stuff like Yeti coolers and other outdoor stuff. Always pay off when bill comes in. When traveling, I usually take $500-$1000 in mixed bills- $5 to $100 bills and some change for backup. Once we get home, the unused cash goes back in the bank. If power goes down, so does CC. Don't travel much outside of U.S. anymore, too much to see in the great U.S.A.
    Don't wrestle with pigs; you'll get all muddy and the pigs will love it!

may be in trouble

Well, the events of the last two hours were finally enough of a prod for me.

Paying my rent was a matter of using my debit card to buy a money order and then handing the money order over to the female at the rental office (can't call her landlady, she don't own the land and has manifestly proven she is no lady... but I digress.)

Come to find out that my bank has considered buying another money instrument as counting against my daily cash withdrawal limit via ATM. Which in my case is less than half of the rent.

So, fine. For the third time in the over five years I have been in this dump, I will be paying on the date due instead of before it... trotting down to WF and drawing the the cash out in person, and heroically restraining myself against telling them what to do and where to go when they ask what it's for.

I WILL be telling their bank officers that, hereafter, I will be maximum withdrawing within five days of every paycheck, leaving enough on the card for function and to allow Direct Deposit. Cash will be secured here, and I will make it a point after 5/2 to have no less than 4x$20, 3x$5, 5x$1 and a roll of 25c on exiting the quarters.

Not ideal, but what is, any more?

Gotta go... work calls and I am too damn red hot pissed at this to go in without cooling off.

Kesephist

Update:

Law has been laid down on the bank, above point cash on person as I type, rent paid. and just can't get over how NICE a roll of quarters feels in a fist. -K
    Last edited by Kesephist; 05-01-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Do you have a robot?
    Breath in one two three breathe out one two three. Not as good as punching them but it does keep you out of jail..........and looking for a new place to live other than jail.

may be in trouble

Too many cameras. Besides, the absolutely bovine, dumbstruck look when I told them off, and how things would be.. priceless. A right cross doesn't do near the damage to a control freak bureaucrat that taking away his control over things, even a little, does.