Thread: Human powered generators

may be in trouble

Human powered generators

I finally bit down hard in the wallet and am awaiting the K-tor Power Box. Testing will take place and results left in the REVIEWS section.

Site: http://www.k-tor.com/

Not just testing the device, but also running 12V lighting off of a deep cycle battery that this will be charging.

For the Love of Cats

I paid more than that for a wind trainer and it generates nothing. Very interested in how this plays out.

A decent video review:

Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Years ago, I was thinking about a device like this one to power my computer and force me to exercise. This is cool.
    Altar Arms - 01 FFL (772) 497-6550 - Located in Port Saint Lucie, FL
    15$ transfers for SHTF Ready members! WE TAKE TRADES!

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Thanks for the post. I checked them out and ordered a refurbished one for 1/2 price. I'll let you know how it works...also picked up a rechargeable cree flashlight from them.
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

For the Love of Cats

looking forward to an actual review, DG...

- - - Updated - - -

I am wondering about removing the mounting gear, adding a few inches, and then replacing the pedal arms with true sized ones from a real bike.... Those just seem too short to be comforyable.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

By the way, I guess I should have mentioned the refurbished one I ordered was a hand crank style.

may be in trouble

As regards the flashlight the good Dome mentioned... all the stepdown circuitry is oinboard the light, and only neeeds a female USB port to plug into to charge. The only other thing I would add as an accessory is a cable with a female USB on one end and Anderson PowerPoles on the other, for the Ham-type folk among us. APPs are one of the more popular connectors.

I'll most likely shit myself

Power poles are awesome. Our whole group went to those. Made is super easy to mix and match power to radios.

I got the hand powered generator and flashlight in the mail today. I tried to power my iPad. It did take the charge, (which won't take a charge from some other devices due to its fancy do dad circuitry) but it kept powering back on every time I slowed down or stopped. I guess this ate what ever charge I put into it as it stayed at 40% charge. I dont have anything else dead at the time, so I will try something else later and give another try. As Mr. K mentioned, the flashlight does have a USB charger built into the base of it for charging. The hand charger has a female standard 110 AC style, 2 hole connection for plugging into, so you not only need a USB cable to charge most items, but you also need to remember to bring along a USB plug in.
    As for the flashlight, it is made by a no name Chinese company, (who would have figured that) but it seems to work just fine. The power switch seems to be of a good quality, it has a water resistant cover on the rear for the USB plug with a good O-ring to seal it. It is powerful for its size, about 1x4 inches, and has a zoom that slides forward to concentrate the beam. It has a 4 way standard switch, high, low, strobe, off, and I have no idea yet as to how long the battery lasts. I'll let you know, the box says it needs 12 hrs to charge, and will last for 12 hrs. Also comes with a wrist strap. So far I like it.
    Mr. K, that's a good call on the charger cable for the radio. I probably wouldn't have thought of that...ill have to wire one up for my HAM radio. Thanks for the heads up.

- - - Updated - - -

I just thought of this re-reading Mr. K post...are you talking about the wire attachment to recharge the battery, or to power the radio while transmitting?

may be in trouble

For the battery, sir. Charging a radio while in use is IMO asking for a spike or drop to toast circuits. Not a good thing when spares may not be handy.

Charging my deep cycle will be done with all else off line. This means that eventually I shall have to have two or more and a rotary switch to swap over to a ready to go battery while I'm charging another... which is fine, I prefer old fashioned knife type switches or other hard switches. Computer controlled switching stands too much of a chance of failing open or closed permanently, under the clumsiest of circumstances possilble, per Murphy.