Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding the old Chevy RV

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...

Rebuilding the old Chevy RV

I am posting this thread here to document the repair work done to turn an old RV into a semi reliable bug out/hide out/camp out vehicle. They wanted $2500 in the ad, and in the picture it looked brand new. He neglected to show or tell about all of the extensive water damage to the roof and some of the walls. I ended up paying $1800 cash and drove it home. It has a twin bed in the rt. rear, and the bathroom in the left rear. A kitchen with a 3 burner stove w/oven under it, and the sink to the rt. Opposite this is a new electric refrigerator and a storage cabinet. Behind the driver seat is a couch that folds down into a small bed, and a double bed in the cab above the driver and passenger seats. Including the cab, I think it's about 25 ft in length. In the camper part, the usable space is about 7 1/2 ft wide and 18 ft length. I plan on gutting the entire inside. I will put in a queen mattress in the rear, the bedroom will be approx. 6 ft X 7 1/2 ft, with cabinets near the ceiling, build a few walls and relocate the bathroom in the middle on the rv, with a new kitchen behind the passenger seat, and the couch behind the driver seat. Cabinets all along the ceilings where available. So far I'm still in the tearing out shit stage. I've ordered a new propane instant hot water heater, and a new 2 burner propane stove. The old stove and over will be taken out, and the sink re-used. I plan on a small microwave also.
    The bathroom is a one piece tub/shower, toilet and sink in an L pattern. I plan on reusing the entire unit. I will replace all of the plumbing, and put in new PEX water lines. I will put in new copper propane lines. I will replace all of the electric wiring with new lines, and wire it up for solar power, with a 5000w inverter. The AC unit works well for now, so it stays, and for a heat source, I plan to use my portable propane heater when needed. The Ginny needs some work, but for now, I have my 2000w portable Generac generator, and if at a campsite, I can plug into their AC.
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Have you thought about hinging the bed where you can lift it, and store stuff under it?
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

when you re-do that plumbing make sure to work in tank & line drainage for winterizing - doesn't hurt to put in a connection for a compressed air blow out also ....

for the gas lines - an outside fitting for a campstove kitchen set-up comes in handy ....

insulate the hell out out of everything ....

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    Have you thought about hinging the bed where you can lift it, and store stuff under it?
    Yes, the twin bed has a storage space below it, and I planned on putting hydrolic lifts on the foot end like on the hatch back of a car. Also, 1 or 2 water tanks will also go in there under the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    when you re-do that plumbing make sure to work in tank & line drainage for winterizing - doesn't hurt to put in a connection for a compressed air blow out also ....

for the gas lines - an outside fitting for a campstove kitchen set-up comes in handy ....

insulate the hell out out of everything ....
    I haven't gotten far enough yet to draw my schematics for all of my plumbing, but that is a great reminder for drains.
    I have a portable grill I will use for camping, but my pop up trailer I will be selling has that hook up for a grill.
    And YES, I totally plan in heavily insulating it. Since most everything will come out, I will be butting fresh insulation throughout.

For the Love of Cats

Sounds awesome. Can't wait for the pictures to go along, so we can see what your doing and dealing with.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Domeguy View Post
    I haven't gotten far enough yet to draw my schematics for all of my plumbing, but that is a great reminder for drains.
    I have a portable grill I will use for camping, but my pop up trailer I will be selling has that hook up for a grill.
    And YES, I totally plan in heavily insulating it. Since most everything will come out, I will be butting fresh insulation throughout.
    Use insulation that will not hold water - rigid foam, or maybe rock wool. Fiberglass will hold water, and when it freezes, bulge the sides out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidel MD View Post
    Use insulation that will not hold water - rigid foam, or maybe rock wool. Fiberglass will hold water, and when it freezes, bulge the sides out.
    That's a good point, but I'm hoping there won't be any leaks to let water in..LOL

Today was more demo work until my back gave out. I disconnected the brains switch for the water pump, battery info, tank info, etc, and labeled both sides of the wires to make it easier to wire back up. I demoed the kitchen, took out the sink, and faucet for re-use. I pulled out the stove/oven/vent, and I will try to resell on Craig's list, eBay, or somewhere. I disconnected the old inverter and wiring to the old refrigerator. I demoed a bunch of storage shelves that had to come down to replace the roof supports. I went to the post office to pick up my roof vents I ordered and stopped in Walmart to pick up a new microwave. It has a grill feature built into the top inside, so it is also a broiler/grill. So far, this is how much I gave spent...$1800 for the camper, new 5000W/10000W surge inverter...$417, new microwave...$79, 2 smoke colored vents w/built in fans...$66, new propane instant hot water heater...$169, new 2 burner propane stove...$137. Hopefully this will be the major purchases, I will still need to buy some lumber, plywood,insulation, small piece of floor vinyl, piping, PEX, wires, ect...but I already have some of this. Total supplies, $868, plus the $1800, making a grand total so far of $2668. I hope to have it somewhat ready for a test run to take to Bonnaroo this June. It will be an early 1.0 version, but at least I will have a sheltered, Air Conditioned place to sleep, a place to cook, have clean running water, a place to take a dump and a shower, and refrigeration for my food and beer. What more could a man want?

Quote Originally Posted by Domeguy View Post
    That's a good point, but I'm hoping there won't be any leaks to let water in..LOL
    Hope is not a strategy for success....