Thread: Travel and your credit card

Do you have a robot?

Travel and your credit card

The wife and I decided to take a trip down to Costa Rica last month. We had a great time 590K driven with most of it being on dirt roads. On to the subject. When we got home we found out we had purchased an all inclusive vacation to Bum F*** Egypt. Needless to say we canceled our card without incident. It go me to thinking that whenever we travel we will use on a disposable card for out trips. No one down there used electronic swipes for the cards but the old manual ones. The only thing we put on it were the hotel rooms and the car. I always take cash just in case. So you might consider getting another card if you are going to travel for pleasure.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I hear Bum F**k is very nice this time if year. Last year while visiting Mr. Sniper, I found out many months later, my card was used in IL to buy a room at a resort in a town I drove within 50 miles of. I'm not sure how they got my card number. I paid cash for the hotel I stayed at in IL. It must have been at a gas station where I used my debit card to get gas.
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

For the Love of Cats

Thanks for putting me up for the night, Domeguy...
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

don't start a new card account with a new bank/company - work with your existing card company - most can condition an additional card with limiting restraints ....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Domeguy View Post
    I hear Bum F**k is very nice this time if year. Last year while visiting Mr. Sniper, I found out many months later, my card was used in IL to buy a room at a resort in a town I drove within 50 miles of. I'm not sure how they got my card number. I paid cash for the hotel I stayed at in IL. It must have been at a gas station where I used my debit card to get gas.

on some of those slinky off brand gas stations the Russian mafia has digital capture gear rigged on the pumps and cash register .... they sell the #s to the counterfeit card branch ....

in your case - some local had a loooooong lunch at the resort with his neighbor's wife ....

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Wife went to Costa Rica and the ONLY place she used her card was Hartsfield airport at the bath & body works, bought a travel size hand sanitizer, and somebody got the card number. They travelled from Atlanta, all the way to buffalo and used the card for gas, food, tools, tv, a tire, all kinds of stuff while she was gone for 9 days.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

For the Love of Cats

I have one card that I only use for travel/internet purchases... it's easy to keep track of what's on it.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Same here Sniper. 1 for online purchases (from sites I trust), one for travel, and a pre-paid for online purchases from vendors that I am not familiar with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a robot?
    You know if I and been traveling for work and had been gone for several weeks......without the wife well that could have lead to problems. Gone for two weeks and a charge for a couple at an all inclusive resort, problems.

BTW Doomguy you must have lower standards than I since I hear Bun***k really is not nice this time of year or for that matter any time of year.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    You know if I and been traveling for work and had been gone for several weeks......without the wife well that could have lead to problems. Gone for two weeks and a charge for a couple at an all inclusive resort, problems.

BTW Doomguy you must have lower standards than I since I hear Bun***k really is not nice this time of year or for that matter any time of year.
    Thank you, and yes...I do have low standards...very low. I aspire to be able to shop at K-Mart some day, eat at a Krystal's, and stay at a Budget Inn.
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

Walking on Sunshine

We've had our credit card hacked because our Credit union was hacked and several hundred cards were compromised. What made it funny was we had just been there to talk to the credit department on what we could do to protect ourselves and to put a security pass code on our accounts the week before. Our friend at the CU called us up to alert us that our card was one of the numbers hacked and asked if we had enjoyed the groceries bought in ITALY along with a great (expensive) dinner and show tickets. We asked why only some of the cards got hacked and according to our friend the first four numbers are the financial institution on credit/debit cards and that if the hackers get that number to show a real financial institution, they use a machine to run different combinations of numbers till they hit a working card number and only use some of the numbers the hackers bring up. Yes they(CU) issued new credit AND debit cards and took care of the charges. We don't use that card unless it's an emergency and we only do a purchase once a year to keep it active but pay it off immediately.She called as soon as the numbers were discovered before the letters went out, we had just paid it off and she knew we were NOT in Italy as the date of purchases was same day we had been in to see her and pay off the card.