Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Preparedness pop-quiz

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Think of it in percentages. 34 points of a total of 72 is a 47% result. In my mind 50/50 you die/live. I am fine with that since that is how I always look at things. (There are no grey fields in my analysis) I see weak points in my location and I also see stronger than average points in my position. In other words 50/50. Either way this gives me steps to work on or improve. Either way in the end you will die there is no getting out of that hole. I want to slide in to my death looking used and abused but with a grin on my face.
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

For the Love of Cats

It was certainly written by someone in a certain area, with a certain mindset; although I do believe it has value for everyone, even if taken tongue in cheek.

For example, several of the firearms related questions do not apply to Canadians...

Also, personally, if I actually put this together, I would have placed different +1 bonuses on some things and taken them away from others.

Again, this doesn't necessarily apply to everyone... naturally, I have wood stoves, camp stoves, heaters, wood, etc... It is well below freezing for at least a 1/3 of the year here... when power is out they are necessary to survive. In Texas or Florida, not so much.

I live in the bush and rely on hunting/fishing/gathering for much of my nutrition, the heat/shelter, food, water sections were gimme points; but for those without the natural resources that I am blessed with (or Helomech), each of these would be difficult and expensive.

Good points have already been made about doctors and medical training... but consider... being a doctor doesn't ensure your survival, but may ensure the survival of members of your MAG group, which may actually save your life.

I did about as I expected, very strong in some, weak in others and middle of the road in the rest.

I scored a 56.

What do I get from that? Keep plugging along as I've been doing, try to improve on the areas that I can, and don't worry about those I have no control over.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Do you have a robot?
    Let's see I need another point so where are is that phone book, now medical schools, which one?????

I scored 47 but still need to improve a bunch more. I see it as experience, location and food need to be improved. The latter two are the easiest with experience just taking time.....................of which I may or may not have much of...
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    I scored a 59, but thats because I also think its because I have extra resources and training due to the military.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

For the Love of Cats

Agreed Stormy... but you also have a serious MAG group of like military background peeps. You are the one motherfucker that I would be glad to be on my side... and also the type that I prepare for the most. You are the wildcard type of guy, that can be my best friend, or worst nightmare.

I am just happy that I don't play by rules.

beer?

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

My score is only 33, not great. I really think this is a great checklist for some things to get done. While I can't score for having a source of wood for heat, where I live it is not critical. One thing we do have that is not addressed is a fairly large supply of propane that will be used for cooking needs.

I see a few areas where I could quickly add some points. However the goal is not adding points is it? The goal is survival. Some of those areas will certainly help. While we live in the greater Los Angeles area, our home is in a good defensible position, particularly with our neighbors involved, something some of us have discussed. A supply of natural water is not always available as the river not far from us will be nearly dry in the summer months of the dry years. If the shit happened right now, we could use that water. It will certainly need filtering and disinfecting. Fortunately we have prepped for that.

Walking on Sunshine

Guess I'm dead then. Took the test, failed miserably due to the BIG ,BIG bone of contention here (firearms) and a DH that says and I am quoting "Nothing will happen" and "The government won't let it happen" AND "we'll just go to the shelters if there's an emergency" Love the man and 98% of the time we are on the same page on things but it's frustrating. SO I just keep doing what I can with what little money I have and rottenly hoping for a mini SHTF situation to get him to understand what could happen on a larger scale and why I am "preparing for Armageddon" as he calls it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Agreed Stormy... but you also have a serious MAG group of like military background peeps. You are the one motherfucker that I would be glad to be on my side... and also the type that I prepare for the most. You are the wildcard type of guy, that can be my best friend, or worst nightmare.

I am just happy that I don't play by rules.

beer?
    Rules? Rules are for those that want to become slaves to whatever dictator decides they want to be in power. I teach my soldiers to always think outside the box, and to take the rules and put those in a box for that sun-shiny day that warriors are no longer ever needed and our skillsets are antiquated. Until, the gloves are off, and the only rule is to win.

Beer? Why yes, I think I will!

As an aside to this, Im only as good as the weakest link in our chain. Our group of friends never changes while our network is constantly evolving, I think that is the key to success. Its not that I am all that and a bag of doughnuts, I just surround myself with people who are always looking at things from the oblique versus the straight forward.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    Guess I'm dead then. Took the test, failed miserably due to the BIG ,BIG bone of contention here (firearms) and a DH that says and I am quoting "Nothing will happen" and "The government won't let it happen" AND "we'll just go to the shelters if there's an emergency" Love the man and 98% of the time we are on the same page on things but it's frustrating. SO I just keep doing what I can with what little money I have and rottenly hoping for a mini SHTF situation to get him to understand what could happen on a larger scale and why I am "preparing for Armageddon" as he calls it.
    I understand the point of contention between your husband and you when it comes to firearms. Might I make a subtle suggestion? Take some of that money that you set aside for preps, and squirrel it away until you have enough to purchase a good used firearm. Theres always plenty of those on the market and there is always deals to be found.

Some recommendations-
    1- www.armslist.com Here you can narrow the search down to your area of your state, and see what people are selling/trading. Since you live in a free state, you can just meet up at a mutually agreeable spot, and do your trade in cash/barter and you have a gun. I recommend your local Police station parking lot, or a Walmart parking lot where you are in view of the cameras personally.
    2- www.craigslist.com A bit more restricted when looking for guns, but they can be found. Usually look for "2nd Amendment items" or "2A" in the search bar of the "For Sale" section and you can always turn up one or two! Also do not forget to check out the "Barter Section" is the For Sale area, every now and then one goes up there as well.
    3- www.facebook.com Now heres where it gets tricky. Since the sale of firearms is forbidden by facebook, you have to know how to sidestep things from time to time. Look for groups in your state that are "hunting/outdoors" "Guy Stuff Only" or discussion groups, and sooner or later you will end up on a gun selling page. Another thing I search for is "hunting accessories, you can usually find one or two there.
    4- As far as firearms go...
    *Remington 870 shotgun in either 12 gauge or 20 gauge. Easy to use/manipulate/learn on, and a formidable weapon system when facing one. If you cannot find one of those, try to find a mossberg 500, same applies. Every now and then you can find one for sale for about $100.00, not too shabby of a deal.
    * AR-15 or Ruger Mini-14, .223 caliber (aka 5.56) is your standard go-to caliber, try to find one in that caliber. AR-15's can be found as low as $499 nowadays if you are willing to do the homework to find them
    * Pistol, here I recommend either a .357 revolver or a 9MM. Easy on the wallet as far as pricing for ammo goes, easily reloadable if you find yourself progressing to that level, and with the revolver, you can practice with .38 special as it also fits into a .357 revolver.

If you need any help, please let me know, Im more than willing to do some searching in your area and see if I can find something tailored to your budget!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    " ...always looking at things from the oblique... "
    This... this is a way of life! This is THE mantra for survival!