Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water

I have still yet to grow a brain

Water

Gotta question.

When you are in need of water. You find a source but it is not the cleanest. You have nothing specifically for water other than Iodine, container and the clothes on your back. Is it plausible to filter the water through an article of clothing into the container and use ~ 10 drops of Iodine per gallon to make the water less of an issue to drink?

What does Iodine do in water? Was does it fix? What does it not fix?
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

You can filter particulate and solids thru fabric, like a bandana for sure. I've used iodine once, and it made for some nasty water, but it's been so long, I don't know what it doesn't kill.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

For the Love of Cats

the finer the filter, the more it will take out. Start with a single layer of your t-shirt. That'll filter out the chunks, sticks, etc. Then do something finer, like your pants.

Even if you are using an actual water filter, this is still good practice to prefilter tohelp keep the filter cleaner longer.

but no clothing is going to get out the really nasty stuff, so so far all you've done is eliminated how much chewing you need to do before you swallow your water.

Here is how iodine works:
    Iodine kills the bacteria in water by disrupting the ionic balance within the pathogenic cells. It replaces the chemicals necessary for the bacteria or virus to thrive with iodide ions.

Note:
    If you remember correctly, iodine smelled funny and it dyed your skin orange. It does the same thing to your water and can be toxic if you use too much, just like bleach can. It can be especially harmful to kids and pregnant women and we don’t recommend that you use iodine as your primary water purification method in a survival situation.

However, it will do in a pinch and is most assuredly effective.

Another note:
    Iodine only kills living pathogens. If water is contaminated with poisons such as fertilizers or pesticides, heavy metals, certain parasites, radiation, or other forms of toxins, iodine isn’t going to help.

more info here:

http://www.survivopedia.com/how-to-p...r-with-iodine/
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Bacon saver

Or you could have one of these in your front yard............................http://www.homes.com/property/325-hi...id-330688156/#!

There's a railroad just over the ridge right behind the house. The road splits the property right there between the spring and the house so everyone drives right through the middle of your property aaand the house is a mobile home. I'm done with this one........next. what a fuckin shame.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    Or you could have one of these in your front yard............................http://www.homes.com/property/325-hi...id-330688156/#!

There's a railroad just over the ridge right behind the house. The road splits the property right there between the spring and the house so everyone drives right through the middle of your property aaand the house is a mobile home. I'm done with this one........next. what a fuckin shame.
    Monthly property tax over 600 bucks. Damn, I don't pay that a year.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I have also come across info stating that 50mg of Vitamin C will clear the flavor for a gallon of water.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

I'll most likely shit myself

I can't recall the exact amount of iodine to use per gallon of water but I seem to recall 8 drops per. I'll bet there is a thread here that has that exact data.

I agree with T, pre filter any water before using a true filter or purifier. Any material will stop them up quickly no matter how fine it is. Purifier is the only thing that will work on chem's toxins, to any degree.

may be in trouble

WM sells both Iodine and Halazone tablets. I remember Iodine tabs from the army... the bottle went in the little side pocket of the canteen/canteen cup cover. It had a waxlike something around the rim of the cap to keep moisture out.

I recall reading Ivan had a purifying tablet as well, smelled strongly of chlorine, and acted on precipitating impurities to the bottom of a container or hole. Probably chlorine dioxide or similar.

Katadyn is a big name in field water filtering. As much as they cost, small wonder.

As much as I like PMs, I have to say it... water is the REAL gold. Don't mess about on the cheap on purification methods if it is the stuff you'll be drinking.

I'll most likely shit myself

A couple other top quality field type purifiers are PUR and Sawyer. I have both, multiple Sawyers actually. For home use I have a big Berky with both types of cartridges. It takes out just about anything. You can also make your own set up using the Berky cartridges and 5 gallon buckets. Just as effective if put together right and a lot more volume if needed.

I understand the need for filtration and that will be the first fall back. Redoing the GHB/BOB and wanting to incorporate item with a multi use. Iodine is light, used for wounds and helps with water issues. Thank you for all of your input.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kesephist View Post
    WM sells both Iodine and Halazone tablets. I remember Iodine tabs from the army... the bottle went in the little side pocket of the canteen/canteen cup cover. It had a waxlike something around the rim of the cap to keep moisture out.

I recall reading Ivan had a purifying tablet as well, smelled strongly of chlorine, and acted on precipitating impurities to the bottom of a container or hole. Probably chlorine dioxide or similar.

Katadyn is a big name in field water filtering. As much as they cost, small wonder.

As much as I like PMs, I have to say it... water is the REAL gold. Don't mess about on the cheap on purification methods if it is the stuff you'll be drinking.
    I agree with you Kesephist, just thinking outside the box. If one needs to move (dropping the ruck) better have a fail safe for the 'real gold'