Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water

Bacon saver

OK, for those that aren't on the "run and gun" has anyone looked into the Ultra violet filtering for those that aren't on city water? I'm thinking about running this system if we ever get our shit together. Found another great piece of property only to zoom out and find a cluster of chicken/broiler houses to the southwest about 3 miles..............scratch another one.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    I have researched it a bit for Fish tanks. Not really a good thing for Aquaponics since some microorganisms are good. UV kills all of those I understand.
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

Bacon saver

With as many units, manufactures' and sizes, I imagine it works to some degree.

Ford, Chevy, Mopar............

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    As important as water is, I would not skimp on it.
    Yes, iodine works, but I, being allergic to seafood, cannot use it. The little sawyer units are so small and light, with huge amounts of capacity, it would be difficult to not try and find a pocket to stick one in. Both I and my wife have one.
    I do have a katydin, the pocket microfilter. I purchased it before I knew of the sawyer. Expensive, but an awesome unit.
    I kind of decided to skip uv, as it always requires a power source, and takes a little time to be sure. Not that it doesn't work, just didn't seem a good fit for us.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Bacon saver

Well the reason I ask about UV is I'll be off grid so I'm not going to worry about the power issue. What I want to know is If anyone used it and did they die.............I mean how did it work for them. I'm seeing an annual bulb change, scheduled maint. and cleaning so far. The unit needs to be close to where you are going to be using your water (like the house), recommend using a filter in conjunction with as well. Seems pretty simple to hook up and maintain overall not matter which one you get.

I recall tasting some water that had iodine added to "purify" the water. It was back when I was a kid in scouts. Tasted pretty bad, but if you have to drink you could choke it down.

Here in the area of Socal where we live, my concern is what happens when the BIG earthquake takes out the water mains? We do have water stored and could get by for quite some time, but if the water does not flow after about 6 or 8 weeks....

The river that is not too far from us is pretty dirty when it is not dry. I am sure it has its share of giardia as well as fecal contamination from animals and the homeless. My plan is get that water, and run through some filters to eliminate the big stuff. Step two is to boil it (yes, I have fuel for quite a long time) and then after it cools, pour it, aerate it and then add some of the stored chlorine bleach. I haven't the inclination to do the math to know how much water two gallons of chlorine bleach will purify but it is a lot!

Where does this plan break down?

I have still yet to grow a brain
    UV, sorry for the lapse in thought location. UV is a natural method used to kill bacteria. I understand <-- (have not tested or verified) that you can fill a clear plastic/plastic container and set it in the sunlight. A day of light is said to kill all of the bacteria/diseases in the water. You will still have all of the non living issues in the water.

Socalman, there are many methods of water collection. Have researched the majority since I live in CO (little water to locate)
    Rain Barrel 1" of rain water collected from a 1000sqft area = 600 gallons of water.
    Hot water heater and the average size house in water lines = ~60 gallons of water (40 gallon hot water heater)
    And then if it gets really ruff dew harvesting. http://inspiringfuture.org/wordpress...rinking-water/
    The tallest oak in the forest was once just a nut who held its ground.

Be decisive. Right or Wrong, make a decision. The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who could not make a decision.

For the Love of Cats

the plan only breaks down in the event of nuclear. That is where the iodine comes in. It helps your thyroid gland deal with it. Your purification for 'normal' shit is 100% spot on.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

For those new to the prep side of life, consider purchasing some 6 gallon water jugs from your local Walmart or camping supply place. The advantage of having them is you can move them fairly quickly if necessary. Try moving a 55 gallon drum of water. That drum will about 475 pounds. The 6 gallon jugs are under 50 pounds, so most people can move them.

Start with two jugs, add a teaspoon of chlorine bleach (non-scented)to each one, close it up and it will be good for a long time. I date mine and tend to rotate the water out after about 9 months. It still tastes ok, but fresher water will taste better and the old gets used for irrigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
    For those new to the prep side of life, consider purchasing some 6 gallon water jugs from your local Walmart or camping supply place. The advantage of having them is you can move them fairly quickly if necessary. Try moving a 55 gallon drum of water. That drum will about 475 pounds. The 6 gallon jugs are under 50 pounds, so most people can move them.

Start with two jugs, add a teaspoon of chlorine bleach (non-scented)to each one, close it up and it will be good for a long time. I date mine and tend to rotate the water out after about 9 months. It still tastes ok, but fresher water will taste better and the old gets used for irrigation.

you need the 5/6/7 gallon sized jugs for re-supply foraging - if the outside SHTF situation and environment allows - the rule is that it's always "gather while u can" and "keep prepping" ... don't ever accept complacency and never buy into the official bulletins concerning SHTF situations & termination dates ....