Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forseeable forcast...AKA SHTF.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

Well, the idiots from the various news outlets are out in Irma trying to get their money shots. One of these"experts", is going to get hurt badly or killed at the rate they are going. They don't have enough sense to stay out of harms way. Then you have the foolhardy idiots that want to feel what the winds and surf are like.
    I really love some of the stupid statements these forecasters make. This one however took the cake , "There is an extreme wind warning for Key West", its a CAT4 hurricane, what do you think the winds are going to be, light and breezy? Then there was the guy standing in 10" of running water out in the open, with his back to the wind trying to give a report. Can't see what is coming at you, and has no real footing should something happen. From the shot, noone is within 50 feet of him.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

This NOAA graphic shows the sea state created by Irma and Jose. To understand better the force of the pushed water, 1 cubic foot of water weighs 1 ton.

Now you know why we who served shipboard in the Navy, have a healthy respect for these storms.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/marine/graph...in=at#contents

Bacon saver

I'm seeing a slight bend to the west on that high pressure wall up in the panhandle and GA area, this liable to cause this thing to move out to the gulf more and then up into the panhandle. Note the orange/bronze color in the high pressure how its hooking down around the bottom of the storm. Watch what it's doing and what effect it's having.

"NEVER IN HISTORY has a tropical storm warning been issued in Atlanta georgia!" OH MY GOSH! Just got the word from Shelly (Sheppard) Smith on Fox, "quick we need more adjectives break out the big book!"

Be advised I am not down playing any of this I have family and friends down there and I am damn concerned If I was still living there I would STILL be living there right now boarded up loaded and locked. Because I would be prepped as I am now. The last reminders I gave to "F&F" (friends and family) was don't forget to spray paint "You loot I shoot" on your plywood.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Bacon saver

Well it looks like my high pressure band as predicted knocked the wind out of it's sails. By forcing it back on land the warm waters of the gulf can't give it the steam it needed to be a CAT 4, no wait cat 5, no wait cat 4, uh cat 7!

Again I'm no expert I just watch what the pressure bands tell me. I'm just very thankful that the destruction will be minimal, F&F will be OK from that. Now comes the other part, can "they" be civil and come home to a "home", this is something I actually pray for.

I want America to be America again. Now let's go deal with the other shit overseas.

Walking on Sunshine

BR
    Just talked to DIL In GA(checking up on them) Big stuff not due in ATL till this evening but she says they have been stocking up and are ready. This mom has been blathering at them for last couple of weeks. At least they have a basement to hide in if needed

Bacon saver

Uuuuuh, basement? I hope they're on some sort of high ground? Good to hear that they are prepped and ready, "Beans, Bullets and Band-Aids" generator would be nice to, don't forget the big heavy chain and lock. Remember what happened with Izzy a couple of years ago. They tried to steal his after the big winter/ice storm, first the dog got ahold of him, and he gave the command to let him go as I recall leaving a blood trail through the field and woods, the local sheriff said "He'll show up" and he did, at the ER, he told the sheriff he wanted press charges against the "dog owner" case closed, off to jail. Generators are a call to thieves once they are fired up in times like these.

Funny us little wacko preppers don't seem so crazy in times like these, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    Uuuuuh, basement? I hope they're on some sort of high ground? Good to hear that they are prepped and ready, "Beans, Bullets and Band-Aids" generator would be nice to, don't forget the big heavy chain and lock. Remember what happened with Izzy a couple of years ago. They tried to steal his after the big winter/ice storm, first the dog got ahold of him, and he gave the command to let him go as I recall leaving a blood trail through the field and woods, the local sheriff said "He'll show up" and he did, at the ER, he told the sheriff he wanted press charges against the "dog owner" case closed, off to jail. Generators are a call to thieves once they are fired up in times like these.

Funny us little wacko preppers don't seem so crazy in times like these, eh?

finishing up my new muffler install and exhaust system for running my generator inside my garage - should run virtually silent - exhaust is going thru a full sized auto muffler and then exiting out the roof 15 feet vertical ....

I see the vermin are out and about, trying to take what they can from stores and homes. 28 arrested in Broward County alone. We 'll see how long that lasts after the first one gets shot. Florida is a defend your ground state.I think we will see the "You loot, we shoot" signs soon.
    It is a shame it has to come to that, but mutts will be mutts.

Walking on Sunshine

Yes Son1's house is on a hill, most of basement is below the hill. No genny yet but will be "talking" at them soon. They have 2 grills, charcoal and propane plus last time power went out for a time their gas stove still worked. As for FL, Uncle and cousin carry and aren't afraid to use. I believe they shouldn't have a problem

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    You know what really pissed me off? taking a shower in those heavy seas.... I hated bouncing my naked ass off of that nasty ass rain locker. Sometimes shower shoes don't have the grip and you get folded up on your ass.... you get the picture. The navy shower is about 2.5 foot square. Sometimes they're not the cleanest in these conditions especially when the plumbing is gurgling up from the drain, it ain't purdy. Fun times! You bring back fond memories brother! Like doing the kapok jump in the Bosn's locker! Or the guy that slips in the vomit in the p-way and does the electric slide, it's all over, can't regain footing, ship keeps rockin and rolling and you keep getting covered in vomit.
    You make it all sound so magical, so fun. When can I sign up?
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.