Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pressure cooker still

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...

Pressure cooker still

I have ordered a used 6 qt stainless steel pressure cooker from EBay. I am planning on converting it into a small still to distill some experimental spirits, not to keep, because that would be illegal. As a good citizen, I would be sure to “destroy” any product that would come from it. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this?
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

I'll most likely shit myself

Domey, I think (but not 100% certain) that you can distill spirits for personal use. You just cant sell it. And limited to a certain amount.

Here is Tennessee’s current laws on moonshine.

Moonshine had been considered illegal in most part of Tennessee before 2010 when it was legal in only 3 counties. But, since 2010 it is legal in 44 counties provided that the manufacturer holds a license issued by the state (the Tennessee Code 2010 39-17-706).The first moonshine distillery license was granted in 2010 to Ole Smoky Moonshine Distillery. Unlicensed production of moonshine is considered to be a Class A misdemeanour.
    Possession of still or any other apparatus for distilling moonshine is considered to be a Class B misdemeanour (The Tennessee Code 2010 39-17-707).
    Distillation of moonshine in homes is not allowed without a license which subjects you to tax, but manufacture of un-distilled liquor up to 5 gallons is allowed in Tennessee provided that it is used for domestic use only (The Tennessee Code 39-17-708).

What are the steps for acquiring Moonshine Production license in Tennessee?
    In order to be eligible for producing moonshine, the manufacturer has to obtain a distillery license. This can be done by filling out Distillery Application Form (Form AB-0034), Questionnaire (Form AB-0009) and by getting the site of production approved by the state. A $300 application fee (non-redundable) fee and an annual $1000 fee will also be charged. A TTB Distilled Spirit plant and a TTB Basic Permit is also required to fulfil federal laws.

If I was to distill a product for home use only, I would have to have a license and pay $1300.

*** It is however legal to have a still to use for distilling essential oils and for the purification of water***

CC Gray Panther
    Quote Originally Posted by Domeguy View Post
    Here is Tennessee’s current laws on moonshine.

Moonshine had been considered illegal in most part of Tennessee before 2010 when it was legal in only 3 counties. But, since 2010 it is legal in 44 counties provided that the manufacturer holds a license issued by the state (the Tennessee Code 2010 39-17-706).The first moonshine distillery license was granted in 2010 to Ole Smoky Moonshine Distillery. Unlicensed production of moonshine is considered to be a Class A misdemeanour.
    Possession of still or any other apparatus for distilling moonshine is considered to be a Class B misdemeanour (The Tennessee Code 2010 39-17-707).
    Distillation of moonshine in homes is not allowed without a license which subjects you to tax, but manufacture of un-distilled liquor up to 5 gallons is allowed in Tennessee provided that it is used for domestic use only (The Tennessee Code 39-17-708).

What are the steps for acquiring Moonshine Production license in Tennessee?
    In order to be eligible for producing moonshine, the manufacturer has to obtain a distillery license. This can be done by filling out Distillery Application Form (Form AB-0034), Questionnaire (Form AB-0009) and by getting the site of production approved by the state. A $300 application fee (non-redundable) fee and an annual $1000 fee will also be charged. A TTB Distilled Spirit plant and a TTB Basic Permit is also required to fulfil federal laws.

If I was to distill a product for home use only, I would have to have a license and pay $1300.

*** It is however legal to have a still to use for distilling essential oils and for the purification of water***

I like purified water with a kick. If you fine tune it Domey maybe we can run Rat's dozer with it and quench our thirst at the same time. Just saying.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Pretty sure it is illegal on the federal level no matter what state you live in.

However, be advised it is illegal to distill alcohol without having either a "distilled spirits permit" or a "federal fuel alcohol permit." It does not matter if the alcohol is for personal use only, not for sale, etc. A common misconception is that only stills 1 gallon and smaller are legal.Jan 11, 2013
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Yes Helo, you are correct, it is illegal to have a still to make moonshine without a license. But not illegal to have the still for other non moonshine uses.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by Domeguy View Post
    Yes Helo, you are correct, it is illegal to have a still to make moonshine without a license. But not illegal to have the still for other non moonshine uses.
    Just making sure everyone knows what not to say.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Bacon saver

Great thread, thanks for the info guys! Between all the smokin wood I have now (apple, sugar maple, hickory) have to build a smoker. NOW, you can't have smoked meat without spirits, also, spirits are "required" when smoking meat. One has to stand watch over said smoker with a keen sense of awareness. That cannot be accomplished without spirits..........uh, and tunes, music helps tenderize the meat. Yes, must have tunes.

It's difficult process, not for the feeble minded. Whatever that means.

Another note of interest, LadyHK and I were out on the 4-wheeler the other day. We were up on the ridge of the new place, you could smell the mash from the distillery (Jack Daniels) it was pretty heavy in the air. Soooooo?
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

SO..... that begs the question of their definition of moonshine. I know people make their own beer and such. So is it just hard liquor?

I believe “most” people would define moonshine as a distilled corn liquor. Beer is a fermented beverage, like wine. You can then distill wine through a still and get brandy, which then makes it hard liquor. But that’s my opinion.