Thread: HF antenna came down in the High Wnds of recent.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HF antenna came down in the High Wnds of recent.

Got a good look at my HF wire loop antenna after the high winds of recent and both ends of the loop have broken off of the feed point where it is connected the ladder line.

This is going to mean a trip to the roof via my telescoping ladder...and also re throwing a line to the tree aside my garage wherein the pulley broke loose and the line holding up that portion of the wire loop fell down.

I still have up my home made J pole for VHF/UHF bands but seldom use those and prefer HF radio for most of my needs.

I'll get it hooked back up in a few days and be back on the airwaves.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Bacon saver

I hate it when that happens.

All I can say is......550 para-cord. It's been holding up my antennas for at least 5 yrs so far. Stainless steel, single sheave block, OK pulley, for hauling it up and down for maint. cleaning the sap off. If you get the real deal that shit seems to last a life time, it's been a lifesaver more than once.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    I hate it when that happens.

All I can say is......550 para-cord. It's been holding up my antennas for at least 5 yrs so far. Stainless steel, single sheave block, OK pulley, for hauling it up and down for maint. cleaning the sap off. If you get the real deal that shit seems to last a life time, it's been a lifesaver more than once.

Hmmmm...recently bought a large roll of Para cord at a local surplus store. I paid a pretty penny for it. I reckon I will try switching it out when repairing my antenna system. The main reason I got it is that it is OD Green and will not show up as brightly as this white Nylon Rope from Home Depot.
    I was not thinking about it being more durable.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Ok.....today I finally got off my backside and put my HF long wire loop back up.

I decided that if I did not do it today, I probably would not get around to it for a couple of weeks.

After I completed the hook up...I called a fellow I knew on the 11 meter band to check it out locally.
    The copy was fine and I cleared with him to call my friend out in Tennessee.

We tried 40 meters and I could copy him but the copy was weak.

Switching to 75 meters running stock radio power the copy was much better.

Glad to find it is working well and hopefully we will not get to many more bouts of high wind.

Q5,

Thanks,
    Orangetom

I restrung a whole section of this same HF antenna to put this section up about 15 feet higher than previously was the case.

Standing back and looking at it ..I was just not satisfied with the manner in which it was located in the trees.

I cast my fishing pole and it's 3 ounce lead sinker higher up into the trees and reeled back a length of 1/8 diameter nylon line from Home Depot. To this line was attached the wire antenna and then pulled back up into the trees some 15 feet higher up in the branches.

We shall see later tonight when I try to reach my friend out in Tennessee ..some 400 miles down range....as to whether this helped my receive and transmit.

Thanks and 73,
    Orangetom

No Joy tonight on contacting my friend on 75 meters.

A quick cell phone call and my friend told me that they are having thunder storms out that way this evening so he is not getting on the air and has his coaxial cable unplugged. We will try to make the hook up this evening...Sunday.

I am up late here standing the night watch here at my radio shack.

I have made some local contacts on the CB bands to people I know and the copy seems to be up a bit in signal strength so it seems at least that the 15 extra feet is giving me some better local reception.,

Thanks,
    Orangetom

Talked with my friend out in Tennessee on 75 meters tonight and his copy seemed to be a bit better in signal strength. It seems the 15 feet more of altitude in that portion of the antenna is capturing more signal.

When I transmitted to him he gave a bit better signal report as I was running 80 watts. Some 20 over on the signal.

Usually I am running about 9 to 10 on the S meter.

We shall see the next time I run this rig on the antenna. Rig is a ICOM 706 Mk II with a desk microphone....to an antenna tuner to the ladder line and then the loop antenna.

Thanks,
    Orangetom