Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First House

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First House

So my wife and I are buying our first house. We made our offer, it was accepted. The inspection has been done and the addendum for the fixes was done. Right now we are waiting on the VA appraisal to come back and then it will just be waiting for the closing date. We have to wait until the end of May to close so I will be one year on the job.

Plenty of things to do to the house after we move in but it has 5 acres and it is laid out perfectly to shoot on. From the house to the back of the property is 300yds. I love it.

Double garages under the house which will be nice. The detached workshop has no garage door though, despite it being plenty big enough.

This summer I will be prepping to start a garden, working out if a wind generator is worth it(weather monitoring station to monitor for a year) and finding out how the heck to plow the stupid driveway!

We are excited and I just figured I would share the news with you.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Awesome, congrats.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

For the Love of Cats

That's great, congrats!

This is the prefered method of snow removal around my parts...
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Sniper,
    Yeah I was thinking about that but I am pretty sure we will get a tractor to do the yard then get a snowblower attachment shortly before winter.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    ****Congratulations new home owner**** ��
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.

Bacon saver

Congrats Guns, Yup, a man's got to have his implements of destruction if he has acreage. Tractor with a loader/w multiple attachments of course, log splitter, bulldozer, maybe a tuff truck to get around on the property? Hell boy the skie's the limit now, you got a place to stand your ground!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Congratulations. The first house is always special.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

I'll most likely shit myself

Congrats GM. Exciting times for sure.

So we move in beginning of june and I've started thinking about what needs to be done and what can be done outside.

Gardens are a given and I need to build a bridge to get to the back part of the property as it is split in half by a fairly deep drainage ditch. The propane tank needs re-positioned and other odds and ends things done to the house.

Other than that though I can't think of much that needs done.

Because of the ditch I have 2 1/2 acres in front of the ditch and the same behind it. Was thinking about maybe a food plot for deer and some brush piles for rabbits and such. Just not sure what else I can even do with it. Most of it was never mowed in the back half so there are a few trees and such but I can always get around those. Because of the ditch I decided against getting a larger tractor and just getting a decent sized garden tractor. Rain gathering would be a tricky thing with our winters and not really needed since we have a well pump and a generator. Greenhouse would be amazing but I have to convince the wife. Fencing is expensive but would be very useful.....

Any ideas?

I'll most likely shit myself

Sounds like a nice place. I'm sure you all will be thrilled to get moved in.

Couple ideas for ya. On the back half, how bout planting some fruit trees, Maybe some blueberries, grapes, raspberries, etc. If there are a lot of trees, maybe try a forest garden. Plant different perennial foods all around the area The brush piles and food plot isn't a bad idea either, Maybe some of both. Those things don't take as much day to day work once established as normal gardening. But there is a decent amount of food to be had that will add to the normal gardens.