Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In praise of the P38 can opener....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

In praise of the P38 can opener....

While up at the furnished cabin just outside of Waynesboro, Virginia.....we stopped at the local Wal Mart to get groceries to see us through the week.

While preparing dinner the first evening...the olde type hand can opener did not seem to work...it appeared to just be worn out...and was one of those olde squeeze together handle types where you squeeze and turn the butterfly knob...

I remembered that I had brought my daily BOB as it had in it my 2 meter walkie talkie, shortwave receiver and MP3 Player with FM radio. But it also had in it a small supply of P38 military can openers.

I took one out and proceeded to open the two large cans of corn to be prepared for dinner.
    That got us through the night and a few other dinners to follow.

I don't like to leave home without a P38 and often have one on my various key chains. I just knew to put some extras in my various BOBs.

Great invention the P38 can opener and one which is "Almost" GI proof.

However...I think I am going to update my stash of P38s with the some of the newer larger ones..the P51s .....with more mechanical advantage by design. The P51s work the same way ...just a bit larger...more leverage.

Thanks,
    Orangetom

CC Gray Panther
    Yep still carry mine that I had in Nam from 70 to 71. She's old but runs like she did back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle326 View Post
    Yep still carry mine that I had in Nam from 70 to 71. She's old but runs like she did back in the day.

Wow Eagle...you were in about the time I was in the USAF...69 to 73. Was supposed to go to Na Trang in 72-73..but by then they were winding down the war. I wound up in Iceland for my last year.

Still...I always try to keep a P 38 around. They come in handy for the strangest things including opening cans.

But as I get older...it is a bit harder on my wrist. Yup....time catches up with us.

I am thinking about upgrading to a P-51 can opener.

Thanks for your time in country.

Orangetom

CC Gray Panther

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by orangetom1999 View Post
    Wow Eagle...you were in about the time I was in the USAF...69 to 73. Was supposed to go to Na Trang in 72-73..but by then they were winding down the war. I wound up in Iceland for my last year.

Still...I always try to keep a P 38 around. They come in handy for the strangest things including opening cans.

But as I get older...it is a bit harder on my wrist. Yup....time catches up with us.

I am thinking about upgrading to a P-51 can opener.

Thanks for your time in country.

Orangetom

Was in from 68 to 73 . 82nd 68 to 70 ; 101st. 70 to 71 Nam ; 27th Engr. Btl 71 to 73.
    I've used 51's and they are easier but I'm still able to work my 38 pretty easy. Don't want to retire the old girl until I can't operate her any longer. It would be like getting a divorce or a death.
    Thanks I gained many brothers during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle326 View Post
    Was in from 68 to 73 . 82nd 68 to 70 ; 101st. 70 to 71 Nam ; 27th Engr. Btl 71 to 73.
    I've used 51's and they are easier but I'm still able to work my 38 pretty easy. Don't want to retire the old girl until I can't operate her any longer. It would be like getting a divorce or a death.
    Thanks I gained many brothers during that time.
    Agree eagle,

I too am not getting rid of my P38s. I am however going to keep on hand some P51s. I do not get rid of even an olde jacket which has serve me well....I keep trying to patch them up to keep going. It is my way.

Thank You Gentlemen,

Orangetom

For the Love of Cats

I wonder if you put a wrap of tape around it if they would 'notice it' at the airport?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Walking on Sunshine

I had mine in my wallet February when I flew back from taking care of DIL. No one said anything to me about it.Either they didn't know what it was or they just ignored it.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Thank You for your service, both of you.

We have a nice little stash of p38 can openers. I've seen but not tried the p51.
    I have one on my key hair that's been there 35yrs, still works same as when I got it.
    You gotta be careful now, buying them. Since they haven't made them in some time, there are cheap copies available, not as good as the real ones.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Got 20 P 51 can openers in the mail today. I have put several in my daily go to and fro work BOB.

I will be putting some of them also in my GHBs in my various vehicles.

I think this will offer better leverage over the long run with my wrists....but will not be getting rid of my P 38s,

Thanks,
    Orangetom

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Thank you OT. This is one small area among many I was lacking. I ordered 5 of the P-51 can openers that arrived today. One going into each vehicle with the car GHB, and one in each BOB at home,
    and put the other in the wood shop. Again, thanks for the reminder.
    "Teach the children quietly
    For someday sons and daughters
    Will rise up and fight while we stood still"

I stayed up all night to see where the sun went. Then it dawned on me.