Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New homestead

Bacon saver

New homestead

Hey ants,
    I/we are still alive and kick'n, can't believe I've been at this since November. Since last visit here the outside of the cabin is now done, I sanded down all the walls inside and we applied 2 coats of "Symphony", good shit. I demoed the kitchen and can now take all those cabinets out to the shop to clear the house so it can be ready to sand the floors. I cleared land for "agricultural maintenance building", poured slab and built the building. It's now finally ready to start framing the "shop" portion. But I am currently detained here at the present house because I have loggers working the property.

Lessons learned so far? Yeah, a shit load, like which people I will never hire again, nor recommend. Everyone has to be babysitted PERIOD, if you don't pay attention they will cut corners, fuck shit up and never say a word. You can't count on anyone, communication sucks. I could go on and on but I have the day off for once so now I can go weedwack and mow here, yeah!

We decided we were going to hire people to do the work this time in order to save time so we can get moved in quicker. "So I won't have to do all the work" it just doesn't work out that way. Wah, wah, wah......get over it your not dead yet. So we are still plugging along, yes, I have pictures but I still need a site that I can use to post them.
    I guess that's it for now, sorry folks but it's been a blur.
    Be safe,
    Out

Peace, love and no underwear!
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

CC Gray Panther
    The Man has gone commando!! Saves on laundry work.
    Would love to see pictures. Especially you doing dozer work along with your other projects.

1-Built wife a mud room out of open side porch.
    2- Small deck on north side
    3- Small deck on south side w/ fenced in dog run area.
    4- Just finished 8' deep x 16' 6" front porch w/ decking boards w/ white vinyl railings and hand rails.
    5- Cleared out wife's 10' x 20' shed with her help and will be insulating ; wiring it up and paneling so she'll have her own woman's cave.
    6- Still planting various flowers ; bushes and such as per her request.

But at the end of the day a couple brews and a 2 or 3 finger glass of Evan Williams and I'm good to go for whatever she has up her sleeve .
    Last edited by eagle326; 08-04-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Lol, I hear ya both. Just moved myself one week ago. To the place I've been renovating almost 1 1/2yrs, about 80% by myself.
    We will be homesteading here. But, first, it's get the last of what we want from the old place, clean out what we didn't want, do some repair work there, and sell it.
    Then, try to get here finished (out of boxes), finish the shop so I can make a few $, and start on homesteading.

It's so quiet, I was thinking the other night of calling the sherriffs office and asking if they'd come hammering down the road a few times, lights and sirens, so I'd feel at home.
    I haven't heard a shot fired in anger in over a week.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

I'll most likely shit myself

Good to hear things are progressing BWRR.

Bacon saver

Still need a picture site, "Gunfixr", Eagle" no fair dudes didn't know this was going to be a competition. Congrats on moving in, I know how that is, more to follow. DG and the little lady were over today, yup mines bigger than his, Ha! I kill me! Keep workin boys we have a long way to go, at least out kids will enjoy the places when we're dead.

CC Gray Panther
    Quote Originally Posted by Brownwater Riverrat 13 View Post
    Still need a picture site, "Gunfixr", Eagle" no fair dudes didn't know this was going to be a competition. Congrats on moving in, I know how that is, more to follow. DG and the little lady were over today, yup mines bigger than his, Ha! I kill me! Keep workin boys we have a long way to go, at least out kids will enjoy the places when we're dead.
    NO ; NO and NO again !!
    R.R. you know better Chief ; This isn't a competition among us. It's a statement as to what our wives A.K.A. (Bosses ) expect of men like us that have those abilities most men don't have. Little do they know what goes on in our man caves.
    Shit they probably bugged the damn place ; counter measures ; deploy immediately !! You have the tougher job than I my brother. Mine is what I call cosmetic work . So simple a caveman could do it.

Hope you find people trust worthy enough to do the work . Have same problem up here. Gypsies quit pulling into my horse shoe driveway with the cheap discount for left over blacktop. Do ya think it was because of my hat and duo 9 m.m. auto's open carry on said property ? I was friendly ; really I was.

Wasn't a competition here. Bought the place in Feb '16.
    Didn't really get started on it until early '17, after the place I worked went out of business. Spent almost 1 1/2yrs doing a near total Reno, the vast majority myself, alone. It's been my job, basically.
    Once the old place sells, I'll set up the shop, and work from home. Garden, chickens, etc sometime in there. Gonna set up a range, with short and longer berms.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

Bacon saver

Yeah, I know it's not a competition. Gunfxr, been tracking your progress over the year. Eagle, way to go brother, I'm sure you enjoyed the time off.

Seriously, old folks get it done, the young folks don't seem to have any work ethics. I see people come and go with the subs that we hired. Their main complaint "nobody wants to work" I could give two shits about their problem. "I" am your problem when you have to work for me.

On the lighter side, I just got back the two ten foot Cherry logs. The lumber mill was nice enough to slice it up for me, 3 4x4's, one 2x4 and the rest is all 1" boards ranging from 4 to 10" wide. I'm thinking about slicing up a couple of Black Walnuts as well. This will increase the variety of wood we'll have to play with to make stuff. I just have to get it stacked and spaced so it can dry out. We looked at it this way, they wanted to give $60 for the logs, screw that, I ended up with a trailer full of ruff sawn boards that would cost over a grand I'm sure. I know we'll use to build something.

I'm happy to see/hear that everyone is making progress. So we'll just keep plugin along and make life better and easier, at least for us and our families. At's what we do, right?

CC Gray Panther
    Yep ; enjoyed down time. Evans helps those old bones aches and pains. Beer quenches the thirst.
    Youngins' spend too much time in and on electronics and know nothing of manual labor and power or manual tools.
    A lot that I've met stand around until told what to do even though they've been told their job description and duties before hand.If I have to tell you or baby sit your ass you and whatever you brought to job leaves immediately .If you run into a problem is one thing if you've never encountered it before . The rest is bullshit to my old ass. Just watching them tells you if they're milking or faking it.

Critical thinking for some of them is like a messed up wet dream. And most of them probably don't know what that is.
    That's some sweet lumber there R.R. You'll have a good time figuring out how to use it. Maybe make Lady K a nice custom cutting board with some. Keep us dialed in on your adventures. And give that dozer a squeeze from me.

Yeah, my wife works management in retail. Can't find young people to work, and always complaining about how "it's not fair".
    Both of the kids, one 26, the other 20, have almost no critical thinking skills. School teaches kids just enough to do what they're told, not enough to be independent. Sucks, because they are both quite intelligent.
    Otherwise, just tryin' to get through. Not much rest for the weary or wicked, it seems.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk