Thread: New home location and starting over - and a target of weather

New home location and starting over - and a target of weather

Not me, but our son.

In June my son and his family moved to Hawaii for work reasons. There was a considerable cost in moving the household to the middle of the Pacific. They had a small (I think it was 20 feet in length) shipping container that was crammed wall to wall, floor to ceiling. However they had to sell or leave a number of items behind. A fair amount of their emergency prep items stayed had to be left behind. Fortunately they took their water storage containers and some freeze-dried food. Left behind was their gas grill and propane bottles. The grill was on its last days anyway and some scavenger picked it up while I ended up with 2 more propane bottles.

One of the first things he did when they moved into their house on Maui was to fill those water containers. Yeah, his wife thought it was silly. He also started to rebuild some food storage with canned goods, though they are not prepped for a very long period.

As the hurricane Lane approaches them in Maui they are ready with enough water for a few weeks and food for maybe 7 - 10 days. They won't starve but they will get by.

In the area they live there is no natural gas so if they lose electricity, it will be a bitch to prepare food. I told them to get a camp stove NOW and some propane so at least you can boil water and cook the dried rice and beans. Cold, canned food will not be too exciting! Also with a cooking source, they can boil water for drinking if shtf really lasts beyond 10 days.

What is sort of sad is that with as little as they have now, they are in better shape than many people around this country.

Here's a pro tip for last minute / late preps: If you need to buy something from a big box store (like a generator or bbq or whatever) order it online, for store pickup. That way it's set aside for you, and won't be sold out.

Walking on Sunshine

Good Idea , however make sure a dumb employee doesn't sell it out from under them when they get called to pick it up. Son 2 did that, ordered a generator on line for pick up, He said when he was called he told them he would pick it up AFTER he got out of work (3:00 pm that day),went to pick it up after he got out of work same day it came in. The store wound up giving him a more expensive(better)model of generator because an employee sold his to another customer, even though my son's name was on it AND the date/time he was picking it up.The doofus thought Son didn't pick it up and it was fair game. My son was livid and he admits made a bit of a scene. The store now has made sure that if you order to pick up, they give clients 2 days before it goes back into stock.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    Good Idea , however make sure a dumb employee doesn't sell it out from under them when they get called to pick it up. Son 2 did that, ordered a generator on line for pick up, He said when he was called he told them he would pick it up AFTER he got out of work (3:00 pm that day),went to pick it up after he got out of work same day it came in. The store wound up giving him a more expensive(better)model of generator because an employee sold his to another customer, even though my son's name was on it AND the date/time he was picking it up.The doofus thought Son didn't pick it up and it was fair game. My son was livid and he admits made a bit of a scene. The store now has made sure that if you order to pick up, they give clients 2 days before it goes back into stock.

Doofus should have gotten well chewed and pay docked and / or canned.

Bacon saver

Oh well "Doofus" is new here so we have to give him a participation trophy, it's in the new employer handbook.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Walking on Sunshine

Well it worked out for the better , he was just in it for a paycheck and got fired about 2 weeks later. Guess he couldn't stay off his phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    Well it worked out for the better , he was just in it for a paycheck and got fired about 2 weeks later. Guess he couldn't stay off his phone.

wouldn't be the first retail clerk to take a $20 for finding "more" in the backroom ....

We just returned from visiting our son, the topic of this thread. He was slightly better prepped for hurican Layne than he led me to believe. He did see that he needed to have a better source for cooking and at least finally got a gas grill and ordered a 2 burner camp stove from Amazon. He is actively looking to add more propane bottles! Damn things are expensive in Hawaii! A new 5 gallon bottle from Costco is $35 empty there. The exact saame bottle is $24.99 today in my local Costco. He knows he needs to build his water supply back up to where it was when he left California, right now he is good for only about a week, not counting his hot water heater which could add anotherweek to 10 days. His stock of prep foods is still low, they are probabaly only ready for about a week. One thing that hurrican did do was make his wife see the need to be self-sufficient for a few weeks.

Walking on Sunshine

Good thing, well not good about the hurricane but hope it will spur sons wife on. Just wish something would light a fire under DaHubs. Might get somethings done sooner than later. Hope son and family stay safe and come out with out too much damage. Prayers going out to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
    Not me, but our son.

In June my son and his family moved to Hawaii for work reasons. There was a considerable cost in moving the household to the middle of the Pacific. They had a small (I think it was 20 feet in length) shipping container that was crammed wall to wall, floor to ceiling. However they had to sell or leave a number of items behind. A fair amount of their emergency prep items stayed had to be left behind. Fortunately they took their water storage containers and some freeze-dried food. Left behind was their gas grill and propane bottles. The grill was on its last days anyway and some scavenger picked it up while I ended up with 2 more propane bottles.

One of the first things he did when they moved into their house on Maui was to fill those water containers. Yeah, his wife thought it was silly. He also started to rebuild some food storage with canned goods, though they are not prepped for a very long period.

As the hurricane Lane approaches them in Maui they are ready with enough water for a few weeks and food for maybe 7 - 10 days. They won't starve but they will get by.

In the area they live there is no natural gas so if they lose electricity, it will be a bitch to prepare food. I told them to get a camp stove NOW and some propane so at least you can boil water and cook the dried rice and beans. Cold, canned food will not be too exciting! Also with a cooking source, they can boil water for drinking if shtf really lasts beyond 10 days.

What is sort of sad is that with as little as they have now, they are in better shape than many people around this country.

hopefully they filled those water containers with some of their dry good foods for shipping to the Islands >>> except for rice just about everything else gets shipped in - anytime you have package voids you pour in a loose grain fill - even if it's nothing more than popcorn beads ...