Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bug-out Bicycle

For the Love of Cats

Bug-out Bicycle

Pre-SHTF, I want to set up my mountain bike with a hard gun case where I can carry a hunting rifle. has anyone done this? or seen this done?

I'm thinking I'd like to utilize the kolpin case, so I can pop it off my quad and onto the bike somehow...

Wholesale Sports

thoughts?

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I have not seen this done, but if you run across some good info, please share it with the rest of us. Putting a rifle case on my bike would give me a really good reason to get off my ass and ride the damn thing.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

For the Love of Cats

I've got a rack on the back of it and a set of paniers already. I'm thinking something like this:

Wholesale Sports

And yeah, I've been riding my bike all over hells 1/2 acre, with my rifle slung on me, and it is a PITA.

I've got a moose hunting trip coming up, and I'll be able to use my bike to get into some pretty remote areas... If I can make something work

I'm looking forward to seeing the picture you post of you riding home on your bicycle with the moose riding on the handlebars!

For the Love of Cats

LOL!

I think at the point where I actually get one, I'll ride back to camp for the quad and trailer. Not by choice though... moose just cant operate the brakes with hooves.

Premium Member

Wink Sling it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Pre-SHTF, I want to set up my mountain bike with a hard gun case where I can carry a hunting rifle. has anyone done this? or seen this done??
    An AR-7 .22 rifle that stores in its own stock is the only rifle I can think of that could be attached easily to a mountain bike. Otherwise, there just isn't a whole lot of room on a bicycle frame.

Ever hear of a rifle sling? Put a sling on your rifle, put your rifle over your back, and pedal your bike wherever you want. French soldiers and English soldiers did this during World War I. This eliminates the hard case and keeps your rifle ready to use. Your body cushions the rifle so it doesn't take the hard shocks it would if attached to a bicycle frame. That's the best I can come up with...hope it helps.

During WWII the Nazis used a lot of bicycles with a variety of long guns slung across their backs from full sized mausers to smgs...

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by DisasterGuy View Post

Ever hear of a rifle sling? Put a sling on your rifle, put your rifle over your back, and pedal
    Um... yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    I've been riding my bike all over hells 1/2 acre, with my rifle slung on me, and it is a PITA.
    Except that when riding (snomo, quad, bike, whatever) I never sling a rifle on my back, always on the front.

If you ever take a tumble, there is nothing you can do to protect your gun, and it will get smashed, bent, dented or something... AND you will also pound it into your back and most times this will result in broken ribs.

I have a folding rifle that would be easy to transport (fits in a camelback bag) but probably not very effective for hunting.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

This is the Worksman Tricycle I mentioned getting for $150 a couple of months ago in the what have you done to prep this week thread. $16.53 later this is what I have ready to go.

Overall view from the front

From the rear

Side view, notice the heavy frame
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com