Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Bug-out Bicycle

For the Love of Cats

A friend picked up one of these and uses it for his daily commute in the summer. he is overweight, so he pedals when he can, and uses the motor when he has to. mounts onto any kind of bike...

http://www.motorizedbicycle.ca/bicycle-engine-kits.html
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

RIP, brother. We are diminshed.
    ok, guys. i have seen the ones that ST is talking about. they are loud and noisy. pretty cool, though. still i'd rather have a Duo Bike. you know one that does on road and off road. around here a moped or motorized bike wouldn't get me far.

edit. after thinking for a minute. i'll pass on either. if i am bugging out, i want to be as quiet as i can. don't want the 'bubba's' following me. (save my bullets for something important) besides i can hide me tracks on foot.
    "Ya need a hug, or a twinkee? Wait..forget the twinkie". - Dropy

"I'll be in my bunk" Jayne Cobb

'Catch, sauté, and release...' Sniper-T

'Always smile... it makes people wonder what the fuck you are thinking!' Sniper-T

Body Armor is not bullet proof, it is only bullet resistant.* Learn to become strictly a head hunter.*

'All I really needed was a hug'............ Domeguy

I call big spoon.
    I've given a serious look at those motopeds. The survival model is still a couple months until release....then figure backorder. They're spendy plus the 2500 is before shipping and an engine. It's a fairly serious bike with some higher end parts. Not all top shelf, but a comparitive downhill bike costs a bit itself. I'm not sure how powerful the 49cc engine would be, especially with the weight of rider and loadout.
    I just thought it would be good for me since I don't have a motorcycle license, I live on the city, I've had experience with those types of bikes and have raced competivly.
    I can't really get a motorcycle here and make it a bug out bike. But this thing falls under the motorized bicycle category. So long as it's under 50cc.

People have done wild things with theirs. The dirt bike looking one has been out for a while.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Where are you from?
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

I call big spoon.
    Northeast PA

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman Survival View Post
    I love this @domeguy. I smell a spring project for me...
    Ring...ring...ring. That's the alarm clock. Mr. Cave man sir, it's Spring time...let's get to building!
    [IMG][/IMG]

For the Love of Cats

Hmmm, haven't seen CS for a while. Wonder how he's doing?

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Thinks it might be German

This is a pretty cool thread. We have mountain bikes that we ride on some local trails. I would like to outfit mine with some panniers and a rear rack for carrying small loads.
    "Off Grid" magazine did an article a while back on bug out bikes that really got me thinking, and "Be Ready" magazine is advertising a BOBike article in a "In the next issue" 4 page add, in the latest "Shotgun News". Point is.... It seems Bug out Bikes are hot right now.

Question:
    Has anyone had any experience with airless tires? How do they ride? Any issues with them coming off the rim, etc...
    I want to try a pair, but I haven't done my research yet.
    Not having to worry about rupturing a tube in a glass and nail environment would be huge.
    This is the one I'm looking at.

The 12 Gauge... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

may be in trouble

Hello.

Not strictly -a- bicycle, but rather two... I've been noodling in my head the idea of two identical bicycles with the drive trains dropped, and the frames linked with hollow square pierced metal stock (think road sign supports) into a single towed cart, ala Mormon handcart. Preferably a pair of fat-tire 26"-29" single speeds with modern (read: light and strong) frames. "Beach cruisers", I think they used to be called. Fill the tires with solid tubes, keep the drive trains handy for breaking down one back into a bike if need be.

Lightweight is gonna be a sine qua non, as I am looking at sometime soon going up into some fairly crusty sandstone ranges with a rig like this, if only for a test run, preparatory to the Real Thing.

In eager patience to put my 1885 Morgan on as an avatar,

I am

Kesephist

For the Love of Cats

Welcome aboard kesephist...

Interesting idea, if I am following correctly. Do you have a cocktail napkin sketch that you can add to clarify a couple things? upload to photobucket and copy/paste the image code into your text.

Sounds really interesting!!

In addition to a pull cart, would there be any reason why two riders couldn't use the set up to traverse?