Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw Primer

The hot sexy one

Ok..........I was going to post in my old fuel thread, but I believe here will do more justice. Recently I rotated my gasoline storage (year old as always, with fuel stabilizer) . Encountered a problem I have never had , everything runs fine on the stored fuel, except my Stihl.
    I disassembled , cleaned put back together ....same issue idle rough, no power or high rpm. Stalls when going to cut.....

Was the stored gas, everything............. cars, lawnmower, weedeater(4cycle) , generator, compressor, welder all runs fine......But the Stihl chainsaw and also a poulan chainsaw all had the same issues ........Fresh fuel cured the issues..........

Apparently the octane degrades enough in storage to affect the gasoline when mixed with oil it becomes useless.........

Thoughts............

I'll most likely shit myself

What kind of treatment are you using? I've not ran into this problem with the chainsaw. I have with my push mower and generator running like crap. I used stabil in my storage last year. Never had any trouble out of it before. It could be all the ethonal being blended in the gas going bad quicker.

The hot sexy one

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    What kind of treatment are you using? I've not ran into this problem with the chainsaw. I have with my push mower and generator running like crap. I used stabil in my storage last year. Never had any trouble out of it before. It could be all the ethonal being blended in the gas going bad quicker.

Using stabil and in airtite containers..........Going to keep a fresher stock for 2 cycles, would suck to be dependent on a 2 cycle engine and all your fuel stores were useless for them....

I guess it could be possible I purchased some bad gas and stored it......I still have a couple more barrels unopened , that were purchased a month apart from this supply....I will definately have to try them out and see if the saw runs...

If anything we now have a way to identify gas when it is going bad.........

Quote Originally Posted by TroubleShooter View Post
    Ok..........I was going to post in my old fuel thread, but I believe here will do more justice. Recently I rotated my gasoline storage (year old as always, with fuel stabilizer) . Encountered a problem I have never had , everything runs fine on the stored fuel, except my Stihl.
    I disassembled , cleaned put back together ....same issue idle rough, no power or high rpm. Stalls when going to cut.....

Was the stored gas, everything............. cars, lawnmower, weedeater(4cycle) , generator, compressor, welder all runs fine......But the Stihl chainsaw and also a poulan chainsaw all had the same issues ........Fresh fuel cured the issues..........

Apparently the octane degrades enough in storage to affect the gasoline when mixed with oil it becomes useless.........

Thoughts............

you can get fuel additive to help it run or get a can of ether your 2 cycle motors will run fine once they run for a little they have to be warmed up some it allows the choke to open up. my boat motor runs like crap for a little while till it gets warmed up its because carbuerated motors aren't really meant for ethanol especially older models. but once you get em going they will be just fine. ether is a miracle worker for all motors just spray a couple of squirts to get it going don't soak it it will eat away at your gaskets this will allow the carburetion process to start with the air pulling across the fuel nozzle.

Your right Tom Ether will help get things running. You do need to be careful using it, espically with Diesils. The high compression ratio's they run will come apart if you use too much. Saw a motor that had happened to in a big truck. It wasn't pretty, 3 pistons were in tiny pieces. Heads were in really bad shape.
    I use either to start my old Duetz in the winter, but it gets no more than 1 or maybe two short blast. Starts every time and doesn't need any more.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

A safer starting fluid for any engine is carb cleaner.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

For the Love of Cats

A good additive, is SEAFOAM. That is what I use for all my fuels.

Trouble, how about getting a couple bottles of octane boost? Try a bit in that 'bad' gas, and see if that is the problem. if it is then you could add it to your stores
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

I have to quit using my chain saw as a brush trimmer. I've gotten my leg underneath the blade and torn up my pants twice now. Both times scared the crap out of me.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

For the Love of Cats

^
    probably a good plan! Chainsaw bites are typically not very nice!
    not enough can be said about the value of one of these:

Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

You just gave me a thought sniper. That blade might be the trick for cutting the wheat stalks down.