Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw Primer

This has been a great thread. I have been on this forum for about a year, give or take and never read it before. Some excellent points. I am on my second chainsaw. My first one was a Poulan that lasted for about 30 hours of operation. My current saw is an Echo and has been great!

As someone pointed out, keep quality bar oil in your saw.

Another point, don't let the chain hit dirt while running unless you really want to dull the cutting edges.

Do you have a robot?
    A Ditch Witch works better if you are digging trenches, its hard on the old chainsaw.........
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

For the Love of Cats

I could put this into the gear review thread, but considering it is a Canadian brand, it would be useless to most people here...

I assembled the chainsaw on a stick I bought a couple years ago, and trimmed some branches/trees around the house/garage. For a little machine, I am amazed at the oomph it has. cut 6" green poplar like nothing. And without a ladder useful to about 12' high.

This one:

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Since we are into the winter season and storms of various kinds will soon be ravaging us, I thought I would give a little bump to the thread.

One item I have found very useful for trimming the trees on my property is a smaller saw on a pole that extends to 8 feet. Mine is made by RYOBI and is powered by by electric so it has limitations if your power goes south. We even used that saw late Sunday evening when we brought a farm fresh Christmas tree into the house. Even though the tree had been cut at the farm just a few hours prior, the stump was closing up with sap. The electric saw is very quiet and at 9 in the evening did not disturb the entire neighborhood.

I'll most likely shit myself

Good point SoCal. Along the same lines, I have a fiberglass pole that accepts different attachments, hoes, rakes, saw blade. The saw blade is a pretty aggressive pruning saw. Works well for pruning and cutting small trees. I have some Bradford pears along my driveway that needs limbs cut back from time to time. I've cut up to 5" diameter with it and does just fine. The pole is 6' long.

For the Love of Cats

As an additional bump... with my messed up shoulder, I restrained from using my 16" Pro-grade stihl for most of the fall, and used my 'saw on a stick'... without the stick for most of my cutting. It has an 8" bar, and I used it to take down, and buck up everything up to 14" trees. Dozens of them. I was amazed at what that little saw could do... and the best part, is that it is so small and lite, I could easily use it one handed, and it was easy on my shoulder!

In a nutshell... keep your needs and your wants realistic! My Stihl certainly has its place, but as I just learned, so does my little electric. I am going to look for a small, but powerful gas saw to round out my complement. perhaps a 10"
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

finally pooped
    Oh! Not implying that anyone is elderly or infirm but stihl has this new type of start mechanism on some of their power equipment. Relies on you pulling the cord as gentle as you want to wind the spring, then when it gets to enough tension it lets it loose for a no jerking pull start. Just got one for my dad. He tore his rotator cuff and I picked him up their weed eater and chainsaw with that type of start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

Do you have a robot?
    Ah but we are elderly and infirmed......... Sounds like it would be nice to have. My next purchase is a power pole saw, saves working off a ladder.
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    Ah but we are elderly and infirmed......... Sounds like it would be nice to have. My next purchase is a power pole saw, saves working off a ladder.
    Nothing like working on a ladder with a chain saw! A few years ago I was on the ladder with the chainsaw, trimming one of the trees in my yard when I had a kickback that threw me off balance. So, down I fall, down comes the ladder and the saw still running comes down just about a foot away from me. Can you guess why I bought that electric saw on a pole?

finally pooped
    So to those of you who frequently use chainsaws, do you use the standard non kickback chains our do you swap them out for the traditional ones?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes