Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw Primer

Original Shack Daddy

Chainsaw Primer

One of the tools that can best see you through calamity is the chainsaw.

No matter if you live in the countryside or the burbs, whether the situation is epic failure or localized in nature, one of the most important tools in your collection is a chainsaw.

It will allow you to provide the most basic rudimentary necessities of light, heat, and basis of cooking.

I know that such can be acquired through the use of manual implements, but the chainsaw will accomplish such needs far outpacing manual implements by economy and quantity.

Even though the possibility of replenishing expendables needed to maintain and operate the chainsaw are low, the initial yield performed by such an implement far outpaces the the work of five individuals using manual implements. Better to use the chainsaw with resources available, than to start off cold with manual tools.

A chainsaw not only provides the means to provide quantity in heating and cooking resources, it also allows for the facilitation of transportation in the time of localized or permanent disaster. It allows for the continuation of egress, in the times of natural or man-made obstacles, to swiftly facilitate extraction from a potential danger zone. A single tree can cause life threatening delay in route of travel regardless of cause.

A chainsaw is also EMP proof. It will work when everything else fails. There will be plenty of time to use manual tools once fuel and lubricants are exhausted. The chainsaw will provide the base in which you can build from, circumstances providing.

Original Shack Daddy

A chainsaw is an automated device that replaces the labor of many person's manual labor and allows the solitary individual to accomplish the same tasks, ultimately with the same level, or better efficiency.

Such a device allowed me to harvest trees for heating purpose in the time of three weeks during the summer months for the purpose of heating a cabin continuously over an extended period from late September to early June. Production only occurred during a narrow window from 7AM to 12PM. The rest of the day was devoted to other endeavors, and recreation. The total end product was approximately 20-25 cords of wood. It is still unnecessary to seek more resources to compliment existing stocks.

Imagine in an environment that prevents a person from furthering such gleaning of resources, whether it be the inclement weather, the possibility of temporary civil strife, or the discontinuation of availability of consumables (fuel and oil) for the tool are present. Say the task of replenishing your stocks of wood is not feasible due to the incidents around you prohibit from leaving your bastion of security and supplies in fear of losing both. A well put in base of heating source will mitigate the negative effects of your surroundings regardless of the current social climate or weather.

It is better to have and not need, than to need and not have. As in storing food to negotiate an uncertain future, storing renewable resources for heat and alternative cooking source alleviates the mental strain involved in acquiring necessities to further profitable existence. One less worry or task, no matter how ancillary, enables one to focus more clearly on the events at hand, and the tasks that are immediately dire.

Original Shack Daddy

A chainsaw is a tool, and like any other tool must be learned for it to be used properly and efficiently. The object is to achieve more than you would normally do so under manual power.

A chainsaw is comprised of many parts:

The powerhead......is the motor that drives the device, and the part in which the operator manipulates to perform the task.

The bar.......is the part in which allows the chain revolves to manipulate the object being cut.

The chain.....the actual implement that contacts the media being manipulated.

Each of these systems work in concert to facilitate the desired action of cutting. Any one part that is not operating to desired effect, will inhibit the other two in producing desired results.

Original Shack Daddy

So, now to choose a chainsaw. Like firearms, everyone has their preferences. I recommend either Stihl or Husquavarna. You cannot go wrong with either brands.

You've bought a chainsaw, are you now good to go?

Not quite. You also have to buy accessories to keep it going and maintained.

You will need 2 stroke oil to mix with gasoline.

Bar/chain oil to keep the chain lubricated. A reservoir in the powerhead automatically injects oil onto the chain while in operation.

Spare spark-plugs.

A specific container to hold your gas/2 stroke mix and your bar oil. It is called a Dolmar. The large compartment is for the fuel mix and the small for the bar oil. It is handy to pack while out cutting, and prevents confusing a conventional gas container with straight fuel, with that of mixed fuel. This container will provide more than enough fuel and lubricant for a day's work with one saw. The fuel side is 1-1/2 gal and requires on 4 fl oz 2-stroke oil. The bar oil side is approximately a little over a quart.

The scrench. A combination wrench and screw driver that facilitates most maintenance operations on the saw. The wrench part loosens and tightens the bar nuts in order to replace dull or exhausted chains. It also is used in removing the spark plug. The screw driver part adjusts chain tension, removes the air filter cap, and can adjust the fuel flow.

Last edited by chicom; 03-04-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Threads like this are exactly what we had in mind when crafting the mission of the website. There are plenty of places on the web to jerkoff over Mad-Max fantasies or UN invasions.

We wanted this site to be focused on actual technical conversations about the universe of subjects related to prepping. This is fantastic stuff and thanks for posting.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Yes, this is great information.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Chicom, if you weren't planning on it already, can you comment on proper use/techniques (when you have time)?

I imagine it's a whole different ballgame to spend 5 hours a day doing it versus when I go out in the backyard to deal with a fallen treelimb.

You've also hit on something very critical here: we only have so many hours and so much energy. We have to chose how we expend them wisely and use tools that can maximize the results of the labor.

I'll most likely shit myself

First post on this forum. If this site has topics discussed as in-depth as this I am proud to be a new member.
    Chicom, great breakdown on chainsaws. One short bit I would add, make sure you have plenty of spares on hand, extra oil for the mix and bar, spare bars, chains, spark plugs, filter's, etc. Proper chain sharpening equipment can be critical as well.
    Funny that you mentioned the Scrench, I would suggest having 3-4 of them around. I went out to cut some trees a few weeks back and needed to adjust the chain tension and found I have misplaced the Scrench. I will have spars for it.

Original Shack Daddy

Thanks gang.

Bacpacker, you're absolutely correct. Spare parts are critical in keeping the machine working. You just beat me to the punch.

Spare:

Chain, bar-nuts, spark-plugs, air-filter wraps, and those little c-clips on the drive gear, and files to keep your chains sharp for maximum efficiency and service life.

Files are made for specific style and size of chain. It is not a one size fits all kind of deal.

The air filter as how it fits on the powerhead.

The filter wrap is a removable, cleanable band that fits over the filter. I usually clean mine in diesel.

Next post we will get into tree identification and potential hazards, directional falling, and proper techniques in safely bringing down a tree.

I'll most likely shit myself

Sorry to steal your thunder Chicom A couple things you mentioned I din't think about, The bars nuts and clips. Totally forgot them.