Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Scavenging for supplies

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Most sheeple wont walk more than 2 or 3 miles, after that there cigarette lungs will give out and they likely wont go further. Seriously. That should reduce your threat level by 30%-40% I would think...

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Exactly. And in a SHTF situation I will have so many booby traps around my house it will be insane. I will also have the road blocked 3 miles from my house. I can promise these woods are so thick, everyone but the most dedicated will give up. Tracking deer I have to crawl through most of the tracking.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I have to agree with Helo here. This thread is titled "scavenging for supplies". Scavengers feed from the deaths of others. They usually don't cause the deaths, but find a way to live from others losses. I feel as a scavenger, taking something is not stealing. I am not taking something from someone who is alive, and may only stay alive with that item. I am taking an item from someone who once owned it, but who's death has left it for others to have. And as a scavenger, I am wise enough to understand while I have this item, it is mine. But upon my untimely death from choking on an expired SlimJim, this item is soon to be the property of the next one to step over my dead body. Circle of life, my friends...circle of life!

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    Most people, especially city people will not head out into the woods. At least none I have ever met. They are like cattle and will stick to paths. Maybe a few will make it, but not any large numbers. It is actually well over 60 miles in a straight line. They would have to cross lakes and rivers to get to my place from the interstate. Again large crowds will not walk down hundreds of miles of dirt roads most of which are dead ends. We may have a few stragglers stumble upon our place, but no large numbers.

Also you are talking about 247 miles between Houston and Dallas, the two cities closest to me. The closest is a 2 hour drive on a great day. Do you realize how many places there are for people to wander around. The odds of any of those folks ever getting to my place is like winning the lotto. The closest town to me is 7k people and very few of them even know there is a house where I live.

nobody is talking about YOUR individual situation .... you can live in FT Knox for all I care ... but if you think even the stupidest naive shepple are going to sit on the interstate until they starve to death or freeze up solid is just being ignorant .... everyday in this country there's interstate pile ups and you can watch drivers take alternative action .... just because people don't prep and aren't prepper equipped - doesn't mean they aren't intelligent, crafty, inventive, and very prepared physically .... there's going to be sheeple still humming along loooooong after the best prepared preppers are down & out ....

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Dome has one of the best replies so far IMHO.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    nobody is talking about YOUR individual situation .... you can live in FT Knox for all I care ... but if you think even the stupidest naive shepple are going to sit on the interstate until they starve to death or freeze up solid is just being ignorant .... everyday in this country there's interstate pile ups and you can watch drivers take alternative action .... just because people don't prep and aren't prepper equipped - doesn't mean they aren't intelligent, crafty, inventive, and very prepared physically .... there's going to be sheeple still humming along loooooong after the best prepared preppers are down & out ....
    I never freaking said they would sit on the interstate. I said they won't head off into the freaking woods, and I am right. They will stick to the roads, very few will wonder more than 100 yards are so from established roads.

They will head up the interstate till the next exit, then wonder around those areas. I have been in many evacuations with the interstate clogged up, and never have I seen anyone head off into the woods. They will sit by there car for a very long time before they even begin to try something else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    What you need to realize is that there's not going to be many "out of the way" places to begin - when it comes to a serious SHTF .... people are going to run into jammed/closed interstates & state highways and start fanning out like army ants across the countryside - driving & hiking ....

This is your post, and I say you are wrong. Very few will head off into the woods, they will stay within sight of major roads and hwys. I don't know what the area is where you are, but here there are many many out of the way things, that even locals know nothing about. If people had to walk they would never see most of the area.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

"everyday in this country there's interstate pile ups and you can watch drivers take alternative action .... just because people don't prep and aren't prepper equipped - doesn't mean they aren't intelligent, crafty, inventive, and very prepared physically .... there's going to be sheeple still humming along loooooong after the best prepared preppers are down & out"...

Sheeple can today take alternative actions is something is wrong...true. But it's because 'nothing' is wrong. What's Buffy going to do when she can't pick up her Peaches, her poodle baby, because she can't get through the traffic jam caused by a wreck, and the police arent going to show up as over 1/2 of the police have walked off to be with their family's. What about Biff, who stopped into Starbucks and can't leave due to the tire iron in his radiator, and it looks like AAA isn't coming. Your assumption is, as I think you stated, the government or FEMA is going to help them. This may happen if something small scale occurs. Then our 'scavenger' scenario doesn't apply. But if Walmart stops getting food daily, they are going to sit in their homes and wait for the next Walmart truck...which in this scenario isn't happening. Once the cubbards are bare, then they will look for food. By then, it will be too late. Most won't last a week due to ignorance, and some at the hands of their buddy's. Biff will snap Buffy's neck just so he can eat her poodle. Survival of the fittest...and they won't be the fittest.

For the Love of Cats

snap the poodles neck and eat buffy?
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    snap the poodles neck and eat buffy?
    Apparently you have some unresolved issues. Did a poodle bite you when you were a child? Could you tell me how it made you feel?

For the Love of Cats

no poodle, but buffy nibbled a little!

I encouraged it a little...
    and then a lot!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.