Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Scavenging for supplies

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    at a self storage place, I'd be more worried running into someone like myself picking up my RV or stored camping gear .... especially if my gear was in your truck ....

- - - Updated - - -

they'll be refugee centers .... same thing with the public buildings that aren't being used as command & control .... that's why you have an area previously scoped out - places to avoid
    By churches, I was mostly speaking of the smaller, out of the way churches we have here in the south. You can't swing a dead possum around here without hitting one. I can think of 5-6 within a few hours walking distance of my home, and I live in the middle of nowhere. I agree, larger places of worship would definately be a no-no

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Domeguy View Post
    By churches, I was mostly speaking of the smaller, out of the way churches we have here in the south. You can't swing a dead possum around here without hitting one. I can think of 5-6 within a few hours walking distance of my home, and I live in the middle of nowhere. I agree, larger places of worship would definately be a no-no
    If word gets out of looting any place of worship, large or small, the perps will be extremely lucky only to be hung. There are absolutes, even in post SHTF scenarios, lines that are NOT crossed, and raiding a church is one. If you'll pardon my candor, and even if you won't, such conduct is probably one of the matches which will help IGNITE a SHTF.

Given the large number of churches in the area, seems to me it might be actually a damn smart piece of prep to go talk with them now and develop SHTF plans, if they don't already have them.

I can speak to this all rather neutrally, as I'm relatively surely damned, but not so much, though, that I need to see places of faith torn apart from greed or vengeance in an aftermath.

For the Love of Cats

meh!
    A major church (RC) that I frequented in Toronto, had frequent breakins. none were ever reported. "God will judge thee"...
    SHTF may be different, but I wouldn't want to test it!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I can say if I am hungry no place is off limits.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I thought this be taboo for some, as I mentioned. But when I wrote it, I was speaking of the small southern churches you find in the south, which are everywhere. And I didn't mean the very first day. I was thinking for scavenging, which means to me, when the worst of what ever the situation is, is over, and most of the sheeple have died off without Walmart there 24 hrs. a day. I think by then, it's fair game.

Quote Originally Posted by Domeguy View Post

What you need to realize is that there's not going to be many "out of the way" places to begin - when it comes to a serious SHTF .... people are going to run into jammed/closed interstates & state highways and start fanning out like army ants across the countryside - driving & hiking .... a 30+ gpm car with 5 gallons of gas in the tank will get some of these refugee types into the middle of nowhere on county gravels ....

you also have the FEMA factor ..... if you read the command level info you can see how an evacuation of a urban area could effect you .... you could very well get a busload of Section 8 housing residents dumped on your "out of the way" town .... possibly even a horde coming from a FEMA shelter that was established in your area and then abandoned ....

What you need to realize is that there's not going to be many "out of the way" places to begin - when it comes to a serious SHTF .... people are going to run into jammed/closed interstates & state highways and start fanning out like army ants across the countryside - driving & hiking ....
    I disagree with this completely. Yes there will be lots of people stranded, but very few will get very far from a major hwy. Even fewer will just start walking down empty dirt roads or through the woods. I am a hour away from any interstate, and 4 miles off of any road that is not a dead end.

Here we have way more dirt roads than paved roads, and very few aren't dead ends.

Quote Originally Posted by helomech View Post
    I disagree with this completely. Yes there will be lots of people stranded, but very few will get very far from a major hwy. Even fewer will just start walking down empty dirt roads or through the woods. I am a hour away from any interstate, and 4 miles off of any road that is not a dead end.

Here we have way more dirt roads than paved roads, and very few aren't dead ends.

???? .... why? .... you think they'll just camp out along the interstates forever? .... you ever hear of the "interstate collision theory"? .... goes back to the nuk SHTF days of the 80s .... the interstates run between two major cities - a stream of refugees leave City#1 for City#2 - likewise refugees leave City#2 for #1 ..... they meet halfway and either realize the futility or there's roadblocks creating a mid-city nitemare .... almost every exit on that interstate will experience the refugee spill out .... people will start their alternative drive and the unlucky will begin a hike to the nearest town down that exit road ....

if you think basically 60 miles off an interstate is an insurmountable journey - you better re-evaluate your planning .... the true survivors among those hikers will eat the weak along the way and arrive as one mean hungry SOBing raider ....

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    I think Helo is pretty much set up to avoid any city exodus, which is good..

Churches: If they had large stores of food, yeah.. Id give it a thought, but Ive never been in a church that kept much of (survival) value... Personally, I would just go past a church.

Log what you know is where... If a stop & rob that is out of the way has a propane refill center, mark it on a map with a number, note on a sheet what it is. Were not talking about ROBBING were talking about life and death, and there is such a thing as survival of the fittest... those that fail to plan, plan to fail.. and theres a whole lot of truth to that.

But lets back it up a bit, if your not ALREADY prepared for some type of emergency... shame on you. You already know better and should be setting back as you go.

For me, $$$ is so damn tight with extortion style health insurance premiums (over $800 a month), after all the other deductions and taxes Ive got less than $400 a week TAKE HOME pay, and thats *IF* I work 6 hours over time on Saturday.

I know I need to prep, I know I need to set goods back, I just dont have the money.... IE: Living check to check.

So, there it is... Im one of the crowd that because of situation MAY have to scavenge, and honestlly I do not want to.

But do not be mistaken, and heed the call, a hungry man will do ANYTHING for food.. You may have to risk your life defending a single can of Speghetti-Os and I dont say that lightly and I dont say it with an ounce of humor. Keep that in the back of your mind. The lesson in that statement is (1) You dont want to be that desperate guy (2) desperate people will do anything they need to get what they need, humanity, morals and ethics will be put aside for that period of time... Be prepared.

I am a BIG beans & bullets guy... Bullets to defend the beans, stores without means and ability to defend and protect as as good as never having them.

Solar collectors, ham radios, generators, etc.. is ALL LUXURY. If your not prepared to be happy running off a kerosene lantern and eat out of the garden most of the time NOW, how are you going to do it 6 or 9 months from now when your out of all your propane and gasoline and batteries?

Better learn to fish & hunt while your at it... Food World is going to be a ghost town. Even with the skills, you will NOT always come home with meat, actually... you will likely SELDOM come home with meat, but without the skills to hunt/fish and the ability to PROCESS your game into food... Well, I hope you like chewing on tree bark.

I may post more later, but that should cover the core basis for now...

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

???? .... why? .... you think they'll just camp out along the interstates forever? .... you ever hear of the "interstate collision theory"? .... goes back to the nuk SHTF days of the 80s .... the interstates run between two major cities - a stream of refugees leave City#1 for City#2 - likewise refugees leave City#2 for #1 ..... they meet halfway and either realize the futility or there's roadblocks creating a mid-city nitemare .... almost every exit on that interstate will experience the refugee spill out .... people will start their alternative drive and the unlucky will begin a hike to the nearest town down that exit road ....

if you think basically 60 miles off an interstate is an insurmountable journey - you better re-evaluate your planning .... the true survivors among those hikers will eat the weak along the way and arrive as one mean hungry SOBing raider ....
    Most people, especially city people will not head out into the woods. At least none I have ever met. They are like cattle and will stick to paths. Maybe a few will make it, but not any large numbers. It is actually well over 60 miles in a straight line. They would have to cross lakes and rivers to get to my place from the interstate. Again large crowds will not walk down hundreds of miles of dirt roads most of which are dead ends. We may have a few stragglers stumble upon our place, but no large numbers.

Also you are talking about 247 miles between Houston and Dallas, the two cities closest to me. The closest is a 2 hour drive on a great day. Do you realize how many places there are for people to wander around. The odds of any of those folks ever getting to my place is like winning the lotto. The closest town to me is 7k people and very few of them even know there is a house where I live.