Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Scavenging for supplies

Walking on Sunshine

That's why I'm going for the solar shingles, at first glance they look like regular shingles and won't call attention to us. I am also looking at a company here that does portable solar for the military. Supposedly they can power a lot and be able to move the generator/converter when and wherever ever they want. I also want to put up a flagpole that doubles as a wind turbine, just have to check township regulations on that to make sure I can go up high enough and get the funds to do it

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    I haven't heard much about solar shingles in the last decade or so. In the past, they had gotten very poor marks, and to be honest, I don't remember why. They were a good idea at the time, but for some reason, they didn't work well. I hope the new company you are looking into has perfected them, just try and ask a ton of questions on how they have made them better. Don't mean to be bossy, I just don't want to see someone get burned by a company making big promises they may not be able to back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    MAG: Mutual Assistance Group

A group of people coming together for a common goal, or common good. 'Defence' is just one aspect... IMO.

Assistance is a good "A" for the acronym also ... some MAGs like to keep it on the pure defensive side and make it plan & simple .... unfortunately one of the usual drawbacks is the organization .... not always cleanly detailed on the fine points - too many meetings around the community bonfire after toooo many beers ...

I would plan on hitting up the self storage facilities around me. We have several, and none have 24/7 employees. If I'm desperate enough to open someone's locker, I'm not really worried about cameras. While I am at it, the U-haul self storage has a giant propane tank for refills, and lots of trucks and trailers to help me get it home. I plan on leaving my credit card to pay for it all.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Domeguy
    And finally, this may be taboo for some, but there are churches, synagogues, temples, ect. everywhere, and they may be full of supplies. You may want to say a short prayer first before you kick in the door.
    um... "MAY be taboo"?

Religious locales will be among the softest of targets for the mobs, and for the least amount of supplies. Torn up within days for the precious metals, candles,
    and anything they can use to start a fire elsewhere.

Have to admit, this is one of the most uncomfortable replies.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by msomnipotent
    I would plan on hitting up the self storage facilities around me. We have several, and none have 24/7 employees. If I'm desperate enough to open someone's locker, I'm not really worried about cameras. While I am at it, the U-haul self storage has a giant propane tank for refills, and lots of trucks and trailers to help me get it home. I plan on leaving my credit card to pay for it all.
    IF SHTF is set off by a money collapse, such plastic irony would be thundering.

Car lots are difficult if not impossible to defend against looters or rioters. U-haul or Penske or any open marshalling yard, too. I've noted UPS and FedEx have walled yards, by and large. The most impervious yards out here are the cab company yards, for fear some gang-banger they have long-hauled may come back with a krewe, and address their billing tactics with sledges and bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Kesephist View Post
    IF SHTF is set off by a money collapse, such plastic irony would be thundering.

Car lots are difficult if not impossible to defend against looters or rioters. U-haul or Penske or any open marshalling yard, too. I've noted UPS and FedEx have walled yards, by and large. The most impervious yards out here are the cab company yards, for fear some gang-banger they have long-hauled may come back with a krewe, and address their billing tactics with sledges and bats.

at a self storage place, I'd be more worried running into someone like myself picking up my RV or stored camping gear .... especially if my gear was in your truck ....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kesephist View Post
    um... "MAY be taboo"?

Religious locales will be among the softest of targets for the mobs, and for the least amount of supplies. Torn up within days for the precious metals, candles,
    and anything they can use to start a fire elsewhere.

Have to admit, this is one of the most uncomfortable replies.

they'll be refugee centers .... same thing with the public buildings that aren't being used as command & control .... that's why you have an area previously scoped out - places to avoid

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Scoped out... places to avoid... supplies and locations. Needs to be implemented into some kind of plan. When an event happens, the fam can open the plan book and know what to do, because fear and adrenalin can mess up a persons memory!!
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo
    Scoped out... places to avoid... supplies and locations. Needs to be implemented into some kind of plan. When an event happens, the fam can open the plan book and know what to do, because fear and adrenalin can mess up a persons memory!!
    A plan book written up BY HAND... or at most, typed or printed up with an air-gapped, non-wifi system. Sorry, sorry Nephew Norbert, you don't get a free line into prepper bug out plans on THIS one either. Si***rf****r.

I'd say every month do updates with the whole family, burn and flush changed sections, and keep it somewhere in the home -20, secure but easy to get to if you know what you're after.

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Hand written, book in a secure place... cant agree more.

Also, should have designated mail drops... in the event you need to get a message to someone when your separated, it would be critical!

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"