Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another reason for hyper vigilance re: privacy

Another reason for hyper vigilance re: privacy

Just wanted to share a recent experience.

My wife and I have iPhones (currently version 6). The lady is very paranoid and other than Internet connection for browsing she really isn't connected to the outside. No Instagram, FB, no iCloud, doesn't share or text pictures, clears and pics she has after transferring to an external hard drive. No location services, doesn't use maps, her apps do not have access to phone at all. She also makes sure all privacy, cookies and all that jazz are locked down.

With a recent upgrade to the iOS, magically, a bunch of pictures appeared on her phone. These are pics from 2009 and 2010. At first thought one might think 'ok, phantom data stored on the phone re-appears after updates.' Which would be understandable except since 2010 she has switched phones numerous times (and upgraded versions). There should be no way that data could be transferred from phone to phone unless it is all kept In apple data bank. Even unshared, unlisted pictures.

Remember this when you harmlessly take a pic of your old lady when she gets out of the shower and immediately delete it when she hits you with the plunger.

Incident #2. I am not as vigilant about my security. I have some settings in place, but employ the connectivity aspects of the phone to its maximum so as to utilize it's productivity capabilities. I entered a simple appointment into my calendar "Bella's vet appointment at machray, 1 pm sept 26." When the notification came up it told me how long it would take me to drive there with current traffic conditions." Not cool. Way too easily tracked. It's a trade off for productivity, but one I will need to re-evaluate.

Third incident, and one that sketched me out more than the pictures.... After the update a feature called find my friends was loaded on my phone. I turned it all off and locked out data for it, etc. I don't want to find them, nor do I want them to find me. When I checked my data card on the feature it had listed two interesting things: WIFE: (wife's name), and SON (A nickname I use for my son). In my contacts nowhere does it list the relationship these two people have to me. I do not text my boy saying "son, (nickname) make sure you take out the garbage" nor do I address my wife in that manner.

We know there is data mining going on. It's not a secret. We know that we have 'security' features that we must employ, as well as opsec, however more and more it becomes apparent that even the most vigilant will be on the failing end of privacy.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    A lot if phone apps have access to nearly everything on your phone, and permission to modify damn near everything. They can keep your phone on, turn it on, etc.
    You give it permission when you accept the terms of service.
    Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers.
    Liberty is a Man-Of-War, and we are all crew.

Walking on Sunshine

Guess that's why I don't have or want a "smart" phone. Nieces and nephews all ragged on me at Family reunion when I pulled out my OLD flip phone. Son two said he had emails on the phone he just got that were from 2009. His brother included them on his plan so they could save money. Kinda freaked him out that all of the stuff he thought he had deleted/erased showed up on the new phone. All I want is a phone that I can call out on and receive calls with maybe call waiting and voice mail. I don't need all the other garbage on a phone.

Have you ever noticed that when you install an app on any smart phone it tells you it wants access to things like your contacts, location, etc.? Most people just click ok and install. My apps do NOT NEED access to my contacts.

I agree SoCalman

I have still yet to grow a brain
    It is really frustrating but really convenient. I have programmed my iPhone5 to alert me when I am leaving my house so I can message starting mileage to my wife as well as arriving. When she is in the vehicle with me it catches her off guard when it says Departing mssg mileage.

I am trying to still be in control of most things myself since I don't want to have it as a crutch.

For the Love of Cats

Yet another reason why I carry an old flip phone.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Do you have a robot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
    Have you ever noticed that when you install an app on any smart phone it tells you it wants access to things like your contacts, location, etc.? Most people just click ok and install. My apps do NOT NEED access to my contacts.
    The only time an app needs my location is Google Maps. As for the others wanting my contact no chance. I am quite sure none of my contacts need any more spam than they are already getting..........
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    A friend of mine told me this week her smart phone was in another room when her husband had asked her if she has seen the viral video from several months to a year ago of a cat chasing away a mean dog from a child? She told him no, and later when she picked up her phone, Facebook was suggesting it as a video for her to watch. And another time she was talking to a friend about a Harry Potter tattoo she had seen, again while her phone was in another room. Later when she picked up her phone, Harry Potter tattoos were suggested. Someone is out there listening!

Walking on Sunshine

Dome, that's kinda scary freaky. Guess I'm gonna have to insist everyone leaves their phones in their cars when they get here for Christmas this year.