Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clotting Agents

finally pooped

Clotting Agents

I know that everyone is currently obsessed with Quikclot but it MUST be removed very thoroughly before allowing the wound to seal. It is pretty much just clay and must be scrubbed out thoroughly.

I had read about an item that was similar, in granule form that you only needed to remove the majority of it. It worked to remove the water in the blood and make it solid, causing it to clot much faster. Since it is naturally antiseptic, the wound doesn't need to be cleaned thoroughly and your body naturally processes out any of it that is left in the wound.

Has anyone heard of this stuff before or know of an alternative that is naturally sterile that could be left in a wound and closed over? After dousing heavily with alcohol of course. I did a search but found nothing online.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Well, first off, most folks know that QuikClot has now moved to gauze form over granules, which is the latest accepted for of treatment for wounds. Much easier to remove gauze than the granules, they moved to this about 3 years ago. The main issue they was having during combat missions with the QK before was in granule mode, there was issues with spill granules flying around when the helo came in for landings. Since its a thermobaric reaction, (when combined with any fluids, burns/cauterizes) warfighters were getting this stuff in the eyes and messing them up. It was easier to convert to quikclot impregnanted gauze to eliminate the granule issue.
    The latest and greatest variant of granule you are probaby talking about is Celox, same thing, just not as harsh of a thermobaric reaction there isnt as much of a user penalty associated with using it. Myself, I carry all of them in my blowout kits.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

finally pooped
    I know they switched off from granules. The wound still has to be cleaned really really well before sealing though.

Can your body process out and small amounts of celox left in the wound?

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    The wound would need to be thoroughly cleaned out before any sealing would happen. That would include any type of foreign substance. Most times the quikclot or celox would be removed surgically because of what it is.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

For the Love of Cats

Sounds like some pretty nasty stuff!

better than the alternative though...
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

finally pooped
    true but i was reading on celox that you can keep it packed until it starts to heal and just let it heal as an open wound, so long as you pack it. removal of it is just water. vs scrubbing out the quikclot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

For the Love of Cats

I have always been old school... cauterize a nasty wound with fire.... what are your referencesÉ
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

finally pooped
    the celox homepage faq. it's not really widely used yet so not much real experience from people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    Welcome to the internet.
    One of us types in our heart and soul, and then puts it up for the world.
    Then, the rest get to interpret it.
    It is literal, or figurative?
    Sad, or happy?
    Angry, or calm?
    Just black and white words on a screen.
    Not like a conversation in person, with facial expressions, body language, tone of voice.

Still, we here pretty much slide along without issues.
    Imagine how well we could get along in person.

Or, we would just think each other is a bunch of assholes

Only use the Celox or QuickClot impregnated gauze. I also will use the North American Rescue store brand of the same.

The gauze is removable just like any wound packed with gauze, only with rapid gauze packing ability thanks to the Hemostatic.

Avoid any granule useage at all costs.

Please obtain TCCC/TECC training.

North American Rescue does this, Dark Angel Medical is one of the best especially for a CONUS CCW/LEO perspective, also some local EMS providers will teach it.

They will cover the correct way and use of medical aids.
    Last edited by bourneshooter; 10-04-2014 at 06:04 PM. Reason: finish post

finally pooped
    I appreciate your assumption that I have no idea how to use clotting agents. I have however already attended first responder, emergency combat medic and advanced trauma classes. They cover Quikclot in gauze form.

My original post was to see if anyone knew what the different type was called. Answered=Celox.

Afterwards it continued in the removal of it and how in depth you needed to be. This is a SHTF forum. I don't count on having any medical assistance for removal. Thus the classes and digging for information. I want someone who has REAL world experience with it. Hearing what everyone says about it is nice but unless it's been used we personally have no idea. I have had to use Quikclot personally and the removal almost made me wish I had never used it. That's why I am looking at alternatives.

I disagree with your statement about never using the granules. Granule form with these is as effective if not more than the gauze due to the ability to insert it into a wound without causing increased trauma. The reason it was discontinued with Quikclot is because of the thermobaric effect and wind blowing it in soldier's eyes due to carelessness/needed speed.