Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What if...

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    ETA: I remember what movie "Shall we play a game?" came from.
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

For the Love of Cats

^
    atta kid!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

These grey hairs aint here for nuthin! There a sign of age... and wisdom!

By the way (boring part here), when that movie came out my friend and I were DEEP into computers, and that was one of our "saucer eyes" movies we watched! We were connecting to BBSs via 1200bps modems and programming our Commodore 64s, we were both in AP Computer Science and were (still are?) a bit of a nerd. (Yeah, I was popular with the girls in school, NOT)

Therefore, I know most of the lines in the movie.

EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

For the Love of Cats

you had a 1200 modem? Wow! I envy you. I had a TRS-80 model 1 with a 300 on a party line. I was a geek-athlete, so I had the best of both worlds. lol

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post

Also, on the freezer and/or refrigerator: how much you have in it will also affect how long it stays cold. The food inside is a "thermal mass" that also holds temp, whether hot or cold. The more mass, the longer it holds, especially as air warms up rather quickly.
    Therefore, a full freezer will stay cold longer, all other things being equal, than a nearly empty one. Also, as you deplete the food inside, it will slowly warm up faster each time it is run to re-cool it.
    This also means that the rest of the time, when the lights are on, the freezer/refrigerator is more efficient when full or nearly so. It won't run nearly as often, all other things being equal, such as how often the door is opened, etc.
    further to this...If you are running your gen. intermittingly for your freezer, the best thing you can do is keep filling it as you empty it. Fill everything you have with water (potable or not - know what is what), and freeze blocks of ice.

1. you are keeping it full and therefore more efficient.
    2. You're storing water.

Win-Win

When I do an extended back country camping trip, I pack my meat cooler with dry ice, and 500ml bottles of frozen water. I only open the cooler every second day, and take out meat for two days, and exchange water bottles with the ones in my regular cooler. They re-freeze, and keep that cooler cold longer, and the fresh bottles keep the milk/drinks/produce cold longer in the other cooler.

It is the norm to load the truck after 12 days out, and have an ice cold beer!

Well, I was stating what I had and what I was doing in the period.. The 1200 modem and C64 were upgrades from my Vic 20 and 300bps modem!

To tell ya the truth, I felt like I had entered another galaxy when the 2400 speed came out, and 56k.. hang on and buckle up! HA HA!

TRS80 is what we had a school, they were rock solid systems. Mono and no sound made them less glamorous.... Commodore took the scene by storm, I still think its a crying shame they are no more!

EB
    "AR - America's Rifle"

For the Love of Cats

I have to agree about the commies... they rocked!

As to the trash-80...
    Remember a game called "DeMaze" also known as Death Maze 2000...
    "Turn, turn, turn"

looking at their tools while posting pictures of mine.
    about 20 minutes outside Lynchburg, TN...but which way...
    It too was tech savy at once upon a time. I used to know my way all around a Comadore 64. I remember using a cassette tape to install programs on, and printing out signs an our TI dot matrix printer, but somewhere technology bypassed me, and I am still struggling to catch up.

Do you have a robot?
    Commodores were too advanced, I had a Tandy....

That said back to the original thread. Like SoCal I look at earthquakes as the big problem brewing. When we had the Loma Pretta quake all the help went to the big cities while the other little ones saw assistance up to two weeks later. We have great contacts due to being involved in public safety which would allow us to get support. We have multiple buildings on the property which have been earthquake strengthened.

The other problem would be a major flood. However we are way above the 100 year flood. There are five different ways we can get out but I do not have any interest in leaving. We have wood and propane for cooking and heating. I have stored water along with a swimming pool for back up. Plus we have a well which can be run off the generator. We always have plenty of food on hand for at least 6 months before we get into our major stores.

Regarding generators we have a 4500 watt Honda which just keeps on running. I am looking at replacing it in the future with a pair of 3000 watt ones. The nice things about these it they can be linked together making them a 6000 watt system. Much better to have two then one These will be used up at my cabin up north.

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    ... I am looking at replacing it in the future with a pair of 3000 watt ones. The nice things about these it they can be linked together making them a 6000 watt system. Much better to have two then one These will be used up at my cabin up north.
    Got more info on this set up?