Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Physical Fitness

i pulled something in my back last night hurts alot but still working out and hey storm feather thanks for the idea of working out 2 minutes a hour doing push ups i been doing that everyday while i been bored at work

Crotch Rocket

Those same two minutes have bested and humbled me. So have the other 4 I thought would be a good idea for core work and lower body each hour...

I like it.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Crotch Rocket

Added 2 minutes of jumping rope to the hourly repertoire.

If I can decide upon one more thing to do I'll have the equivalent of two breaks and a lunch period spent exercising at work. Since I don't get those breaks its time well spent imo
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I decided to go on a three day fast this week anyone with tips let me know

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

Don't drink no coffee.
    Just because we are peaceful does not mean we have forgotten how to be violent.

late to this topic (jumping in on page 6) and didn't read the whole thing, so forgive any repetition.

2 major goals in this area. Losing fat, gaining endurance and/or muscle.

Losing fat:
    our body will burn fat for energy, but only if there's nothing easier for it to burn. If you have excess glucose in your system, your body will use that, and store fat. If you want to lose fat, step 1, cut back on sugar.

Gaining endurance/muscle:
    Accomplished by working the muscle. For cardio endurance, work your cardio system. Usually involves other muscle systems as well. Walk, run, bike... whatever.
    For gaining muscle, you need to lift weights. Those weights don't have to be on a rack. A bag of feed is a weight. Notice all the "crossfit" gyms popping up? They have stations like tire flipping, bag hauling, rock breaking (you swing a sledge into a tire). So don't pay for a gym, go work on your garden. Turn soil, shovel compost, drag brush. Look, your own cross-fit gym!!

tracking calories:
    important to know how much you eat, and what you eat. You should be eating 10-12 times your body weight in calories daily with exercise (generalization) in order to lose weight. Those calories should come from mostly vegetable sources, 20-30% of your calories from fat, 20-30% from protein, the rest from carbs with as little sugar as possible (fruits have fructose which is a sugar, fruits are good, but no more than 2 or 3 a day). If you eat too little, your body compensates by slowing down the rate at which it burns calories. Thus giving you less energy.

What I do:
    Breakfast is eggs and some kind of veg. Make eggs with peppers and spinach in them. (if you like peppers) Throw in some ham, sprinkle on some cheese (lightly).
    Morning snack is a protein shake (product I sell, I won't say more than that here, this is not a forum for selling that stuff).
    Lunch starts with a big salad with mushrooms, sometimes onion & peppers some ham or turkey on top, blue cheese crumbles and minimal blue cheese dressing. Toss in some tomato if you like.
    Afternoon snack is typically fruit. A big apple, or a bananna.
    Dinner is the big protein meal, I don't limit myself on what I eat for dinner usually, but try to avoid sugars.

That's 5 meals of 250-500 calories each (dinner is the big one) that usually brings me in around 1800-2000 calories a day.

Between yard work, playing with my kids, and going to a martial arts class with my daughter, I get plenty of cardio without looking for more.

Before I started I was 215 and pretty slow. Now I'm 182, still have a gut (I don't want a 6-pack), have more energy, can run 2 miles in a little less than 20min, and feel a lot better about myself than when I started.

Losing the weight isn't the hard part. The hard part is picking a plan you can stick to.

The word "diet" has come to mean a method of weight loss. It really means an eating plan. Pick an eating plan you can stick with. Add an exercise plan to it that you can do without hurting yourself, and that you won't hate (accidental exercise... something fun that just happens to be exercise).

Eat 4-6 small meals a day. If you're hungry, drink a big glass of water. If you're hungry 20min later, eat a snack.

Stick with it for 3 weeks. Studies have shown that's what it takes to form habits. If you're still fighting it after 4 weeks, pick something else, you won't be able to stick with what you started with.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Ok folks....I think I got the motivation I need to get back to the gym.

Did a 3 day precision shooting class. When we got into sitting unsupported shooting positions.......well....lets just say my "tactical shelf" made breathing damn near impossible. It sucked. I had to create my own version of the sitting position just to be able to breath. :/

I'm turning around and leaving for a few more days tomorrow for a work situation but I will be getting back into the gym routine starting June 4.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

i am down 10 lbs eating just fruits and veggies for 1 week so far

Crotch Rocket

I strained a tendon (I think) in my right leg and it brought almost all physical activity to a screeching halt last Thursday. It ran from just above my knee, down the inside of my calf, and ended after crossing the top of my foot. I couldn't even stretch or flex my ankle at first. I did some reading, and found that's a common injury for people who start "barefoot" running. I'm not doing that (yet), but the leg exercises I am doing would produce the same effect. I was pushing too hard.

It was straight up slip on dress shoes (for work) and sandals for a few days. It was hell trying to lace anything up properly, especially my boots.

Today is the best its felt since then, though still tender, so I figure I'll do an upper body workout Friday and see how it is the start of next week.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    common injury for people who start "barefoot" running. I'm not doing that (yet)
    It's a great training tool.

With your foot having a hard support, your toes all act together. Separated, they are forced to act individually. Usually this produces more range of motion and better strength in the foot and calf. But people have a tendency to do too much too soon when barefooting. you probably saw a reference to TMTS (too much too soon) in some of your reading about barefoot running.

I went barefoot for about 3 years working for dotcoms that didn't care. I avoid shoes when I can, my callouses are still pretty thick. But when i started running, I too fell to TMTS and couldn't walk right for a week or so.