Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Physical Fitness

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Physical Fitness

I got the bright idea in early 2010 to start working out and get in better physical shape. I figured getting winded walking to the mailbox wouldn't cut it if I was in a bad situation.

I started by doing pushups, crunches, curls, etc. Over time I got to where I could do a fair amount but it got boring. I stuck with it a lot longer than I thought I would, however.

I also started cutting back on what I was eating. I made zero effort to eat more healthy, I just cut back on the volume. The weight came off.

Like many people I got out of the rhythm over the holidays. Combined with the hectic nature of moving I really got out of the habit. So when I got down here I joined a gym to force myself to go. For now, it seems to be working.

My routine is nothing fancy. I do 3 or 4 machines, all focused on the upper body. Then I do 30 minutes of the stationary bike, typically at level 9 or 10.

I've been doing it for three weeks and the results are clearly noticeable, both in good an bad ways. Good in that my upper body is starting to look defined and gut is starting to disappear. Bad in that I must have tweaked something in my foot because suddenly I can't put any weight on my left foot/arch. Getting older sucks.

In any event, do you have a work out plan? Are you hardcore or just tinker with it? Are you happy with your physical fitness?

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Totally unhappy here. I am fat, out of shape and not doing anything to get better. I am so stressed right now that trying anything will end up in failure. I need to get better in my head first, then cut way down on my food intake. After that I may be able to get some exercise going.

I envy you at this point.

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

I've been trying to exercise and watch my food intake for the entirety of my life. I'll do good for a month or so then for whatever reason slip into my old eating habits again. The older i get the harder it gets to keep motivated. I think in a few months when it gets warm outside ill start walking the dogs every night. Grant it its not running on a treadmill or anything, but its better than nothing.

I found a good website where you can keep track of your food and calorie intake, Calorie Counter - Free Online Diet Journal. Its free and easy to use, i just started it so we'll see how it goes.

Premium Member

I must admit counting calories seems kind of girlie to me, but I checked out calorie counter that Kodiak spoke of and I can say that it works better than any thing else I've tried so far. Since Jan. 1st I've lost 30 pounds and have'nt really exercised at all. One day soon I'm gonna be a lean, mean, prepping machine.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I know Kodiak personally and have been doing the calorie thing myself. It does work with very little exercise, although, I am looking forward to it warming up due to having so many outside projects coming up. (I will post some pics very soon in other threads)--I will be using Kodiak this summer like he is my very own stepchild--lol.

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger80 View Post
    I must admit counting calories seems kind of girlie to me, but I checked out calorie counter that Kodiak spoke of and I can say that it works better than any thing else I've tried so far. Since Jan. 1st I've lost 30 pounds and have'nt really exercised at all. One day soon I'm gonna be a lean, mean, prepping machine.
    I am so dreaming of losing 30 pounds.

Crotch Rocket

I've really slacked off over this winter, since I'm adjusting to a new life and schedule, but I bought the Men's Health Hard Body Plan and was seeing some great results following that. I completely changed my diet, and broke parts on my cheap bicycle from riding it so much. My problem now is my fiance cooks too well for me to eat like I was, and since our schedules conflict I've been spending the time I was at the gym next to her

Staff

I can't seem to get back to good no matter hard I try(i don't really try). I did the southbeach diet for 6 weeks and lost an amazing 44lbs,came down with bronchitus,never went back on and gained 35 lbs back.sheesh,I mean I walk about 12 miles every day at work,eat 2 meals a day and smoke about 6 cigs aday. i can run about 300 yards before my heart will explode in my chest and I have an Anuerysm. Though for some strange reason I can still do a shitload of push-ups go figure.
    we have our 6th child due in august this year and I promised myself and wifey that I'll get back to what I wieghed when I retired in 04'.
    I'm hoping either I get inspired by friends or she forgets lol.

South Beach Diet ?
    Does it require to be stateside? Does it require to buy fresh food everyday?
    You don't get these answers on the site unless you sign-up it seems.

Premium Member

I used to go to the gym at least 3 to 4 times a week fir years, mostly doing weights, machines & some cardio. But I got so bored of doing this, I was uninspired and needed a change. So I started running, and have kept it up for over a year now. In fact I am doing my first half marathon this weekend!
    I have also taken up road cycling and am really getting into that. I think the key is to pick a workout plan that you actually enjoy... This will make you stick with it. As for diet, I try to eat healthy, but do enjoy good food. I just tr to keep cheating to a minimum.