Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Chickens

A laugh a minute
    I got a few idea's from that chart and was just wondering if anyone had any cold hardy chickens that they were raising. We are going to get full grown one's to start with since they are only for eggs and their life with us will only be for 4 months then in the pot they go. But I need to find a good breed so when we can have them year round I will know which one to buy to keep.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

We sure like our Black Australorps. Great layers, great mothers, good meat, handle the cold and the heat. Lots of my friends are switching their flocks out to the australorps. And the biggerst bonus, the roosters are not aggressive. We have never had one attack anyone. They will run up to you like they are going to do something, but then they just stop.

A laugh a minute
    Here is a easy way to water your chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz Baby View Post
    Here is a easy way to water your chickens.

An even easier and cleaner way. This is how I do mine. No buckets to fill, not containers to clean out.

A laugh a minute
    You did a wonderful job on that coop and looks like you can supply your grocery with eggs and chicken soon or sell them at your local farmers market. Thanks for the video, always nice to see someone's idea put into motion and complete.

Thanks, got a lot of young chickens that will need slaughtered soon. We do sell some of the chicks, but try to keep most for meat. Only want to keep about 30 laying hens, and 3 roosters.

The bad thing about raising chickens is you need to be prepared for all out war. Everything on Gods green earth loves to eat them! this would be a good time to learn another survival skill, trapping. I've found nomatter how good your pen is the coon, possum, fox etc... eventually find a way in.

Quote Originally Posted by greyfox View Post
    The bad thing about raising chickens is you need to be prepared for all out war. Everything on Gods green earth loves to eat them! this would be a good time to learn another survival skill, trapping. I've found nomatter how good your pen is the coon, possum, fox etc... eventually find a way in.

I am positiive no coon or opossum will get in mine. The wire is a very heavy duty chain link and every link is welded, or tied with stainless steel .060 wire. The bottom is also chain link. I have used this chain link to hold wild boars on many occasions and never had any broken links. Besides I have 3 guard dogs. And we kill any predator we see.

Mine do free range, so during the day I do loose one every now and then. Mostly hawks, but I am putting a stop to that.
    Last edited by helomech; 04-25-2012 at 01:40 AM.

A laugh a minute
    Our little Chicken wagon. Built on a yard cart from Tractor Supply. Three nest boxes inside with 4 roosting logs too. We have 4 hens. Automatic water from rain barrel. We will free range them as soon as we train them to come when called at night and can put in the coop.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Taz Baby; 07-07-2012 at 04:16 PM.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.