Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chickens

I'll most likely shit myself

Yeah chicken crap is extremely high in Nitrogen. If you don't compost it first it will burn anything you put it on. Corn being a very heavy nitrogen feeder will benifit greatly from a healthy speading on chicken crap in the fall/winter, before planting in the spring.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

This kind of talk makes me wonder how big our gardens would be if 3 or 4 of us were neighbors.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Oh God! They'd probably be massive. Just think of all the serious vittles we'd be puttin down. +1000

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

i'll be the group mooch. because apparently my crops are hail magnets. I'l stay away from the group garden and try not to starve....
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

nice--lol

Just been a rough year for gardens. Happens sometime. Just till we have NO rain for long streches. I that's even worse.

Finally got all the chickens moved to the chicken tractor last week. I moved the roosters in 2 at a time over 3 days and they did just fine. I thought it funny that they were all packing into one of the nesting boxes (18" in all 3 directions). I next moved in all the hens together that night all seemed well. Then I found that all of them going into one box wasn't so good. Apparently the whole flock was trying to get in one and one of the hens got crushed.
    The last few days though I am seeing them spread out to all 4 boxes. So all is good so far. They are eating a lot of food and I've got them started on scraps. On top of that they are starting to peck the ground pretty heavy. I moved the tractor after 5 days and they had picked the grass and all down to alomost dirt and left a good deal of litter (crap) behind. This has to be a good thing.

I started using milk crates in my new coop so I could just replace the straw and it wouldn't rot the wood boxes. I will get some pics up soon.

That's a good idea for when I get the permanant coop built. I gotta get started on that as soon as the wheat harvest is over. That look to happen next week I think.

I also used clear platic sheets on the roof to allow light in when its cold out since I'm not running heat. The birds did just fine last winter.