Page 237 of 389 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247287337 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 3889

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but that sounds like the Pinawa area...
    I use a plant called rag weed or stink weed for bug control, what did you use?

Got any pics of your adventure?
    How was fishing?
    On the money sniper. I harvested sage and pineapple weed for bug control. Worked for everything but the spiders.... Not sure how to prevent those bites, but after bite treatment was simple using steeped green tea leaves and plantain weed. Also used plantain for slivers, minor cuts and scrapes.

I have a few pictures on my instagram @cavemansurvival. About midway through my trip I stopped taking pics to just focus on what needed to be done.

I had two friends come with me and one brought his dog... A well trained black lab named raider. What a help. He retrieved all the blackbirds I shot, pulled out all the ridge poles and smallish wood I chopped down. He'd bring them to the pile, run back in to where I was cutting and do it all over again.

Fishing was ok. Got better once I started using frogs as bait. I have to admit though, I'm not the greatest fisherman, but I got some food in my belly so I guess that's good enough.

I'm planning a couple of days hike on the mantario trail in late September / early October. I'm preparing for that now... Getting work on my stamina and cardio

For the Love of Cats

It isn't the greatest for catch and release, but if you're eating what you catch then try using small snelled hooks. about a #2 with about a foot of line. attach the line to a snap clip with your weight, or something of the ilk, and toss it in while your busy working. the fish bites, and with the small hook will often swallow the hook and all.
    pull the fish in and just unclip the snell from the snapclip, and put on a new one. minimal time wasted and you're back to fishing. when you fillet your fish, you can recover the snelled hooks.

I have some pineapple weed growing around my place. will have to try throwing a few handfuls into a fire see what the smudge does to the skeeters.

I have had some success using lovage as a spider repellent. place a bunch of leaves around the perimeter of your shelter.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Was planning on a overnight bug-out with the MAG this past Saturday, ended up having some unexpected visitors (had to babysit a friends son who is an infant) so the overnight in the woods got cancelled. Decided to go ahead and do the bug-out, only to have everyone basically do their setup in the front yard and work on skills since we know all skills are perishable!
    So, they came over, we set up a time hack, and once we hit that time hack, we had a certain amount of time to affect a bugout and be set up with a basic camp site. All in all, it went pretty great as we had vehicles positioned, tents pitched, and set up in 34 minutes!
    Lesson one was firestarting out of our packs, and I didnt allow the use of lighters or matches! A few of the guys had magnesium blocks and used them, and found out the easier ways of using them, which was kind of pretty cool.
    All in all, it was a good evening, lots of exchanging of ideas, thoughts, SOP's and finding out where we actually sat as far as som eof the gear we choose to use.
    Hopefully a few of the others will chime in and weigh in on their experiences.

Stopped by the local gunshow and picked up another 38 snub nose, couldnt pass up on a cheap deal that was a cash-n-carry deal!

Picked up another 1500 rounds of 223/556, Copes Distributing has it on sale with free shipping on orders over $50, it was steel case, but as I had mentioned in another post, I dont mind using steel case ammo.

Also took KuhlDude over to one of my favorite hidden shopping spots, its a surplus store that has all sorts of off the wall stuff, we managed to pick up some good door-bashing-clawing equipment for 50% off and a metric-butt-ton of seeds for sale, so of course we stocked up on them! Other than that, been working on some military stuff and working on spending quality time with the family before I have to leave again.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

For the Love of Cats

So what's the new magnesium trick?

Sounds like a good day!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Where's the epi?

Still helping BWRR to build our beautiful chicken coop so I never have to buy another store bought chicken product again! One step closer to being self sufficient. Yahoo!
    I apologize for nothing...

CC Gray Panther
    Sniper T is wondering if you have a kitty coop also I bet.

Where's the epi?

Hmmmm...great idea. I could go up to his place and catknap all of of his kitties and bring them here

For the Love of Cats

You're always welcome for a visit LH... but once you get a kitty coop built I'll ship you all the kitties I can find! Where did I put that pitchfork again...

Where's the epi?

Is that what y'all consider catch and release up there?

Crotch Rocket

Ok. I'm on a train for the next 4 hours, at a minimum, so I'm gonna use the time to catch up with ya'll.

I've discussed the Kershaw I got for my birthday already, and referenced my property improvements. Those are relevant simply because I've progressed nicely in using my chainsaw. No wood large enough I've needed to notch it yet, but I've managed to clear 280' x 20' -ish of property line without cutting or dropping a tree on myself. Progress.

I've learned of an underground greenhouse called a walipini. I'll get a thread up discussing that soon. I've bought a Sawyer mini-filter rated to .1 micron, which means it should even block e. coli, which damn near took my ass out once. I also picked up some wetfire tinder for the first time. I have yet to use either. I grabbed a 2 ounce can of Sabre Red Pepper Gel for a family dispute. I was disappointed it remained undeployed on Wednesday because I wanted to be able to post a review of its effectiveness here. My favorite scores, though, have been the Crossbreed appendix holster and mag carrier , or maybe the SOE Low Profile EDC belt, and a combat cock. So far I've only slapped one person with that last so its hard to decide

The garden is growing very well this year. A couple neighbors have stopped and asked us if we planned on selling the excess or feeding the whole county! Lol. For the first time since we started our onions have grown. We've already harvested some zuchinni, a pile of strawberries, and well over a gallon of pickling cucumbers that we've brined and refrigerated. All 10 of our asparagus plants are up.

I'm down 30 pounds from where I started this summer, despite no recent gym activity. The shift to a day schedule tore me up for a bit, and now my lower back is screaming again and I suspect I may also have an inguinal hernia. The dr. appointment is already set for next week.

Despite that, I also managed to stack about 6 weeks of firewood in my shed yesterday, with another two months worth sitting outside ready to be split. No frozen, wet wood to fight with this winter! That sucked last year.

This summer really has been insane, really. One big push to get all of the projects done that we have in the works. I haven't even gotten my AR out to zero it yet! I have a 100 yard range in my yard and its been ready to go since this winter. Pistol is different though, I've at least had those out because I've been playing range safety officer and instructor for a couple of my dad's friends. I'm finding the interest in teaching somebody how to do things safely and properly has really upped my awareness of my own shortcomings. I still have a long way to go with the one, but we got her familiar enough with different guns that I was comfortable taking her to help select her first one. She's in her 70's, so this took some time, and we settled on a Ruger LC 380 because it felt good and she could work the action/ controls without issue.

With that I'll say I also got to handle a Tavor at that shop. I want one now.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!