Page 221 of 389 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231271321 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 3889

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

The ground frost has sunk below 7 feet in my city, and over 700 people have had their pipes freeze, with another 3000 on an at-risk list (mostly old homes), my parents home being one of them at risk. The city told them to run a tap in their house at a slow trickle (approx 4 litres and hour) and they will be credited te water consumption on their bills.

what does this mean for me? Free water!!!!

I have been making trips there daily filling up all of my saved gallon milk jugs, taking them back to my place and filling up my water catchment systems. The city figures it will be this way for at least a few more weeks.

Sadly, this will prob mean that water rates will explode next year... But in te mean time it's all gravy for this years gardening season.

@stormfeather I never have any luck dehydrating potatoes. I can never get them to rehydrate to a palatable consistency. Any tips?

@bacpacker damn rights it's global warming. Can't think of another reason for such wild climate swings in the last decade

I'll most likely shit myself

Yep global warming for certain. Just like has been going on since at least the dinosour period. Heats up and cools back down. I wonder what man was doing back then to screw things up??????? Hmmmmm

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    Ive been listening to Jack Spirco podcast... trying to get smarter. Also continuing to pay on my HK P30's law-a-way. Took daughter shooting her 1911.

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

What have you done to prep this week?

@bacpacker ... Sure it's cyclical... But that doesn't mean it hasn't been accelerated since the industrial revolution.

I like to consider myself somewhat a prepper. Which means I not only prepare for when bad things happen, but I proactively prepare to ensure it doesn't happen. I shovel the snow away from my foundation so my basement doesn't leak, I compost my kitchen scraps so I decrease garbage output as well as provide me with valuable humus for my garden, I repurpose as many items as I can so that I morally am not over contributing to polluting industries. Am I wrong to want to not breathe, eat and drink foul air, food and water? Nope.

Yes Mother Earth heals itself, and will again, but does so through natural means. When we unnaturally deforest, pollute, and lift our noses at conservation, all the while narrow mindedly believing the actions of 7 billion people aren't contributing to the unbalance in nature... Well then, we aren't prepping... We are already giving up.

Edit**** realized I rambled. Here's the tl;dr version....

I realize some don't believe in global warming or climate change, I understand that... But what's the harm in becoming more responsible stewards of Mother Earth. We can only benefit from doing so. If there is no emp, nuclear war, asteroid collision, zombie outbreak in your lifetime will you look back at your prepping and say it was a waste? No, you'll be happy that you were prepared. These actions of stewardship are pre-preps in my eyes.

Ok, so maybe it wasn't quite a tl;dr version lol

plenty of extra room "down his pants"
    I like Cave's way of thinking... Im not sold that we dont have an impact on our environment, but the climate is another thing all together. Just having some respect for mother nature I think, like Cave does... its our responsibility to have a minimalist impact while were here... This doesnt mean we have to be tree huggers... just responsible adults.

I also respect Cave's position on preparedness, the one thing I like about this forum is were all respectful of individual's thinking.... This deesnt mean I wont try to convince Cave that he needs sixty years of food and millions of rounds of ammo, but if he doesnt do that I have no ill regard toward him.

I know were all like minded, but we dont all have to conform to certain standards to feel like members... and thats one of the things I like about this forum and the membership.

And now, back to the thread subject...

EB
    "Takes .357 to the field... every time..."
    "AR - America's Rifle"
    "Bushido, an honourable way of life"

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Got the fishing rods out over the weekend to get them ready so l can load up the freezer when this weather breaks. Marked my corners for the garden.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

I'll most likely shit myself

CS, no disrespect intended. My Smart ass comes out every now and then.
    I agree that man has polluted most everything around. Mostly in the pursuit of money. I also agree that we should try to lessen our impact as much as we can. All our scraps are either composted or feed to the chickens. Everything possible is reused till it's used up. For example, when i change oil, it gets saved, filtered, and reused in the chainsaw as bar oil. Any wood scraps from projects go to heat the house. Metal is saved for other projects. IMO the greatest conservationist/stewards in the world are farmers and hunters. Without it, they will produce little or nothing at all. Climate change is a real thing, like I said before it's been going on for many years and will continue as long as the planet exists.
    Prep on.

Crotch Rocket

I see I'm not the only one thinking about fishing. It won't be too much longer and I'll be out trying my luck for some Whitefish or Salmon. I haven't done that for a few years, but its so close to school, and I have time before class on a couple days...

We got a spring teaser this week, but then another huge dump of snow today. It really is starting to feel like getting shit on.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    I see I'm not the only one thinking about fishing. It won't be too much longer and I'll be out trying my luck for some Whitefish or Salmon. I haven't done that for a few years, but its so close to school, and I have time before class on a couple days...

We got a spring teaser this week, but then another huge dump of snow today. It really is starting to feel like getting shit on.
    Y'all are tougher than me, I can't understand how people live in deserts, or places where it gets really cold. I like to visit, but I just couldn't live in either one. All of my fruit trees are flowering out, so if it freezes again, we're screwed.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Ak.... You'd hate it here then.. We earn the nickname winterpeg.

@bacpacker no disrespect taken. My response to you was a sly jab which somewhere turned into a vent about those (not you) who dismiss climate change and global warming and pin some kind of tree hugging conspiracy on lefty's and their pandering to the green energy contingent. As I have said before and will continue to preach until I die... Left and right only care about who's contributions will carry them politically forward. And while donations and hefty board appointments come there way, it's the people who suffer from their exploitation of our world. Many greens have a twisted outlook on what is safe viable energy as well.... But that's a discussion for another time or another thread. I'll stop hijacking this one... For now hehehe