Quote Originally Posted by mollypup View Post
I looked at a solar kit on Harbor Freight yesterday but didn't make the plunge to buy it. I'm still trying to figure out everything that I'll need and how to hook it all together. It's so hard trying to figure out which the best 12 v deep cycle battery, which is the best inverter I can get for the amount I have to spend (not much) and how do I get the whole thing working? I bought a book on solar panel uses but it's waaaaay over my head and starts off with bigger projects than I had in mind. I'd just like to be able to use a computer, maybe the TV and to recharge batteries and electronics. That kit on Harbor Freight only gives you the panels, but not a battery. I can't remember now if it included a inverter. Is there a thread here somewhere discussing solar panels and how to use them????

BTW, I ordered one of these earlier this morning. A dutch oven from Amazon for about 40 dollars. Amazon.com: Universal Housewares Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Camping Dutch Oven: Kitchen & Dining
PLease excuse my tardines for I have been engaged in finishing me chores. (finishing trim in hallway,hallway closet, foyer closet and foyer, oh and the teadle sewing machine)

Here's what I can tell you about the Harbor Freight solar kit that I have so far.

CHICAGO ELECTRIC Model 90599
45 WATT Solar Kit

Specific points of interest include:
-Each panel is rated @15 watts and has a 10ft power lead, sheilded for outdoor use approxomately 16-18 guage wire.

-Comes with a mounting bracket to hold all three panels

-Battery not included (what's new)

-Additional items included were a set of two 12VDC wire leads with standard thread light bulb recepticle and two 12v light florecent bulbs

-System is rated @14.5 V~/ 15W, Open circuit Voltage 23.5ocv, Adapter Outlets 3, 6, 9, and 12VDC

-The regulator provides the following protection:
Over-Discharge Protection: it will shut down if the voltage goes below 11 volts.
Overcharge Protection: shuts down if it goes above 14.5v
Overload Protection: if output current exceeds 4amps fuse blows.

-Also has a 5v USB port.........computer?

OK, that's all for now, I hope some of this has been nelpful. I'm going to start the "performance" round when I get a break in the weather, been rainin so I can't seem to get a damn thing accomplished around here lately. Soooooooooooo?

Be safe................the night is your friend