Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you practiced your Bug Out?

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by prepguide View Post
    Another factor that was a downside for some of the members was not having a written checklist of what they planned on bringing.
    Good reminder, I can imagine the chaos of bugging out and how critical a list would be, it would suck to be on the road and realize that you forgot an important piece of gear.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

prepguide
    Kodiak I completely agree, if a situation arises that requires you to bug out then the stress level will be high enough and if something important is left behind, oh man it could get really bad.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

I don't see how you could even think of a bug out with out a list.....cause if you gotta go....the S has HTF....and you will be moving at a quickened pace....and forgetful.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Bacon saver

GUILTY!!!!!! All I can say is "READ AND HEAD" great post all should do this, the election is upon us, stupid things are happening, I'm not going into politics, military air traffic is has increased tremendously in my area over the last few months like never before and we've lived here for 5 years. Look at who I am....I would not point out this observation if I did not think it important. This is a good drill, this is good for the family, pre-stage, get your family used to it, make it a game. Learn how to "Combat cargo load"# your gear, What get's set up first goes in last. Weight distribution is crucial, especially with trailers. Your kids can participate and have fun with this and have fun, make it a game, help mommy and daddy.

Set up, Do a couple of drills (load out), then hit the road to a camp ground, do a weekend campout (overnighter) with the kids so they won't think it's all in vain. Then do your AAR/lessons learned before it get's cold. HINT: ELECTION IT WHEN IT GET'S COLD........................Deep thought by Brownwater Riverrat.............

HEY PREPGUIDE!........Great post.............got any fire? let's put it under their arses...................

*NOTE* Tennessee Grip-n-Grin was a good drill for us lot's of lessons learned.
    Last edited by Brownwater Riverrat 13; 10-06-2012 at 02:37 PM.
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    I don't see how you could even think of a bug out with out a list.....cause if you gotta go....the S has HTF....and you will be moving at a quickened pace....and forgetful.
    Not quite sure I follow what you said Echo2 but I would think you'd have a (laminated) check off list with an attached grease pencil maybe? Which I don't....yet all bag or boxes Numbered with that being the order i which they get get thrown in there. That's if you were anally organized. As a Combat Cargo Loadmaster.......I wore many hats........you had to mange many a crisis and had to rely on those skills for many situations/missions. They all came back in one form or fashion. Once the fog cleared you'd be suprised at what you'd have learned over the years.

I'll be questioned about all this later by the LadyHK!.........trust me..........
    Be safe.............the night is your friend.

A clip board with the list taped to it....and a pencil.

As I've stated in my previous post....I'm not planning on taking everything....the list is for essentials.

All food...there is a stack of totes in the utility room just for this.

A lot of gear we already have in totes....due to the fact it stays there for Scout camping.

We keep the toiletries in totes...and draw from them as necessary....TP is a filler of dead spaces

The safes have a list of what to leave....everything else comes with us.

But the list if for junk you wouldn't normally get.....

All the flashlights, spare batteries, batteries out of remotes, smoke detectors, towels and wash cloths, cast iron, canners, etc....

It turns into a big list....and you will forget a crucial gear if you don't have a list.

How realistic does this line sound?...."oh crap....those extra cartridges for the water filter are in the shelf next to the....."

You can gather it in trash bags for all it really matters....sort it out later.

BTW....your list should have a priority to it also....."have to haves" at the top...."want to haves" after that. Never know when your packing could be cut short.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

I'll most likely shit myself

Good point on orginizing your load. Last in first out of a Suv, trailer, or covered truck. Whar you need first has to be easy to get to. For me shelter, water, major med stuff. Prolly more weapons and ammo after that. I just assume everyone would have weapons handy all the time a a fair loadout of quick ammo to grab

When I write about this....it's about leaving my home and going to the BOL for an extended period......not "holy crap the house is on fire"