Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing with Meat!

For the Love of Cats

er... um... Kesephist, why did you delete your post? it asked valid questions and offered awesome personal opinions.

Vodin, I don't eat hotdogs, so cannot offer any insight into them other than to mention what I witnessed as a kid touring a local packing company...

shovel any spillage off the floor into the slurry, ash your cigarette into the slurry, spit and cough into the slurry...

As for non-cased sausages, make your mix a little thicker, and press out directly onto a tray. let sit for a couple hours to 'set' and then smoke or bake or fry as necessary.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

I used to work for a packing house and totally concur with Snipers offering. BTW, hotdogs and bologna is the same thing, just different packaging. Nothing is waster either.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    er... um... Kesephist, why did you delete your post? it asked valid questions and offered awesome personal opinions.

Vodin, I don't eat hotdogs, so cannot offer any insight into them other than to mention what I witnessed as a kid touring a local packing company...

shovel any spillage off the floor into the slurry, ash your cigarette into the slurry, spit and cough into the slurry...

As for non-cased sausages, make your mix a little thicker, and press out directly onto a tray. let sit for a couple hours to 'set' and then smoke or bake or fry as necessary.
    Hmm... Lemme check...

Not in my history section... feh.

Note to self: do not post or edit while sleep deprived.

I may be being beset by others. I dimly recall being on an NCIS:LA website and making some MILD criticisms about the Vicious Pixie.

For the Love of Cats

If it was an accident, no biggie. I restored it.

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Hmmm...still Hot Dogs have charm that I am interested in producing. I am not that messy with the meats to where I will shovel it into a slurry. I guess I will just put the scraps of my meats all into a batch. That sounds like the most likely answer

Than you Sniper-T what you have presented me will be done in my kitchen, minus bodily fluids, buts and other various non meat like substances.

For the Love of Cats

lol!

sorry Vodin, I do, or at least I should realize and accept that some people do like hot dogs, regardless of my personal opinions.

I talked to a buddy who makes a year supply at a time, for his 4 kids, and them (shudder), he will dig out his recipe, but he was able to tell me that he cut back on the recipe to a 50:50 mix for meat:fat. He also makes a couple batches of 50:25:25 beeforkork fat for his wife and him.

He will get me the spice blend that he buys, and let me know the process for you.

Sorry bud, I didn't mean to disillusion hotdogs for you (gag)

Nor do I wish to discourage you from making them (urk)

Sorry, I just threw up through my nose a little!

Bon appetite!

I have still yet to grow a brain
    LOL it is only meat!

I can understand your distaste and revulsion but hey you had the inside vision of what was occurring.

This also explains why I wont buy pre ground meat ever again. Sadly I will need to buy grocery store meat still since I have not found a farmer close to me.

For the Love of Cats

Do you have a grinder? If you can buy things like 'pork loins' or roasts, and grind them yourself, you are head and shoulders above when it comes to quality of meat... as opposed to buying misc ground meat.

know, that more fat has more taste, but is also more likely to burn, sizzle/split/etc. most store bought's run (or at least used to, I haven't followed this in a while) between 60-75% fat. This is my buddy's concession, in that he cuts back to 50:50. which is quite common for many non-store bought tube steaks.

The beauty of making sausage, is that you can play with mixes, spices, brines and casings...
    Tabula Rasa!

For the Love of Cats

My neighbor texted me yesterday, saying he got a bear and was stuck working late today and needed some help butchering it, so I headed over after work and gave him a hand...

The set up:

The victim:

With a 10-1/2" buck knife for perspective:

The hide:

The proud papa:

tipped the scales just shy of 400 lbs, 7'2" from nose to toes.

I got over 100 #'s of meat out of the deal... so SCORE!

For the Love of Cats

Did something new last night... I canned 14 pints of bear meat! I've canned fish before, but never meat, so I'm anxious to try this in a couple weeks and see how they are.

I seasoned them in pairs, trying a bunch of different things for some variety:
    2 jars - ketchup
    2 jars - bbq
    2 jars - thai chili peppers (4 and 6 whole peppers respectively)
    2 jars - Franks Red Hot
    2 jars - Italian Salad dressing
    2 jars - chili powder
    2 jars - Cracked black pepper

Added a 1/2 tbsp. of course salt per jar

Pressure canned for 90 minutes at 15 #'s