Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cpr instructions and guidelines: A free online basic training course

Yes, its short. No, its not his attention span.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    A question I'd like to pitch if tis okay... Has anyone here ever done CPR? Other than apssbc since hes a career medic IIRC...
    Far more than I care to. But again, I'm in EMS so I have more opportunities

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by ditchmedic View Post
    Far more than I care to. But again, I'm in EMS so I have more opportunities
    As am i... Had my first Cardiac Arrest monday...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Where's the epi?

Yup, Army Combat Medic...long time ago. Worked ER and the Fire Depts, took a couple of refresher CPR certs but the last one was in 2004 so things have changed even since then. They didn't do bare mouth to mouth then, we got the barrier device and I still have that. The thing that never changes in class is:
    ANNIE, ANNIE.......ARE YOU ALL RIGHT? ARE YOU ALL RIGHT????????????????????????????????? Arg!!!!!!!!!
    I apologize for nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    Yup, Army Combat Medic...long time ago. Worked ER and the Fire Depts, took a couple of refresher CPR certs but the last one was in 2004 so things have changed even since then. They didn't do bare mouth to mouth then, we got the barrier device and I still have that. The thing that never changes in class is:
    ANNIE, ANNIE.......ARE YOU ALL RIGHT? ARE YOU ALL RIGHT????????????????????????????????? Arg!!!!!!!!!
    haha, mouth to mouth is back to being a taboo deal... dont get caught doing it down here unless you want to be collecting food stamps...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

It is called Continuous chest compressions. Here is a good video about this process.

This method has been proven to work. Here is a video of a complete flatlined individual for more then an hour and came back to life and kept his brain intact with no damage.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    This method has been proven to work. Here is a video of a complete flatlined individual for more then an hour and came back to life and kept his brain intact with no damage.

While it works, CPR survival rates are still quite low... This was an exception to the majority of Cardiac Arrests... In a survival situation, CPR is essentially useless unless you have a trained team of providers with the needed drugs and equipment to support resuscitation and post resuscitation measures and procedures... Even then, you have to correct the initial cause of cardiac arrest, which is highly unlikely to happen in a survival situation.

Edit: Well, apparently this thread popped back up 2 days shy of a year from my first code I worked...

For the Love of Cats

I've done it a couple of times back in my lifeguarding days. I taught both CPR and first aid for a number of years as well, I have no 'immediate' use for them now, but I still do my recerts as required. Never a bad thing.

It is amazing to think how much CPR has changed over the years, yet how much has stayed the same. If you have an AED arround, they up the chances of survival exponentially, if administered properly. A lot of regular businesses and public venues have them already, and more are putting them in regularly. If you can take a course on administering them, I would highly recommend it.
    The life you save, may be your loved one.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    I keep wanting to look into purchasing a AED just to have one. . .I may have to ask Kuhldude about that and see if he can get me a discount!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    I keep wanting to look into purchasing a AED just to have one. . .I may have to ask Kuhldude about that and see if he can get me a discount!
    Expensive, as are the pads... about 150 bucks a pop... batteries aren't cheap either... Wish they were cheaper to make them more common in public places...