Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Emergency Loadout

Claptrap's Problem Solver

I had a ITW Fastmag mounted about 10 o'clock as a "go-to" mag pouch. In other words, that's the first position I would reach for mag changes. It made for a convenient and fast mag change after endless reps.

While the fastmag is a handy item it is subject to dropping the mag when you go prone. Spewing mags on the deck isn't overly handy. After some searching I decided to give the HSGI Taco a try.

The mag sits much deeper and adjusting the tension on the mag is far easier. Mounting these make you want to say words like @(@#(@# and @^!(#)* and furthermore (@*#)@&*&*. Holy crap. I did find the use of a Molly Stix (a new product at SKD Tactical) made mounting far easier.

I went with the double decker to move pistol ammo off the front of the plates and allow me to lay lower prone.

So far doing dry work in the office it seems to be mounted well and feels good. That, of course, means diddly so I look forward to getting these out in the real world.

Which leads me to a slight modification to allow for training in a PC.....
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I invested in a set of training plates from Team Wendy.

These allow you to duplicate the weight and size of real plates without exposing your rifle plates to potential damage and cracking. Just remember to switch them out when you are done training!

More info HERE
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

NVG....totally a work deduction!

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I invested in a set of training plates from Team Wendy.

These allow you to duplicate the weight and size of real plates without exposing your rifle plates to potential damage and cracking. Just remember to switch them out when you are done training!

More info HERE
    I need some of those.

I also look forward to a review of the mag pouches. I try new things all the time, but my current rifle mag pouches are from tyr tactical (as is my armor, Pico-MV and brokos belt)

I like them, but always considering something better.

Ok...evolution continues. Just exchanged the triple open-topped mag pouches for a double closed top style. They are either LBTC or Eagle Ind....can't really recall.

Also moved the compass pouch (that contains an izzy bandage and a small packet of celox) from the front the triple shingle to directly on the plate carrier.

I've also added a EESE Izula knife and moved the TQ that used to be on the front of the triple shingle over to the side of the plate.

All of this is aimed at making going prone far easier.

It will be a week or so until I get to the range but the next session will be carbines and I will take the LMAC with me to try it out shooting from various positions including right on the deck. I'm not sure I'm digging this but we'll see. I don't like the idea of only having 4 total mags but let's face it, even if the entire country melts down I'm too old to run-n-gun. Most likely will be a very brief self-defense type scenario.

I'll deal with that errant hydration tube later on.

Let him know if you need 550 cord, a hank of generic rope, and some duct tape

Did some revamping on the BOB, which is now a GHB. I downsized from the large ALICE to a Camelbak Linchpin, which surprisingly holds everything I crammed into it, and pretty comfortably too. I originally bought the Camelbak as just an outdoors rig for hiking and biking, but I loaded it with my 72hr load out for fun and it turned out almost perfect.

Contents:
    3L hydration bladder

Main pouch:
    Extra pants and shirt, double zip-locked, hopefully waterproof.
    Small hygiene kit
    3 freeze dried meals
    Hand crank radio w/ siren and light/strobe.

Top pocket:
    Socks and foot care stuff, half a roll of TP, multi fuel backpacking stove, and sunglasses.

Side pocket 1:
    Waterproofed fire starting kit packed inside a canteen cup w/ box of strike anywhere matches, 2 Bic lighters, flint and steel, and some trioxane tablets. Also in this pocket is a small propane canister for my backpacking stove.

Side pocket 2:
    60rnds 30-30 (I can fit more, and will when I find it)

Main front pocket:
    Basic first aid kit w/ some trauma items
    Basic hand tools and Leatherman multi-tool
    Small LED flashlight
    2 sharpies, orange and black
    25ft 550 cord
    100rnds .22LR
    Small amount of duct and electrical tape
    Small tube of super glue

Small front pocket:
    Maps of my area
    Compass
    Folding knife
    Small signaling mirror

In between the Main and front pockets, there is a "dump" area where I keep a collapsible canteen with 2 quarts of water for cooking/extra hydration. This can be cinched down so it won't fall out. A KABAR will be attached to one of the main shoulder straps for easy access.

Some things I'm going to add are some tent stakes, and a tarp, for a makeshift shelter. I was also thinking about adding another very small emergency fire starting kit, just in case the main one gets lost or wet. I'll probably take a hint from Izzy and add a small flask with some good liquor as well, just in case.

Here's the just-about-fully-stuffed Linchpin along side a half-packed large ALICE for comparison:

If anyone has any criticisms or suggestions, please chime in. I am very open to suggestions. This is a work in progress and aside from a 10 mile hike, I have not gotten a chance to thoroughly test it yet.
    Last edited by MegaCPC; 06-19-2013 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added a few things

Next is my ohshitibetterstartshootingback rig that I just started. I recently picked up a plate carrier, and haven't got plates for it or set it up yet, but here it is anyway:

Hopefully I will have an updated version in the near future.

I'll most likely shit myself

I like the set up for a GHB. Sounds like most all bases are covered very well. One thing I missed was some method of purifing additional water. I have multiple purifiers, but keep treatment tabs or crystals in my GHB for lighter weight/easier to deal with quickly. I don't think I saw a headlamp listed either.

How does the linch pin compare to the Camelback Mule? I've been looking at one of those for a GHB.

I knew I was forgetting something.

In that little pouch pocket on the canteen cover there are some purification tablets, but I'm planning on getting a dedicated water filter for this pack. It will probably be a Katadyn Hiker, as I have heard lots of good things about them.

I didn't even think to include a headlamp as I already had a flashlight, but going by the 2 is 1 rule, now I'll probably toss my headlamp in there too. Thank you for the tips.

I don't have any experience with the MULE, but my dad had one of the early ones and I remember it being pretty small. Checking Camelbak's website, the Linchpin has approx. 1800 cubic inches of space, compared to the MULE which has 671 cubic inches. The non-military/tactical version of the MULE has 732 cubic inches. So the Linchpin has almost 3 times as much storage space, and I've got mine packed pretty full.

The only thing I wish this one had was some MOLLE webbing on the front pouch for additional attachments, but I think it might get too heavy for it's size with anything else strapped to it. I would just relocate the first aid kit to the outside of the pack for easier access.
    Last edited by MegaCPC; 06-19-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: grammar

I'll most likely shit myself

Thanks for the review of the MULE. The bag you have just reminded me of it.

I have been using headlamps for so long, they just come natural to me now. I do keep flashlights around in various bags, etc. but the headlamp is what I reach for first.

I to have added stuff on different packs and screwed up the balance. It's not really worth adding much to an existing pack. Better to go with a bigger bag, unless it's just something for a small amount, like a FAK or fire kit.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by MegaCPC View Post
    Next is my ohshitibetterstartshootingback rig that I just started.
    LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by MegaCPC View Post
    I'll probably take a hint from Izzy and add a small flask with some good liquor as well, just in case.
    if you have to use the
    ohshitibetterstartshootingback rig
    , you might have need for it.

Glad I can contribute to the colony's alcoholism rate.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.